MPG'S

I have never personally run this test on an 06

SELF- DIAGNOSTIC TEST
A self-diagnostic test is used to determine that the EOM is operating properly electrically. Initiate the self-diagnostic
test as follows:
NOTE: The compass mini-trip computer self - test can also be performed using a scan tool. Refer to Auto
Self Test under the System Tests.
1. With the ignition switch in the Off position, simultaneously depress and hold the STEP and RESET buttons while
rotating the ignition switch to the Run/On position.
2. Continue to hold both buttons depressed until the EOM enters the display segment test. In this test, all of the
Vacuum Fluorescent Display (VFD) segments are lighted while the EOM performs the following checks:

²
Non-Volatile Memory Status (NVM)
²

RAM Status
²

ROM Status
²

ASIC Communication Status
²

Compass Status
²

DC Status

² CAN Data Bus Communications Status

NOTE: If module is equipped with the Universal Transmitter, the module also checks “Universal Transmitter
Communication Test Statusâ€.
3. Following completion of these tests, the compass mini-trip computer will display one of two messages: “FAIL†or
“PASS.†Press RESET or STEP to exit and enter normal mode. Respond to these test results as follows:
²

If no test result message is displayed, but compass mini-trip computer operation is still improper, the use of a
scan tool and the proper Diagnostic Procedures Information are required for further diagnosis.
²

If the “FAIL†message is displayed, the EOM is inoperative and must be replaced.
²

If the “PASS†message is displayed, the EOM is OK, no faults are present.
²

If any VFD segment does not light during the display segment test, the EOM is inoperative and must be
replaced.
4. If the first seven tests pass, the compass mini-trip computer shall verify that all the required CAN bus messages
are present on the CAN bus. If all required messages are present on the CAN bus, the EOM will automatically
return to normal operation after sixty seconds. The EOM can also be returned to normal operation any time
during the test by pressing the STEP, CT, RESET or US/M buttons. The required CAN bus messages are:
²

Dimming message
²

VIN (Vehicle Identification Number)
²

Vehicle Speed message
²

Ignition On Time
²

Odometer
²

Trip Odometer
²

Vehicle Configuration (Model Year, Country and Vehicle Platform)
²

Fuel Economy
²

Distance To Empty
² Ambient Air Temperature message

NOTE: Pressing the STEP or RESET switches during any portion of the testing procedure will cause the
compass mini-trip computer to exit diagnostics and return to compass/temperature mode.

NOTE: If the compass functions, but accuracy is suspect, it may be necessary to perform a variation adjustment.
This procedure allows the compass unit to accommodate variations in the earth’s magnetic field
strength, based on geographic location.

NOTE: If the compass reading has blanked out, and only “CAL†appears in the display, demagnetizing may
be necessary to remove excessive residual magnetic fields from the vehicle. Check for stored Diagnostic​
Trouble Codes (DTCs) and follow the proper Diagnostic Procedures as needed.

I could see 7 if you drive it without a care. I average 12 when I stay in town, 15-16 in mixed.

Daily driving to and from base and driving easy I average about 10-11. I think I've peaked before on a long trip at 18. Even when I've driven around town like an ass It stayed at 9.

I'm pretty sure in metric it goes km to gallon

Metric is always L/100km., at least to my knowledge. Its what the overhead console reads in all my vehicles. There is a CAN gallon and a US gal. its something like 1 Can gal = 1.2 US gal ( i think)

I get about 14-17mpg on my 06 QC

Daily driving to and from base and driving easy I average about 10-11. I think I've peaked before on a long trip at 18. Even when I've driven around town like an ass It stayed at 9.

thats my problem from home to work i baby it and i used to average 11 but know the console says 7 and also when i drove like an ass i would get 9

only way I know of, and I'm by no means the expert, is on a dyno, unless you had a wideband A/F gauge installed already and it's reading different than before.

interestin test will have to try:rock:

Thats the 06 version, not sure if the 2005 version is the same, I can go look

that would be great Jeff, thanks.:rock:

been goin through my '05 service manual & can not find anything on that test:(

2005 Test

SELF- DIAGNOSTIC TEST​
A self-diagnostic test is used to determine that the EOM is operating properly electrically. Initiate the self-diagnostic
test as follows:
NOTE: The compass mini-trip computer self - test can also be performed using a scan tool. Refer to Auto

Self Test under the System Tests.​
1. With the ignition switch in the Off position, simultaneously depress and hold the STEP and RESET buttons while
rotating the ignition switch to the Run/On position.
2. Continue to hold both buttons depressed until the EOM enters the display segment test. In this test, all of the
Vacuum Fluorescent Display (VFD) segments are lighted while the EOM performs the following checks:​
²​
Non-Volatile Memory Status (NVM)

²​
RAM Status

²​
ROM Status

²​
ASIC Communication Test Status

²​
Compass Test Status

²​
DC Status

² PCI data bus Communications Test

NOTE: If module is equipped with the Universal Transmitter, the module also checks “Universal Transmitter
Communication Test Status”
3. Following completion of these tests, the compass mini-trip computer will display one of two messages: “FAIL” or
“PASS.” Press RESET or STEP to exit and enter normal mode. Respond to these test results as follows:​
²​
If no test result message is displayed, but compass mini-trip computer operation is still improper, the use of a
scan tool and the proper Diagnostic Procedures Information are required for further diagnosis.

²​
If the “FAIL” message is displayed, the EOM is inoperative and must be replaced.

²​
If the “PASS” message is displayed, the EOM is OK, no faults are present.

²​
If any VFD segment does not light during the display segment test, the EOM is inoperative and must be
replaced.
4. If the first seven tests pass, the compass mini-trip computer shall verify that all the required PCI bus messages
are present on the PCI bus. If all required messages are present on the PCI bus, or if the ignition switch is
turned to the Off position, the EOM will automatically return to normal operation. The required PCI bus messages
are:

²​
Dimming message

²​
Fuel Used message

²​
Distance Pulses message

²​
Percentage Fuel Tank Full message

²​
Fuel Type message

²​
VIN (Vehicle Identification Number)

²​
Vehicle Speed message

²​
Last Engine Off Duration message

²​
Ambient Air Temperature message

NOTE: The Fuel Used message shall be ignored if the engine type is Diesel or Compressed Natural Gas.

NOTE: Pressing the STEP or RESET switches during any portion of the testing procedure will cause the​
compass mini-trip computer to exit diagnostics and return to compass/temperature mode.

NOTE: If the compass functions, but accuracy is suspect, it may be necessary to perform a variation adjustment.
This procedure allows the compass unit to accommodate variations in the earth’s magnetic field​
strength, based on geographic location.

NOTE: If the compass reading has blanked out, and only “CAL” appears in the display, demagnetizing may​
be necessary to remove excessive residual magnetic fields from the vehicle.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back