Need a hand to fix my Truck, interested?

Stupuff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody,

I am having the worst time trying to fix my Ram. When I got her from Brad (Dodge Ram SRT-10 Forum - Viper Truck Club of America - View Profile: LoveThisTruck) she ran great. I even went down to San Antonio to test drive her. I had her for about a month and then started having problems. From what I can gather, she is misfiring and causing a surge. When this surge happens, the Supercharger pulley slips under the belt and the truck falls flat on her face. SOUNDS AWFUL! (i'll take a vid from under the hood when the snow melts). The Supercharger has been rebuilt, she has new exhaust and intake valves, a new meth pump, a fixed VEC2, a new timing cover, as well as i have replaced the stock cam with that of the Competition Coupe.

I have started other threads about this but they died quickly. I really need some help, and this community seems to be full of good people. Please help me.

The other threads that died are;
http://www.vtcoa.com/forums/f7/my-ram-misfiring-50204/
http://www.vtcoa.com/forums/f7/misfire-surge-roe-sc-ic-roe-camshaft-meth-53235/

now, I don't get a misfire trouble code. I get the surges and do not know what is causing them or why my truck is doing this.

Whatever info you need I can/will get. to start off with, I have been emailing Sean Roe back and forth but do not want to risk annoying the crap out of him and his staff. the bodies of the emails are as follows;

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, February 09, 2015 3:26 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: RE: Hey guys, I have a few questions

No need to be sorry. You are helping a lot. I thank you very much for what you have done for me.

There was a question or two either I forgot a detail about or that you missed. May I continue to pick your brain?

4. How much boost should I see with the pulley you installed? If you're referring to the pulley we install on the kits as new, they're going to run about 6 psi. That's a 3.100" pulley.

7. What should I see for timing at idle, cruise conditions and under load?
Idle and cruise are as stock, and that can go as much as around 40 degrees or so at cruise. At WOT, about 17 degrees depending on the octane of fuel tune.

Do you have any advice to help me troubleshoot? I am getting to my wits' end because I have a slightly broken truck and no more money to throw at her to make her work.
SPI robbed me and I cannot think of any other places nearby that I can trust with this.

I've been on a family vacation since we started traveling Saturday morning and I'll try to help by email. Your issue is belt routing or slip, correct?
What diameter is the SC pulley?

Sent: February-07-15 9:16 PM
To: Stewart Cpl KKML@2 Svc Bn@Petawawa

Sorry for the delay, I've been swamped and am out of town.
Answers below.

Best regards,
Sean

Sent: Monday, February 02, 2015 9:40 AM
To: [email protected]

Hey guys,
Thank you very much. I really appreciate the help. Your answers pointed us in the right Direction.

I few other questions I thought up, if you would indulge me;

1. Do you sell a vacuum actuator that operates at a lower range? (4-6"), No, we only have the one. Whipple may have something dfferent?

2. How do I perform an engine oil change on a dry sump system. Drain the engine and tank.
(Kind of embarrassed to have to ask, but the oil was changed when serviced at SPI and now I have to do it myself)

3. What should the Supercharger oil level window read. Middle? Lower 1/3?
Top 1/3? Middle with engine level.

4. How much boost should I see with _________ (insert pull size)? What size?

5. What should I see on the wide-band under cruise conditions, light load and heavy load. Cruise 14-17 light, 11.5-12.0 heavy once tuning is good.

6. Can you send a simple belt routing diagram? It's the stock routing, but over the SC and then back under the stock and our idler.

7. What should I see for timing at idle, cruise conditions and under load

8. Do have any ideas as to what would cause the belt to slip past the pulley? I have proper tension. I have the A/C linked in. I couldn't do It with the belt size you gave me before.
I am thinking of taking a video from under the hood with a GoPro and will send it to you if you are interested. We haven't had any trouble to spek of,

The pics attached are for reference as to what setup I have.

Sent: January-29-15 11:19 AM
To: Stewart Cpl KKML@2 Svc Bn@Petawawa

HI Kevin,
See answers below:

Best regards,
Sean

Roe Racing
1587 Scottridge Lane
Jacksonville, FL 32259
Telephone # (904) 230-5422, ext 3
Fax # (866) 927-8981
Specializing in Dodge Viper Parts & Ram SRT-10 Parts since 1997! - Roe Racing

Sent: Monday, January 26, 2015 10:20 PM
To: [email protected]; [email protected]
Cc: [email protected]
Subject: Hey guys, I have a few questions

Hey Sean, Mike.
We spoke/talked over email about some faults in my truck. I was wondering if I could bounce some stuff off of you two.
After spending 8500$ and not having a working truck for 2 years because SPI said they could fix it, I have chosen to fix it myself.

Details that you may need to know;
The supercharger has been rebuilt/serviced. I have a comp coupe cam installed now. Replaced the meth pump. Replaced the clutch and flywheel.
(can you tell me where to get the link between the snout and the compressor body? I may have had to micky mouse one of my own)

A. You mean the black plastic coupling with the holes in it? Those come in the blowers. Whipple should have a replacement if needed. They are drive couplings.

First question, she sits at 17 on the air/fuel at idle... 14 is Stoichiometric. Is it normal?

A. At idle, depending on the temperature of the sensor, 17 is normal. The PCM should be operating I closed loop with no check engine lights.

Second, what could cause the belt to slip past the compressor pulley? I tried toi use the belt you suggested but there was no physical way for me to get the belt on without damaging my engine. I went with a larger belt. The only thing I could think of that would make that smaller belt fit is if I skipped the a/c compressor. And something that supports this is if I let the truck sit, idling, with the a/c on it slips whenever the a/c clutch engages.
I thought of using a belt dressing but held off to ask you.

