Need a little help

sully1369

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This if my first thread and I am kinda of a newbie, but I do know a little about elctronics and mechanics and I was wondering if I could get a little help from you smart guys/gals. I have a 05 QC that wont start. The starter, battery and alt are all good. The starter just isnt getting enough power. All it does is tic tic tic when i try to start it. But there is a ground that started to smoke real bad in the factory wiring harness. I traced it and it goes from the left side of the engine bay over by the empty batt tray and it goes behind the block and where the harness makes a Y, half going down under the truck and half under the intake tunnel. Now right at the Y this burnt litlle wire green with black stripe goes to the block. I cant see it very well but with my boy underneath the truck being my eyes we found the burnt wire and this is it. The wire was burnt pretty bad so I cut about 2 inches from where it goes to the block so it doesnt catch anything else on fire. I then ran a new wire from that wire to a ground and it still heats up real bad and wont start. I was wondering if anyone knew what that ground is doing behind the block and or what the heck is wrong with my truck. I knew my first thread is a problem thread but I would appreciate any help yall could give me. Thank you very much
Sully

if all the connections are good and the grounds are good, I would yank the starter, take it by autozone or somewhere an have it checked

Sounds like a short. I'm also not convinced that the Green/Black wire is a ground wire. What exactly does the wire connect to in the engine bay? Just the block and chassis or a connector?

Getting the starter checked is a good idea as well to eliminate that as the cause.

Yea it deff sounds like a short, but I cant tell if it goes to a connecter or just a ground for the block or what( its in a really tight spot between the firwall and block ) Does anyone have a repair manual, maybe that will tell me? And yes I have gotten the starter checked and they said it works just fine. Advanced Auto actually couldnt test it because they said they dont know the right specs for that model or some crap but I took it to an auto electric repair place and they tested it right in front of me and it work and they tested it a bunch to make sure it wasnt overheating and then they opened it up and said everything looks good, so I dont know there?

CHECK ALL GROUND CONNECTIONS, ALL OF THEM, EVERY LAST ONE OF THEM, then look for burned wires inside the looms if you can't see anything obvious.

alright will do! got my job for all day today haha thanx!

labontecsi said:
CHECK ALL GROUND CONNECTIONS, ALL OF THEM, EVERY LAST ONE OF THEM, then look for burned wires inside the looms if you can't see anything obvious.
LOLOL cool beans bo on the starter check:rock:
yeah Labonte had a connection loose under the hood, and in a crazy place also, so be sure to check all of them;)

cooooooolllll beans coo cooo cool be be be beans! sorry its from the movie hot rod got a lil carried away!

yea imma check but does any of yall have any service manual or wiring diagram?

These types of problems are the worse...:argh: . Back when I was working on bikes and atv's, I had a Yamaha Big Bear that was having starting issues. I tore that atv almost all the way down to the frame trying to figure it out. I ended up pulling the entire wiring harness out of it, and in the process, found a loose ground that was in a really weird and hard to reach location. Tighted the bolt and WALLAHH!....problem solved.

i hear ya about that, i got 4 bikes n a race quad! this crap does blow! im tightening everything down, but without a diagram its hard to find everyone, yanno. o well ill just keep workin till i find it, i know its something stupid! :p

Make sure that the grounds coming off of the battery are all there. There are two coming off of the battery and then where the one goes to the body (inside fender), there is a another that ties to the frame from that bolt (I think). Then, there is one that goes from the battery to the front of the thermostat housing. If that one is corroding or missing, you will have the problem you are describing.

WOT said:
Then, there is one that goes from the battery to the front of the thermostat housing. If that one is corroding or missing, you will have the problem you are describing.
:dito:
This is the one that had Todd's in a fit in Panama... just loose.... he had that truck apart...all for it to be "one little" connection under the hood.:argh: ;) :D

Im still tightening all grounds! Got it started yesterday but affraid to drive anywhere, thinkin it wont start again! Guesss Ill carry some tools with me today cuz they want me to go to work or some thing today! lol Thanx for all your help guys! I still gotta check that one on the thermostat tho. Yall rock!!!!!!!:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back