Mopar cam info

Itsmekylep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How many different types of cams did Mopar offer for these trucks? How can you tell which one you have if at all? Still fighting my engine noise at certain rpm's and if I take the valve covers off and need to replace a spring I was told certain cams may need different springs/push rods? :dontknow:

How stock is your truck? If you got it with the stock airbox, stock exhaust, stock everything…I would be willing to bet its just the stock cam. If you got it with tons of mods already done to it then I would first try and get in touch with the previous owner to see what all was done.

previous owner gave me the stock cam, stock air box, stock exhaust etc... unfortunetly it was the owner before him that did all the upgrades. The guy i bought it from owned it for 4 months and just let it collect dust.

Gotcha, well if you know for sure it has a cam, and you in fact have a busted spring. Get some Comp 918 springs and replace all of them.

Do you think it would run pooley with a broken spring? My truck runs fine, just sounds weird from 2k-3500 rpms loud clicking/clattering

Im really not sure young pinocchio, I would imagine it would have some negative effect on performance. That sound could be anything. Best bet would be to post a vid and let the more experienced Viper guys give you their opinion.

You should hear anything that noisy. Lifters and rockers have a good bit of noise already. 918 springs will work great

Damn pinnocchio pic. This noise is def. not normal. I cant imagine it being anything crazy because it runs great and ive put 2-3k miles. Its just weird and makes me not want to drive it. I dont think It could get the noise on video I have to be moving under a load and next to something to bounce the noise off of. When i drive under a bridge you can really hear it.

At idle it sounds fine. Even in neutral if i rev it, it doesnt even sound abnormal. After driving back from CA when i bought it, it had a very light knock but went away when the clutch was pushed in but I havent heard that since.

At idle it sounds fine. Even in neutral if i rev it, it doesnt even sound abnormal. After driving back from CA when i bought it, it had a very light knock but went away when the clutch was pushed in but I havent heard that since.

Well, could very well be a spring then. Since you have a cam it would be a good idea to go ahead and do the 918 springs anyway.

Sometimes the baffles in the valve covers come loose on one end and a rocker ARM will cause that ticking nosie

Sometimes the baffles in the valve covers come loose on one end and a rocker ARM will cause that ticking nosie

I saw you had posted this somewhere else. I am going to check that this weekend. Should i replace the valve cover gaskets while im there?

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back