N2O and Methanol

labontecsi

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can meth be used as the additional fuel in a wet nitrous system?
Reason I ask is I have a meth kit for the truck and meth has a higher octane rating than pump gas.

I am not an expert, but I believe the answer is NO. While it is true that Meth has a higher octane rating, meth injection is designed as a intake charge cooler vice fuel supply. The normal meth injection kits use a mix of methanol and water again emphasizing the cooling effect of the system.

Hopefully others with actual experience will chime in and clarify if meth can be substituted.

I don't know of any reason chemically-speaking that methanol and nitrous oxide could not be used in conjunction with one another. I plan on doing so myself, but not using methanol as the enrichment fuel (just as a cooling agent).

However, you will need to ensure that your methanol injection system can add enough fuel to match the nitrous oxide being injected. If I remember correctly, it will take twice as much methanol as gasoline, and the jetting on a water/meth injection system was not intended to be a fuel enrichment system as much as an intake air cooling system (as TG mentioned above). It might be much easier to set up a wet nitrous system with a basic fuel pump feeding the methanol vs. trying to get the mix right from a water/meth injection system.;)

Ram From Hell said:
I don't know of any reason chemically-speaking that methanol and nitrous oxide could not be used in conjunction with one another. I plan on doing so myself, but not using methanol as the enrichment fuel (just as a cooling agent).

It might be much easier to set up a wet nitrous system with a basic fuel pump feeding the methanol vs. trying to get the mix right from a water/meth injection system.;)
That is exactly what I was thinking. I just did not expand my thought to a separate fuel system for the meth.

I am also looking to use water/meth in conjunction with N2O, but my N2O will be a dry shot with the fuel added via the VEC controlled EFI and larger fuel injectors. For the octane, I intend to run race gas when I use the N2O.

meth can't be used with NOS unless you're using meth as your only fuel as well. the reason is, meth burns at an air fuel ratio of 5:1 as apposed to 14:1 like gasoline. There would be no way to tune your NOS/meth or even monitor air fuel ratios when you're injecting METH. If you were to tune at 10:1 or 11:1 with meth spraying, you'd be very very lean and blow the engine. You could tune richer but even wideband O2 sensors only go down to 10:1. you need a different o2 sensor for meth. Then there is the problem of not knowing how much meth vs how much gas you're using, so the A/F ratio you read is pretty useless and only a guess.

In my opinion, meth should never be used on a gasoline engine unless it's the only fuel being used.

labontecsi said:
Can meth be used as the additional fuel in a wet nitrous system?
Reason I ask is I have a meth kit for the truck and meth has a higher octane rating than pump gas.

NO Todd, don't even think about it. You can run your normal wet nitrous and also use meth when needed but not at the same time.

AWDisuzu said:
meth can't be used with NOS unless you're using meth as your only fuel as well. the reason is, meth burns at an air fuel ratio of 5:1 as apposed to 14:1 like gasoline. There would be no way to tune your NOS/meth or even monitor air fuel ratios when you're injecting METH. If you were to tune at 10:1 or 11:1 with meth spraying, you'd be very very lean and blow the engine. You could tune richer but even wideband O2 sensors only go down to 10:1. you need a different o2 sensor for meth. Then there is the problem of not knowing how much meth vs how much gas you're using, so the A/F ratio you read is pretty useless and only a guess.

In my opinion, meth should never be used on a gasoline engine unless it's the only fuel being used.

Great advise.:rock:

You should be the first member to run straight METH!! you will make approximately 30% more horsepower than running gasoline. drawbacks are expense and you need double the fuel pump and injector size to support it. but at least it burns clean! no emissions!

labontecsi said:
Alrighty then...we'll put this one to bed then.

Thanks for all the great info.

AWDisuzu said:
You should be the first member to run straight METH!! you will make approximately 30% more horsepower than running gasoline. drawbacks are expense and you need double the fuel pump and injector size to support it. but at least it burns clean! no emissions!
I'll get right on that... I'll need a sponsor though-I take PayPal:D

AWDisuzu said:

Wouldn't it take increased compression or forced induction to get some real benefit from burning straight methanol?:dontknow:

Ram From Hell said:
Wouldn't it take increased compression or forced induction to get some real benefit from burning straight methanol?:dontknow:

Yes and more...while meth is higher in octane it has far fewer BTUs (measure of energy) per gallon than gasoline..

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back