My engine is making some bad noises!

tsmith3

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I recently installed my new clutch and have been trying to get the miles on her to see how she holds, but the other day I was driving my son to school and it sounded like the belt was squealing :dontknow: but it's not a constant squeal. It quites down when your off the accelerator. Anyways, I got in the shop and it doesn't do it when its cold and idling.

If anybody has any insight let me know. I know its hard to diagnose a problem with my poor description.

tsmith3 said:
I recently installed my new clutch and have been trying to get the miles on her to see how she holds, but the other day I was driving my son to school and it sounded like the belt was squealing :dontknow: but it's not a constant squeal. It quites down when your off the accelerator. Anyways, I got in the shop and it doesn't do it when its cold and idling.

If anybody has any insight let me know. I know its hard to diagnose a problem with my poor description.
check this

does it do it with the clutch in or out or does it matter

A/C on off, any differrence

turning, rollig stopping,

that will start narrowing it down

Tony, hopefully tomorrow I will be slow enough to play around with it.

check those few things, anything you can manipulate and fool around with , if you can eliminate a few things , you can narrow it down.

it could be, clutch, but it should change if ingaged,disingaged, alt, ps pump, belt, or tensionor pulley since you are blown, that is most likely what I think it may be.

but congrats on the biz taking off bo, thats awesome:rock:

The release bearing on mine makes a knocking/squeak when it's hot and you have been driving for a while as soon as you touch the clutch pedal just a little bit to add a little pressure it goes away.

tsmith3 said:

Had a scary noise like that last year, turned out to be the power steering pump. Accelerating makes it worse, and it comes and goes. This was a whining noise, you say it was like a belt slipping? Keep an eye on the power steering, our pumps stink.

It's now more then a slight squeal. Looks like I lost a bearing or broke a rod. Should know more tomorrow when I get it out.

So far, the block looks ok from the outside.:dontknow:

From a squeal to a broken rod?

Maybe a bad main bearing that froze and caused a rod to bend...if so you are lucky to not have a window in the block!

Hope you are wrong...keep us updated.

Prof said:
From a squeal to a broken rod?

Maybe a bad main bearing that froze and caused a rod to bend...if so you are lucky to not have a window in the block!

Hope you are wrong...keep us updated.

Roy, I think I really lucked out on this one. I was breaking in my clutch so I was taking it really easy. As soon as I heard the noise it got parked and only idled for a few minutes.

I drained the oil the other day and more metal came out then oil. I only need a few hrs to finish pulling the motor but can't seem to find the time.

chunks of metal??? Or filings?

No matter, it has to come out...

You sound like you are going to do it yourself...good...on the other hand there is a great builder in Michigan that several of us have used with great success...you could strap that thing on a board or two and ship it to him...see my sig.

Im only doing the grunt work... I leave the engine building to the profesionals. I have an awesome engine builder right next door to my shop. He mainly builds motors for dirt track racing (Sprint cars, late model modifieds) but also does some nice FI builds. I have been in his shop and fully trust his abilities.

I had mainly filings coming out but there were a few bb size chunks.

Great to have a resource so close!

Remind him that it is an aluminum block, and that building on an engine stand is not recommended, it is a very long block and needs to be built on a table to avoid unintended torque in the block!

Got the motor out the other day and it doesn't look all that bad. I was expecting much worse. Looks like it spun a bearing on the number 7 rod. So, while its out it's time to get this thing finally forged. I didn't like running it so hard with powderpuff internals. I don't' know how crazy I will get with the build but I will be definitely be forging the pistons, rods and maybe a new cam. I just hope I can get back together before the snow starts flying again.

Todd get with me when I return I was holding some rods for a guy but haven't heard back from him ,if when I het back I don't have an email from him they are yours and we can get the pistons Rollin the rest is butter

tsmith3 said:
Got the motor out the other day and it doesn't look all that bad. I was expecting much worse. Looks like it spun a bearing on the number 7 rod. So, while its out it's time to get this thing finally forged. I didn't like running it so hard with powderpuff internals. I don't' know how crazy I will get with the build but I will be definitely be forging the pistons, rods and maybe a new cam. I just hope I can get back together before the snow starts flying again.
It will be all better soon:rock: :rock: :D

tsmith3 said:
...I just hope I can get back together before the snow starts flying again.

Caper Wyoming...hmmmm...

Well you have a couple of weeks!

Glad the damage was minimal and stopped before that rod made a window in your block!

AWDisuzu said:
Glad the damage was minimal and stopped before that rod made a window in your block!

Ya, could have been much worse. Good luck with the build:rock:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back