My Hemi Build #2

OSO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well had a lean condition plus high rpms plus 29+timing. = BOOM/BANG POW.:eek:

So the new build will be a 426ci 12.5:1 comp, gas ported Cp pistons, Carillo super A rods, K1 crank, Crower cam 230/232 115lsa . New 6.1 block and i will rebuild the 6.1 big valve heads using Manley valves and springs.:slug:

The new heads and cam on the previous 392 with 11:1 compression and bad tune showed hella gain on top end, i am hoping the new cubes and bigger cam on the new build it will only get better.:marchmellow:

Last edited:
DAMM - sorry to hear ' if i ready you correctly ' Blown engine ?

good luck with the new build - and keep us posted

VIPER said:
DAMM - sorry to hear ' if i ready you correctly ' Blown engine ?

good luck with the new build - and keep us posted
Correct i should of been paying more attention to my data logs. Popped it within 15 minutes of driving but my driving included 6800+rpm:eek: .

Attachments

• 100_7446.JPG
    100_7446.JPG
    594.3 KB · Views: 71
  • 100_7445.JPG
    100_7445.JPG
    822.6 KB · Views: 48
  • 100_7475.JPG
    100_7475.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 57
  • 100_7490.JPG
    100_7490.JPG
    702.7 KB · Views: 73
  • 100_7496.JPG
    100_7496.JPG
    583.2 KB · Views: 93
you are definitely going in the right direction with your 2nd build....though 12.5 CR is pushing it for the street w/o running something more than 93..............you also might consider going to a 440CI..;)

OSO said:
Well had a lean condition plus high rpms plus 29+timing. = BOOM/BANG POW.:eek:
sorry to hear, ya didn't video it did ya ??:(

so your best 1/4 is still 12.8 or was that what you were shootin' for, can't recall ?:dontknow:

Last edited:
DevilDawg3097 said:
Aluminum Pistons?

Correct.

TNVIPER said:
you are definitely going in the right direction with your 2nd build....though 12.5 CR is pushing it for the street w/o running something more than 93..............you also might consider going to a 440CI..;)
The 392 was buit with a lighter crank but same pistons and H beam carrilos, just wasent enough to do what i wanted. I will be buying 105 by the drum ;) The stroke on this will already require a modified windage trey and most except think the walls on the 6.1 are on the thin side to begin with. :dontknow:

Sorry to hear of you loss, but it sounds like you are going to way better in the end.

Bill.

moparracing said:
sorry to hear, ya didn't video it did ya ??:(

so your best 1/4 is still 12.8 or was that what you were shootin' for, can't recall ?:dontknow:
Got 12.8 at 106 with the original 392 in 50 degree weather . Made a few changes and it was contestant 12.9 in 90 degree heat verified that hot lapping it for 13 passes . I just recently installed big valve heads and cam but never got to run it but i was shooting for 12.5 N/A full street trim. Now the goal will be 12.3 N/A full street trim. Fingers crossed!

OSO said:
Got 12.8 at 106 with the original 392 in 50 degree weather . Made a few changes and it was contestant 12.9 in 90 degree heat verified that hot lapping it for 13 passes . I just recently installed big valve heads and cam but never got to run it and but was shooting for 12.5 N/A full street trim. Now the goal will be 12.3 N/A full street trim. Fingers crossed!
more power to ya..... that's more money than i wanna spend...... it's a qwest to make that hemi faster now, isn't it ? ;) :D

moparracing said:
more power to ya..... that's more money than i wanna spend...... it's a qwest to make that hemi faster now, isn't it ? ;) :D
Well that's always been the quest:) Most of the guys running low 12s with the Hemi have less power but weigh 1000 lbs less. My goal is just to do low 12s full street trim including all the other crap i alwas find a need to put in my vehicals..

TNVIPER said:
Below is a link to a thread on the SRT Connection forum...a place you might ought to join being you have a Hemi..;) ......The VTCOA is a great forum but few members here are very knowledgable about the Hemi.....the Viper engine is just way different.............

http://www.srtconnection.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15755&highlight=hemi

I know who all he engine builders are. Your Dodge ram has more in common with my Dodge ram than it does with a srt charger, 300c or jeep:D
Though there are one or two differences there is not much difference in the way the engines work.
My post was more of look at what im doing than a help me with what i am doing. :rock:

OSO said:
I know who all he engine builders are. Your Dodge ram has more in common with my Dodge ram than it does with a srt charger, 300c or jeep:D
Though there are one or two differences there is not much difference in the way the engines work.
My post was more of look at what im doing than a help me with what i am doing. :rock:

Dont take me wrong...not saying you dont have something in common here but having built both the 5.7 & 6.1 Hemi engines I have found the Viper engine to be a completely different animal.....I had to throw out almost everything I learned building the Hemi when I started on the V-10.....but I do enjoy watching your progress..

TNVIPER said:
Dont take me wrong...not saying you dont have something in common here but having built both the 5.7 & 6.1 Hemi engines I have found the Viper engine to be a completely different animal.....I had to throw out almost everything I learned building the Hemi when I started on the V-10.....but I do enjoy watching your progress..
:), Just saying i can pick more about the truck on this site than i can others. I do have the Engine sources covered but find that other forums are less than helpful when you start talking about trucks. There is so much difference between the cars/jeeps and the Rams that its almost impossible to get useful information. Now with vendor wars with the Hemi stuff you cant get info from anyone other than your original vendor because they bash what you already have:dontknow:

Did you have CP pistons in there before? I have been thinking of using them but they seem really pricey (get what you pay for I guess). I know with the stroker Hemi's ring lands are nearly non existant. Have you looked into sleeving your old block? Then you could get all of your wall thickness back.

pokeytemplar said:
Did you have CP pistons in there before? I have been thinking of using them but they seem really pricey (get what you pay for I guess). I know with the stroker Hemi's ring lands are nearly non existant. Have you looked into sleeving your old block? Then you could get all of your wall thickness back.
Yes they were CP pistons. The stock Hemi 5.7,6.1 and from what i have gathered the v10 pistons all had the same problem. I would hope hat if someone buit a motor they would not build them the same piston design. The block was fine i am actully only going to be buying the crank and rods for the new build and trading the builder my 392 for the new stuff. He will use the 392 in his Cuda.

Devil Dawg,

Have you seen the 440 super commando? Small block with Siamese bores 4.18 bore x 4.00 stroke. I am leaning towards that bore size in my build to help keep the costs within reason.

OSO said:
Yes they were CP pistons. The stock Hemi 5.7,6.1 and from what i have gathered the v10 pistons all had the same problem. I would hope hat if someone buit a motor they would not build them the same piston design. The block was fine i am actully only going to be buying the crank and rods for the new build and trading the builder my 392 for the new stuff. He will use the 392 in his Cuda.

Yep Gen 4's have them as well. Only thing that can really be done is to use shorter rods so you can up the CH of the pistons. I am going to add a deck plate to my Iron v-10 build so I can increase the rod length and the piston CH to something reliable under power/rpm (shooting for ~10.5" deck height). Want to build the bottom end to handle huge power so I won't have to upgrade it again later on.

Would be a great opportunity to put a 10 in that light truck, would be a monster. What do it weigh???

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back