More nitrous questions.

Jodurt

Reaction score
So I called a reputable shop around my area and asked about installing a nitrous system. They were glad to do it and gave me a price but I was a little thrown off because they said that they have had so many of these trucks and cars break a piston on the dyno. I understand the liability here without forged pistons and the ring land being so high up but really with a 100 shot of nitrous? It really leads me to doubt their ability to tune. So I was wondering who has actually broken something with that small of a shot.

Hey the best advice is that you need to get a base line tune first so you engine is running primo and then adjust for nitrous... Dont have them just throw it on the dyno and spray thats where u run into trouble

What kind of tuner you using? I run the SCT using Torrie from Unleashed. I spray 125 at least 75 runs and haven't had problems YET. I always use octane booster to be safe.

125 or 150 should be safe any more than that is walking a tightrope. ALWAYS run race gas when spraying.

I was thinking about nitrous too. Do you need a seperate tune for the nitrous? I have a baseline tune from Torrie on my truck now. When I get nitrous, do I have to re-tune or am I good to go? Thanks!

apaden said:
I was thinking about nitrous too. Do you need a seperate tune for the nitrous? I have a baseline tune from Torrie on my truck now. When I get nitrous, do I have to re-tune or am I good to go? Thanks!

Get an additional tune for the nitrous.

apaden said:
Yeah you will need a tune for the nitrous,I have a 93 oct,a nitrous,and a 91 oct tune.

I have a SCT with tunes from Torrie, and I may just see if he can send me a safe tune for a 75 shot. FATJACK- I'm with you and generally I would at the track but I was kind of trying to stay away from having to do that just when I'm playing around in it-so I am quite willing to go less shot with a fat A/F and keep it safe if I could avoid using race gas for the most part. The main thing is I don't really feel to comfortable with this shop now although they have done at least one truck on here. I just thought it might be safer to try to dyno it then to email a tune.

Jodurt said:
I have a SCT with tunes from Torrie, and I may just see if he can send me a safe tune for a 75 shot. FATJACK- I'm with you and generally I would at the track but I was kind of trying to stay away from having to do that just when I'm playing around in it-so I am quite willing to go less shot with a fat A/F and keep it safe if I could avoid using race gas for the most part. The main thing is I don't really feel to comfortable with this shop now although they have done at least one truck on here. I just thought it might be safer to try to dyno it then to email a tune.
If you are only going to run a 75 shot you will be o.k.just get a tune from Torrie for the 75 shot.:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:

Brat said:
If you are only going to run a 75 shot you will be o.k.just get a tune from Torrie for the 75 shot.:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:

What system you running?

FATJACK said:
125 shot or less on a nitrous tune you can get by with 93 octane.
Yeah but I would rather be safe and have a tune for the nitrous only.:rock:

Thanks that clears up alot guys. I noticed some people tappin the intake and others using a TB plate- Any ups or downs to that.

Jodurt said:
Thanks that clears up alot guys. I noticed some people tappin the intake and others using a TB plate- Any ups or downs to that.
Personal perfernce,mine is taped into the cai tube,for me that was the the simplest way to do it.:rock:

nitrous tuning

Brat said:
Yeah but I would rather be safe and have a tune for the nitrous only.:rock:

this is my understanding of nitrous: correct me if i am wrong.
tuning for nitrous is done with the jets, usually the nitrous jet is stepped down if the A/F is lean ,from the base setup. a stock tune is already "safe" with conservative timing and rich WOT fuel curves,for a small shot. the only thing a tuner can do is pull a few degrees of total timing, and doing that with a small shot will cancel the nitrous effect! which then makes you want to go to bigger jets and more power! with more power comes more stress on the already weak connecting rods! these engines HATE detonation, Now , how big a shot can the stock tune handle is anybodys guess. lots of variables come into play when using nitrous, but once you have tuned with a full bottle ,the nitrous pressure will drop which will cause a rich condition ,which isn't to good either! Nitrous is a wild animal!! be prepared to join the "club" anytime you hit the perverbial "switch". So, run good gas, as high an octane as you can . Run a good shot ,like 100 or 125 . have a tuner pull a couple degrees, then tune it with short 3rd or 4th gear blasts ,pull the plugs( all of them) and try to read what is going on detonation wise. listen for detonation, That way , when you hit the switch, enjoy the ride , these trucks love nitrous , BUT the pistons will eventually fly apart and the connecting rods will foldup into a big pile of junk! anytime you hit the switch!!

Iv shot a 100 through mine a few times and had no problems...I use 93 octaine...not racing fuel is that bad jack? :dontknow:

Last edited:
Black Venom-'04 said:
Iv shot a 100 through mine a few times and had no problems...I use 93 octaine...not racing fuel is that bad jack? :dontknow:
You should be fine. I have used the 150 shot on the 93 tune with 93 fuel, but I try not too.

I've ran 10. 10lbs bottles dry 160 shot without a tune for nitrous she's running pig rich with no cats do you guys think I still need to retard the timing?never had a problem knock on wood but I'm no expert.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back