My clutch is clicking...

biff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Started tonight, as I pulled into the garage.
When I barely push the pedal, it clicks (in the trans).

Wtf is that all about?

I have new fluid to change out the clutch and tranny fluid, and planning to do it this weekend. Is it a lost cause? Am I screwed?

fyi, this is a VERY loud, audible click. the clutch pedal had a LOT of play in it, and the clutch seemed to be very "grabby"...
more so than normal.
it seemed to either be ENGAGED or not.

I have left it parked, and will leave it parked until I either change the clutch fluid or have a replacement clutch sitting on the shelf.

any insight?

Stock clutch? Did you do any of the recommended upgrades to it? How is fluid? Cloudy? How many miles?

I bought the truck used... sadly, I don't know the service records.
04 RC with 30,000 miles.
The fluid looks like hot chocolate.

I have new fluid & I was planning to change it this weekend.
I dunno if that will help or not?

I bought the truck used... sadly, I don't know the service records.
04 RC with 30,000 miles.
The fluid looks like hot chocolate.

I have new fluid & I was planning to change it this weekend.
I dunno if that will help or not?

If you have a camera, take a few pics and post up. Sounds like something broke to me. Could be that the slave went. Did you try pumping pedal to see if you get any change? Also look to see if you have anything dripping from the bell housing. Thats where mine was bad. You can do a whole clutch upgrade with hydraulics and flywheel for 1200 in materials.

If you have a camera, take a few pics and post up. Sounds like something broke to me. Could be that the slave went. Did you try pumping pedal to see if you get any change? Also look to see if you have anything dripping from the bell housing. Thats where mine was bad. You can do a whole clutch upgrade with hydraulics and flywheel for 1200 in materials.

I will make a video this weekend and post up.
nothing leaking, or dripping as of last night (though, I didn't check this morning).

pumping the pedal makes no difference. there is a ton of slop at the top of the clutch (about a quarter of the travel is just mush).
the pedal doesn't return all the way to the top of the travel (about an 1/4 or 1/2 inch from the top).
and the audible click is as soon as you get past the 'slop' and begin to engage the clutch.

damn! I was hoping I could make it part of the way through the summer before this upgrade needed to be done.
oh well, that's life, I guess.

Yeah, def do that. I know my pedal has a half inch of play before I get resistance. These clutches engage closer to the top anyway.

The clutch is hydraulic so a click would be something mechanical. Does the click change with a change in RPM?

Yeah, def do that. I know my pedal has a half inch of play before I get resistance. These clutches engage closer to the top anyway.

The clutch is hydraulic so a click would be something mechanical. Does the click change with a change in RPM?

oops, I forgot to mention... the click is when the truck is not running. :dontknow:
you can't hear sh!t over that thing running. :D
(I dunno if that is good or bad, but I LIKE it)

Huh? The truck is off and the sound is coming from the clutch when you press it in?

Huh? The truck is off and the sound is coming from the clutch when you press it in?

yeah... loud click when you touch the clutch when it first begins to engage... at the very top.

that doesn't seem right, right?:dontknow:

to me that sounds like a linkage issue where the "pedal meets the cable" , if you catch my drift. Check out where this link occurs , perhaps inside the cab?

Considering the forces involved, perhaps someone "popped" the clutch ( sidestepped, as it were) a few too many times and something popped loose ?

edit: since it is a loud click, sounds like an issue inside the cab, stick your head down there and wiggle the pedal, could be a simple fix...if it is coming from the tranny, hmmm, I am guessing it is a linkage issue, irregardless of the location. IDK about the "hot chocalate" color for the fluid, but that doesn't sound good either.

Last edited:
the click is def coming from inside the tranny.
I had my ole lady come sit in the truck and push the pedal while I stuck my head under the hood, and then under the truck...
MUCH louder next to the tranny than inside the cab, or under the hood.

Mine had that click right before my clutch went out.Time for a new clutch your gonna start having shifting issues next.Once replaced click went away.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back