Need Advice about new truck

gwarwon2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so I am looking to at new trucks and kind of stuck on where I should go. Hoping a few of you truck guys on here can help me out. I am looking to be able to tow my 10 along with about 3,000lbs of addtional equipment in the bed of the truck from my garage. I probably wouldnt do this more than once or twice a year. So I was looking at getting a 2015 dodge 2500 diesel to get this done but when I started pricing them I found the 2015 3500 was about the same price Maybe 2-3 grand more. But of course towing and payload are almost double. So what gives?? Would it be better just to get the 3500? Also this truck would be a DD. Any help would be great.

you'll be fine with a 2500... and your resale will be about the same, so there's no reason to step up to the 3500 unless you're planning to pull 20k lbs. +

For me, it's better to have too much than not enough. You can't tell the future, so you don't know what you may be pulling/hauling in 2, 3 or 4 years from now. I would go with the big boy.

I bought a 2014 2500 4x4 6.4L (Hemi), gas is cheaper, payload and towing rates good, no DEF and as stated, not looking to tow a house, plus end of year pricing was too good to pass up, lol.

I think you should get a Nitro. They are great!

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok so I am looking to at new trucks and kind of stuck on where I should go. Hoping a few of you truck guys on here can help me out. I am looking to be able to tow my 10 along with about 3,000lbs of addtional equipment in the bed of the truck from my garage. I probably wouldnt do this more than once or twice a year. So I was looking at getting a 2015 dodge 2500 diesel to get this done but when I started pricing them I found the 2015 3500 was about the same price Maybe 2-3 grand more. But of course towing and payload are almost double. So what gives?? Would it be better just to get the 3500? Also this truck would be a DD. Any help would be great.

My advice would be to take both trucks on a long test drive then buy the truck you like better. Another member recently bought a new Cummins and had interesting things to say about it. Here's a link to the thread where we talked about it: http://www.vtcoa.com/forums/f14/2004-srt-10-sale-61047/#post1246479 Pay attention to post #20.

I think you should get a Nitro. They are great!

see how caveman edited this post.......

His Jedi skills are weak sauce. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup, truck is a 6.4 Hemi. Don't get me wrong, for a gas motor it pulls great. When I first got it I thought it was down on power but after I put 2-3K miles on it, it really woke up. I still DO NOT like how it handles! I had a 2013 1500 with the similar suspension set-up and it handled great, but for some reason that same set-up in the 2500's seems to handle like shit. There are actually a few other gripes I have about the truck too.... but whatever. Next heavy duty truck I buy I will definitely be going back to a Super Duty. Trust me I am not being biased, last four vehicles I've owned/own... 2006 SRT Ram RC, 2013 Ram Sport QC, 2006 Viper Coupe, 2014 Ram 2500.

Check your insurance rates between both 2500 and 3500. I am sure the 3500 is cheaper. same gas mileage. both ride the same empty or loaded. Go big or go home!! do the 3500! :)

Thanks for all the advice guys will definitely take them both out for a drive and call the insurance company and see. And if all things are still pretty close I will go with the 3500 why not right lol. Oh and I will drive by and look at the new fords and see oh they are doing. I still got some time so might wait till some better incentives come out.

Check your insurance rates between both 2500 and 3500. I am sure the 3500 is cheaper. same gas mileage. both ride the same empty or loaded. Go big or go home!! do the 3500! :)

FYI they ride COMPLETELY DIFFERENT!!!! The 3500's ride much stiffer and retain the leaf spring rear suspension. In 2014 the 2500's changed over to the same coil design (but beefier) as the 1500. Much softer ride, but in hind site I wish that I went with the 3500, feels much more planted to the road!

FYI they ride COMPLETELY DIFFERENT!!!! The 3500's ride much stiffer and retain the leaf spring rear suspension. In 2014 the 2500's changed over to the same coil design (but beefier) as the 1500. Much softer ride, but in hind site I wish that I went with the 3500, feels much more planted to the road!

In other words, a 2500 is like deadlifting 405 - it's kinda light and moves around with a little effort? On the other hand, a 3500 is like deadlifting 585 - It's extremely planted to the ground and doesn't move well at all? :D

In other words, a 2500 is like deadlifting 405 - it's kinda light and moves around with a little effort? On the other hand, a 3500 is like deadlifting 585 - It's extremely planted to the ground and doesn't move well at all? :D

Precisely :D

Back