Nascar Engines

mauiSRT/10

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok since we have a bunch of gearheads here. They are not supercharged nor do they run NOS. So how do they get 800 or 900 HP outta those babies? I have heard that they have like $150k just in the engine?:eek: :eek: Help a brother understand his favorite sport more!!! Thx!

patrick

mauiSRT/10 said:
Ok since we have a bunch of gearheads here. They are not supercharged nor do they run NOS. So how do they get 800 or 900 HP outta those babies? I have heard that they have like $150k just in the engine?:eek: :eek: Help a brother understand his favorite sport more!!! Thx!

patrick
and they are small blocks too!
its all in the heads, and design of the blueprint. these engines work as good in reality as they do on paper. most of the power these engines make are from a good head/valvetrain package. everything is meticoulesly (sp) massaged to work in synergy & go for long term. it is a perfect example of a really well built, well thought out package. have you ever seen the length of the header tubes on nascar? they strive to get every last inch in length as possible.

Yep,just as Boomer said.I have a friend in Indy, Peter Cozzolino of Cozzolino Motorsports.He used to run ASA .He was runnerup to Jimmie Johnson for Rookie of the Year in `99 in ASA.He used to buy the old heads,carbs and part from JJ.It was old technology for Cup but new for ASA.

I got to look at the stuff when I was hanging around the shop.The carburators are like 4k.Very advanced.The cams are very radical.Headers like Boomer said are huge and full length.Big as soup cans in diameter.All the magic is in head design and most of all testing.R&D is prolly the most expensive part of the teams costs.

Cup cars are right about 800HP in race trim for the short and intermediate tracks.400-450 for restrictor plate tracks

Last edited:
They get the power by revving very high. The higher you can run any internal combustion engine the more power it will make. Example: 230/230 @ 590/590 lift cam with a 115 lsa makes peak power at about 5700rpms, we'll say 400rwhp just for a number. Change only the lsa on the cam to 110 and rev the hell out of the engine and you are now making close to 430rwhp but it will be at about 7k rpms. Lose low end but these guys dont need it.
I believe they are running cams that have a 106lsa or so. They are designed for only high rpms. We have street cars and would not survive with this kind of revving. They make very low hp under 5krpms. Hell look at the indy cars they rev to damn near 19krpms. That is also the reason why all the bikes rev to 15k, so they can actually make power.

That just seems crazy to me that they hold up to it. Anyone know what they rev the topfuelers to? I know they do over 300mph 1 gear. I wouldnt need to shift if I made 6500hp either. Also do they run with a 1:1 or is it slightly overdrive? I know they spin there 6disc clutch untill the 1000' mark :eek:

Nascar engines are 15.0 to 1 compression ratio too. The fuelers turn around 8,000 rpm,they run a gear ratio of around a 3.40, it is limited by NHRA to try and keep trap speed below 330 mph.The rear slicks also grow in circumferece to make an even taller gear ratio on the top end.

Dont they run like 65lbs of boost to? Those things are absolutly amazing.
Oh yea forgot that they would be running very hi Cr. Gotto love race fuel. :eek:

My uncle builds some, and they are a work of art. They're built to the max. Every builder has his tricks with in the rules. The car cant sit stopped for more than a few minutes before overheating. After a long race the motors are trashed, there either get rebuilt or replaced. No expense is spared.

Keep in mind there are rules, if the car is too fast NASCAR will tear the motor down and inspect it.

Hooters Pro Cup

Well I plan on finding out first hand when they come to Lakeland. This is my cousin's daughter!! Pretty impressive for a 20 Yo!!

I'll be pullin for here even though she's not driving a Dodge!! You gotta love her sponsor!!
michelle3mx.jpg

It would be good to have a good woman driver, but in the past they've only been good at totaling cars:p

Last edited:
WS-6 said:
They get the power by revving very high. The higher you can run any internal combustion engine the more power it will make. Example: 230/230 @ 590/590 lift cam with a 115 lsa makes peak power at about 5700rpms, we'll say 400rwhp just for a number. Change only the lsa on the cam to 110 and rev the hell out of the engine and you are now making close to 430rwhp but it will be at about 7k rpms. Lose low end but these guys dont need it.
I believe they are running cams that have a 106lsa or so. They are designed for only high rpms. We have street cars and would not survive with this kind of revving. They make very low hp under 5krpms. Hell look at the indy cars they rev to damn near 19krpms. That is also the reason why all the bikes rev to 15k, so they can actually make power.

I thought they are also drysumped? That puts about another 10%-15% to the rear.

I have a friend that races offshore boats change his 14 quart 540 supercharged BBC to a drysump. He picked up almost 100HP on the dyno. It put out almost 1000 HP after the swap. He did it because he was getting oil pressure fluctuations and temp fluctuations in big wave races. He said it was worth the $4K.

You all may know more-comes second hand.

SHU

Impressive, you guys kinda know your shit huh. Those motorsin Nascar are all titanium/Beryllium Valveseats etc...arent they? I was talking to the guy that is machining my block and he used to build Nascar motors for 30 years. He said they are like 50-75k per block!holy shit!

Marc T said:
Well I plan on finding out first hand when they come to Lakeland. This is my cousin's daughter!! Pretty impressive for a 20 Yo!!

I'll be pullin for here even though she's not driving a Dodge!! You gotta love her sponsor!!
michelle3mx.jpg

Marc, you gotta get me a signed poster like that one of Michelle!! I remember last year/2 years ago not sure, they had a reality show about new aspiring drivers in which she was involved. What is she doing now? I saw that Eric Crocker is racing trucks. Started second Friday night. If you can get her to sign a poster tell her I send a sweet supply of my tanning products!!:D

Thanks for the input on the engines guys. So what size are the blocks that they start with? From what I know, they all start with the same parts?

patrick

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back