A. I'm not sure if you have some unusual setup that would cause that, but we've always used a 7PK2345 on Ram SRT-10s. Depending on the SC pulley size, we sometime use a larger idler next to the alternator, or add a second idler if the SCT pulley is small for higher boost.

Thirdly, correct me if I am wrong but the bypass cooler is used under boost and closed when at idle or cruise, correct? Mine is open at idle... I have come to the conclusion that it is the bypass actuator. The one you use is made to work at stock idle vacuum right? Well, stupid me put in a comp cam and now the idle vacuum is at 4in/hg. Do you know of an adjustable or one with a lower operating vacuum?

A. The bypass starts opening as soon as vacuum is applied (at idle and low load / cruise) and is fully open by 10" of vacuum. It's closed during load / boost / engine off.

Lastly, do you think it would be out of my league to get the programming software and tune her myself? Or even go with a megasquirt system to replace the VEC2?
A. The VEC can do a fine job of tuning. The only thing it doesn't do well is compensate for the closed loop timer. An SCT could be used to shut off the CL timer, or used to entirely eliminate the VEC. The VEC can be sold. It's the only option for the 1992-1995 Viper crowd.

Stewart, Kevin K.
Cpl
QL4 Wpns Trg
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

any ideas or theories will help and be taken seriously. Thankyou in advance for your help.

The fact that you have no codes is troubling

Next question, (hard to fowing your emails) did you get an updated tune for the VEC after the cam change?

Last edited:
My current theory is the Boost control actuator at the rear of the compressor. The stock cam would have stock vacuum figures, but I have since put in a Com Coupe Cam which ideas rather low and with a low idle vacuum... there is a possiblity that the actuator is open when she needs to be closed. only problem is, I cannot find an adjustable actuator.

The fact that you have no codes is troubling

Next question, (hard to fowing your emails) did you get an updated tune for the VEC after the cam change?

Yes, from SPI tuning in Oakville. I do not trust it. They have been telling me for 2 years that my truck was fixed...does she seem fixed to you? So I want to get a new one from Sean.

Get a new one. You can either call Sean or Torrie from unleashed tuning (did a lot of the tuning for ROE)

The truck you have is NBT (nothing but trouble's) truck (original owner before Brad). I think Torrie did all the original tuning on the truck. Torrie still may have files that he can resource and with the new mods you know about get you where you need to be

to save me from hunting , when exactly does it stumble? when you let off? during acceleration? etc.

The truck you have is NBT (nothing but trouble's) truck (original owner before Brad). I think Torrie did all the original tuning on the truck. Torrie still may have files that he can resource and with the new mods you know about get you where you need to be

NTB, man what a blast from the past .One heck of a good guy too.:rock:

The Vec does not do a good job once you add a Cam into the mix. I would suggest going with an SCT. Not saying that's your issue, but there are better options for tuning. Have you data logged with the VEC?

I was going to suggest the SCT, but the removal of the VEC is like brain surgery

When I read your emails to Sean you mentioned that the belt he sends with his setup doesn't fit on your truck.... why is that I wonder ?

Did the truck run right before the new cam was installed ? Was it degreed properly ?
I know your frustrated but I wouldn't let the builder off the hook so easy unless you think they are incompetent (then I would recommend a lawyer). I'm thinking that going back to a stock cam may be the answer with the info you provided

You don't have an intercooler, it's a bypass cooler it only cools the bypass air while not under a load. This was done to a few roe trucks in an attempt to keep the blower itself cooler resulting in a slightly lower intake temp under boost(until the blower gets heat soaked). The belt Sean sends in the kit won't fit because you don't have the same size pulley anymore, which is why you're seeing 14 psi instead of 6. Ditch the vec and switch to using sct that'll take one possible failure point out if the equation.

to save me from hunting , when exactly does it stumble? when you let off? during acceleration? etc.

problem strikes when i do a normal take-off from still, hard accel from still, when I do a show-off rev and if I do a hard accel from rolling.

Thanks for the huge outpour of support, everyone. This makes me rather happy to have a pretty tight knit group like this. I will do as much as I can while the snow is still here. I have been getting frustrated and it makes me feel a lot better to know you people are willing to help when you can. Also, I thought I did some research on the truck before I bought her from Brad, mind you there was no link to "NBT" or any of his links.

She did run better without the comp cam, but the cam is like ear sex. SOUNDS SOOOOOO GOOOOOOOD. I will look into getting the SCT. Where would one find the most comprehensive instructions to remove the VEC?

I would take a serious look at your boost bypass. If your new cam doesn't create enough vacuum and the bypass valve doesn't have a way to stay open until under a heavy load then you are constantly running boost. If the VEC can't compensate then you will be running lean. Do you have a wideband A/F gauge in the truck? What does it read during these times when the truck stumbles?

You can test the boost bypass valve with a Mityvac hand tool, my guess is it's all in the tune. You need to data log to eliminate variables.

When I read your emails to Sean you mentioned that the belt he sends with his setup doesn't fit on your truck.... why is that I wonder ?

Did the truck run right before the new cam was installed ? Was it degreed properly ?
I know your frustrated but I wouldn't let the builder off the hook so easy unless you think they are incompetent (then I would recommend a lawyer). I'm thinking that going back to a stock cam may be the answer with the info you provided

I believe it was, the timing sensor gives me a reading inline with the numbers I go from Sean. I am going to write a letter of intent.

Back