Mopar trailer hitch

moonshine04

Reaction score
Can anyone give me any advice on fitting a hitch to my 04 Srt 10 truck, I am in the UK and ordered a hitch from my local US spares supplier for an 04 Ram Srt10 truck, I know you re not supposed to tow with the srt but I have seen hitches fitted to 04 srts, and I want to take my trailer to weekend meets.
I ve been supplied with a Mopar hitch which needs a big hole drilling through the urethene step part of rear bumper, the ones I ve seen fitted do not seem to have this fixing, dont really want to drill the bumper so does anyone know how to get round this or have I been given the wrong hitch?

Not sure, others will prob give more info soon, but if that's the hitch we would get here in the states, I you shouldn't have to drill a hole in the bumper cover. just the metal part of bumper underneath it.

MYTRAM said:
Not sure, others will prob give more info soon, but if that's the hitch we would get here in the states, I you shouldn't have to drill a hole in the bumper cover. just the metal part of bumper underneath it.
Ok thanks,instructions with hitch show bolt passing through bumper cover then through the metal part and into the thread on the hitch,then the plastic cover snaps over head of bolt, am thinking this hitch maybe for a regular 1500 Ram

You don't have to drill any holes. Just take the cladding off behind both wheels and the bumper cover. You have to fish the bolts down with a wire so its kinda a pain but worth it in the end;)

kyle's srt10 said:
You don't have to drill any holes. Just take the cladding off behind both wheels and the bumper cover. You have to fish the bolts down with a wire so its kinda a pain but worth it in the end;)
So ok the two smaller bolts I have to fish down inside the rear crossmember and the bumper cover will fit over the big central bolt so it will be hidden by the bumper cover

moonshine04 said:
So ok the two smaller bolts I have to fish down inside the rear crossmember and the bumper cover will fit over the big central bolt so it will be hidden by the bumper cover

There should be 2 bolts that go in from the top that will be covered by the bumper cover;)

I have the Mopar brand hitch and I did not drill any holes. Just remove the cladding and it bolts right on. For removing the side cladding you lift up to unhook. Upon installation I put a little masking tape just above the clip on the truck body to prevent the clip on the cladding from scratching the paint as I slid it down to hook them together. Obviously, care should be taken when you lift to unhook. :rock:

Ok I ll have a look at fitting it this week, its just this big bolt that concerns me, its three quarter inch diameter and three inch long, just seems a big bolt head to lose under the bumper cover

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back