My truck jumps?

big_ol_meat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know I need a new clutch due to my truck bogging down at around 2500-3000 RPM, could this also cause my truck to periodically jump and rev up while driving through town? I was driving to the store last night and in the first 3 gears my truck would feel like it was about to die then all of a sudden rev up and shake. It was making my truck jump like I had hydraulics. I'm the most mechanically ignorant person on the board as well so if you have an answer please dumb it down for me! ha

hard to tell, could be a number of things without checking it personally, could be fuel related also , but thru the net really hard to tell, drive it along a back road keep the rpms steady, see how it acts in that manner

I was driving through town again. It's almost like the clutch is going in for a split second just enough to make the truck do a quick 500RPM rev. It's done it in first gear creeping through a parking lot under 10MPH since I bought the truck in January.

Don't think it is clutch related. Check engine error codes Probably TPS,IAC or both. Change the TPS first and see how it react. Throttle Position Sensor. Idle Air Controller

How do you know your clutch is going out? Not sure you have a clutch problem by your symptoms...as Tony says...get someone with some knowledge to check it out...TPS or IAC are good guesses...

Do you have a viper tech locally?

I replaced the TPS about 2 months ago. And there isn't a viper tech here. There might be one in Little Rock. My roommate's cousin is a mechanic and has a snap on diagnostic machine. He hooked it up and said my clutch was weak. He also sounded like he didn't know what he was talking about the rest of the night either though.....lol
I'll check on the IAC........never heard of it before! There is a Dodge dealership, does it have to be a Viper tech?

wont take a "viper tech" to tell you the clutch is or isnt bad lol. no such machine (besides being on a dyno)to hook up and say yes clutch is weak neither man........

So an update.......I was taking it to the shop yesterday. I can't get it in reverse. The reverse lights come on but it won't engage. It even has trouble going into first. The clutch pedal has about 4" of looseness in it. I also had to mash it to the floor to get it in gear.
Does this sound like a clutch issue? I'm ready to order the Spec Stage 3 if it is. What else would I need to order with it?

Check your resevoir for clutch fluid and add and bleed from bleeder beneath truck. Sounds like air in the system or possibly bad master/slave

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back