Mopar Headers Install Help

Da1Chief

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Getting ready to install the Mopar Headers on my 06 QC next month. I have notice several different items that have cropped up with other installs and have made a few notes to check during my install to eliminate future problems. This is directed more to the Mopar Headers and Mids but I suspect would apply to almost any of the Header Brands.

Virginia requires Cats for State Inspection so I am going with High Flow Cats Installed into the Mids. The Mopar Mids already have the Bungs for O2 sensors and also a bung for the A/F (If I put one in). I know some have tied the O2s up but since I have the bungs already there I will be installing them.

Some things I have noticed are:

Make sure they are coated (The ones I am getting already are)
If the Headers are Coated DON'T Wrap them (holds too much heat in and will burn the coating off)
1. Sounds right but is this true?
Damaged O2 Sensors or Crushed Wires causing error codes;
O2 Wires too close to the headers and burn through or are damaged;
1. Should they be heat wrapped?
2. How far away from the headers do the wires need to be?
3. Where do I get and what brand of O2 extensions for the QC?
Only use the Factory OEM Gaskets
Wrap items close to the Headers
1. Which items/parts do I need to wrap to prevent damage?
Some have trimmed Fenders back up to 3 inches
1. Is this necessary or simply a safety zone?
Cut the Mids for Cat Install and Clamp (Do not weld in, burns the coating off)
1. Where is the best location for them to be cut in?
2. Closer to the Collector or further back?
Pull the Fender Wheel Liners during install to get better access
Some have changed bolts out
1. Should I change the bolts out with new?
2. If so should it be OEM bolts or SS?
Make sure the Header Heat Shield is put back in place.

Like I said these are some of the things I have read and stuck in my head. If there is anything else I need to be concerned about Please Chime-In and let me know. I don't want to go back in and fix something that I could have prevented by some proper planning and proper install procedures. (Proper Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance)

Last edited:
Sandy, just them to me. I'll try them on my truck first and make sure everything fits okay.:D

Had my long tube headers wrapped initially...was still way too hot in the engine compartment. Even with the wrapping there were a couple of places where the plastic shields were melted.

I got the headers JetHot Coated and it eliminated the heat problems. I currently have nothing wrapped. Some of the steering components come with shields, leave them in place.

Wires need to be three inches or more away. One of the problems that happens with our trucks is the burning of ignition wires...and the attendant problems of replacing the wire to the coil pack...

Since coating I have no heat or melt problems...it was one of the best mods I have made on my truck.

Prof said:
Had my long tube headers wrapped initially...was still way too hot in the engine compartment. Even with the wrapping there were a couple of places where the plastic shields were melted.

I got the headers JetHot Coated and it eliminated the heat problems. I currently have nothing wrapped. Some of the steering components come with shields, leave them in place.

Wires need to be three inches or more away. One of the problems that happens with our trucks is the burning of ignition wires...and the attendant problems of replacing the wire to the coil pack...

Since coating I have no heat or melt problems...it was one of the best mods I have made on my truck.

Thanks Steve, Prof... I will make sure the wires are as far away as possible.

Prof, would it be of any use to buy the Heat Wrap Tubing for the Plug wires as a prevention? I would think only 3 or 4 inches on each wire and boot would be needed or would it simply be a waste of money?

Yea, like you need another 35 HP with that SC Sled of yours :)

Heck man, that will be the Only thing I have that you don't... :) I've got to have something for myself every onece in a while...

The Wolf is starting to complain, he hasn't got a toy since last summer (the cat-back) :D

Da1Chief said:
Thanks Steve, Prof... I will make sure the wires are as far away as possible.

Prof, would it be of any use to buy the Heat Wrap Tubing for the Plug wires as a prevention? I would think only 3 or 4 inches on each wire and boot would be needed or would it simply be a waste of money?

As you can see in the pic below...some of my ignition wires are pretty close to the headers...but they have survived very well. The coating is the solution. I did put some heat shield on the wires from the injectors...but only to make them look better...certainly no heat issues there.

Candy3.jpg

Yea, those are getting a little close to the heat. Since I have the stock wires still on it, not the High Temp like Stinker sells I may consider it. When it comes time for new wires the Tony's wires should totally eliminate the need.. Thanks again Prof....

Sandy, I'd take a look at the install instructions for the header kit. If any parts or heat wrap are missing that are called for in the kit, I'd purchase those items and install them. For heat wrap Thermo-Tec Automotive, Inc. offers various heat wrap products. A well stocked local speed shop should be able to help you here. Or give 'ol Stinker a ring -- I now he sells the spark plug wire heat socks. For O2 wiring protection, I don't think it would hurt to insulate the leads but do make sure the wiring is routed without sharp radius or kinks and try and keep them as far away as possible from heat sources. For header bolts I would use what the kit calls for or ARP I understand offers locking bolts.

Wrapping the headers after they are coated? Don't know on that one. The only experience I have with coated headers are from my Chevy days when I ran JBA catforward headers on my 5.7 pickup. They were hot, actually too hot to get near but I don't know if that was a function of their coating....

I would recommend new OEM O2's in lieu the used ones, when installing new cats.

Where to buy O2 extenders? If they didn't come with the kit, try JMB. I recall sometime ago he offered extenders with his mids. He may be able to help with just the extensions. Other than that, the only way I know to extend the wiring is to cut the plugs and splice in new wiring. I doubt Mopar sells just the wiring extensions...

talk to Stinker about the extenders for the headers if they dont come with the kit - mopar headers should come with EVERYTHING but in some cases there stuff missing

good luck buddy

I know a few thing will not be with them, getting them used from Alexspop (Donnie). He as already mentined the extenders, don't know about the bolts, but as mentioned I think New bolts are in order.

Tried calling the Stink-Mister the other day but he is running around so much at WOT he just hasn't had a chance to get back to me. Figure I will get pick them up Saturday and will get a list together and contact Stinker then. Simply let him know what I have, then he can fill in the rest :)

So far my list for Tony will be the Spark Plug Socks, some heat wrap, OEM O2 sensors, Extenders, and SS Locking Bolts. :) (You getting this Tony!!! )

Da1Chief said:
I know a few thing will not be with them, getting them used from Alexspop (Donnie). He as already mentined the extenders, don't know about the bolts, but as mentioned I think New bolts are in order.

Tried calling the Stink-Mister the other day but he is running around so much at WOT he just hasn't had a chance to get back to me. Figure I will get pick them up Saturday and will get a list together and contact Stinker then. Simply let him know what I have, then he can fill in the rest :)

So far my list for Tony will be the Spark Plug Socks, some heat wrap, OEM O2 sensors, Extenders, and SS Locking Bolts. :) (You getting this Tony!!! )

Sandy

You'll be getting Stage 8 header/collector bolts and new OEM gaskets with the headers. I've also already installed an extra O2 bung before I had the pipes coated. You'll need to get the O2 extensions and collector gaskets (I recommend the copper type). I would check the heat after running them, the 10s do run hot. I'm running the same coating on my camaro and I can touch the headers within 5 minutes of turning the car off.

Well Folks I picked up the Headers yesterday from Donnie (Alexspop) and all I can say it WOWWW. I can't thank him enough for holding them for me.

Here is a pic of what I picked up from him. Thanks again Donnie I truly appreciate it.
MoparLTHeaderg.jpg

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back