muffler delete?

tarheelguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i was looking at the truck the other day and thinking that it might be pretty easy to unbolt the muffler and drop it out in favor of two straight pipes. has anyone ever heard the truck with the muffler unbolted? and does anyone know the size of pipe i would need off hand? let me know what you guys think.

id suggest keeping it on. you want some backpressure that the muffler provides. i also would think about not givin it any gas when the cops are around.

I've tried this on a few past vehicles... and while they sounded really mean they ran REAL bad... remove the cats... change the muffler... it'll sound mean enough and it'll run BETTER :D

I think you'd be hard pressed to find anyone to tell you to pull the mufflers and do straight pipes :dontknow:

RedSrt007 (Patrick) ran straight pipes on his truck, sounded pretty good and he had no problems that I can remember. :dontknow:

Without mufflers, would it sound like a UPS truck with no mufflers? :p

When I was installing the Magnaflow on mine, I started it up with just the mid pipes in place. To be truthful it was not that much louder than with the Magnaflow installed. The cats really muffle a lot of the sound.

If you want it to sound loud and obnoxious put some glass packs on there... My neighbor has them on his 05 1500 hemi FRICK that thing practically shakes my house

im thinking about going with Flowmaster as I have learned on here it seems to be the one of choice. However like Silverback said Cats muffle a lot of sound. I like the old saying, the Louder it is the Safer it is. But unfortunately with new emissions laws its difficult to determine if your willing to risk deleting the cats. I've heard of high flow cats passing but Im not sure if they do or if they muffle the sound. I'm sure someone will chime in and provide more info. But I will also agree, if its sound you are looking for then glasspacks is the way to go. I too had them on my 05 Daytona Ram and set off many car alarms.

Yup, took the muss out and ran straight(s), I loved it, and it ran good. It really didn't 'free' up any hp as the factory muffler is basically straight-threw besides the noise baffling it provides. I then gutted the cats out also, and had it returned (so basically had straight pipes all the way back), it was good for about 30rwhp and I loved the sound.

Its all personal preference...

I say try it out, it will only cost you 20 bucks and some time...if you dont like it, then throw your muff back on.

-Red

05RamSRTkid said:
im thinking about going with Flowmaster as I have learned on here it seems to be the one of choice. However like Silverback said Cats muffle a lot of sound. I like the old saying, the Louder it is the Safer it is. But unfortunately with new emissions laws its difficult to determine if your willing to risk deleting the cats. I've heard of high flow cats passing but Im not sure if they do or if they muffle the sound. I'm sure someone will chime in and provide more info. But I will also agree, if its sound you are looking for then glasspacks is the way to go. I too had them on my 05 Daytona Ram and set off many car alarms.

Don't rememeber who it was recently that installed a Flowmaster from Roe, but they hated it. You might want to search some to see what he had to say.

does anyone know what size piping i will need as far as inlet and outlet blah blah on the truck.....patrick maybe....

I had my buddy @ the muffler shop make me 2 replacement pipes..I want to say he used the factory 2.75" tubing....

-Red

I'm kind of curious on if deleting the cats is good. Do you get rid of them altogether or keep the first set on there? What are you using the replace the deleted cats?

I have an '05 QC, I started out deleting the cats and removing the big muffler. So I had catless mids and only the rear little muffler. It sounded AWSOME at idle!! As soon as you gave it gas, it was a fart can, very ricey and rattly. Next I re-installed the cats, deleted the rear little muffler and added 2 tube mufflers. It sounds really good all through the rpm band. My next step (and final) is to delete the rear cats. In my opinion that is the way to go, front cats only and 2 tube mufflers. I will try to post a vid clip next week after I do some filming this weekend.

On another note, Patricks truck was supercharged, which changes alot in sound. A supercharged truck will not sound the same as an n/a truck with the same exhausts.

What are your opinions between the automatics and manual trannys, I think they do not sound the same either, having identical exhausts??

I have a set of Boomers catless mids for sale if anyone is interested, make an offer...With emissions here I dont want the hasssle of the catless mids...

Last edited:
Sithor said:
I'm kind of curious on if deleting the cats is good. Do you get rid of them altogether or keep the first set on there? What are you using the replace the deleted cats?

Most of us whom have deleted the cats have replaced them with Boomers midpipes or other brands. Boomers comes with the sims to avoid CEL. Mopar and B and B also sell catless mids. Cat delete is worth about 25+ or so HP at the rear wheels.

patrick

when i bought mine the kid before me had a flowmaster on it. GARBAGE. then i ran straightpipes with stock cats. LOUD but too airy if you know what i mean. then i gutted the cats. WAY TOO LOUD!!!! . then i put glasspacks on it and it was SICKK!!!! then the dealer told me if i didnt put new cats on it they would void my warrenty. even with brand new stock cats it sounds better than anything i have heard on it. it has a real deep tone all the way to 6,000. def the way to go. nice little pop when you let off too

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back