Need advice

tomwilliams

Reaction score
I have a black '04 standard cab/wheelbase/transmission. 100% stock and a limited budget. I'm ready to start with some basic performance upgrades what do you recomend?

Is it a viper truck?

SCT tune, remove cats or hi-flo, Cold air intake, and replace exhaust.

Oh welcome from NY and :needpics:

Also add your build number to the 04 list

Computer, exhaust, and air intake first. There are some great vendors on this site for all those parts and they'll probably chime in real soon.

Oh ye, you didn't say if it was an srt 10?

Sorry I thought srt/10 would be assumed here and yes it is. The stock air box draws from the fender so isn't it already CAI? And do I need a cat back exhaust or can I just replace the mufflers?

Sorry I thought SRT 10 would be assumed here and yes it is. Please don't mistake my ignorance for arrogance but the stock air box draws from the fender so isn't it CAI already? And do I need a catback exhaust or can I just replace the mufflers?

K&N Drop In filter is the biggest bang for the buck. Normal CAI is for Bling not HP.

The only two that I know of that have proven to give an HP boost is the True Mopar with Ram Air attachment to the hood and the Volant with hood scoop snorkel. Both of them only provide a true CAI ram air function at speeds above 40 mph. All the other CAI wind up simply sucking hot air from under the hood and some actually have a HP loss due to the air temp.

Of course it's a SRT 10 or I wouldn't be in this forum. Thanks for the tips. The stock air box draws from the fender so isn't it already CAI? I do have a K&N filter in it. Also, how much advantage is a full cat-back exhaust vs. just replacing the mufflers?

My truck has the K&N drop inn and cat back exhaust. You can see my dyno numbers below. I really can't compare to stock as the truck had the mods when I purchased it. You need to get a baseline dyno run to see if you gain anything.
Oh and yes, the OEM setup is a CAI just not ram air through the hood. I always thought these trucks should have had a functional scoop factory to compliment the package.

TREKER said:
Is it a viper truck?

SCT tune, remove cats or hi-flo, Cold air intake, and replace exhaust.

Oh welcome from NY and :needpics:

Also add your build number to the 04 list

Treker nailed it!:rock:

SCT or reflash your stock computer with a Stage II tune
delete the cats and install a cross-over pipe (or it will cackle and pop on deceleration)
stock muffler is large ,ugly and heavy but it is straight-through so a cat-back isn't really needed ,just makes it too loud

later go with 4.56 or 4.88 gears,new clutch with Viper car hydraulics
B&M shifter

handling : all rubber bushings should be replaced with urethane,maybe a set of Cal-Tracs if you drag race any at all and they also help coming out of corners

the hood scoop will NOT work to force air in,there is a large thread on this subject
the drop-in K&N works best,the others just make noise

Last edited:
ARRESTmeRed04 said:
get rid of the cats first, SCT next. my truck was 469hp with whats in my sig.
:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:

mine was 462RWHP with catless mids,K&N drop-in,and Stage II tune
and STOCK muffler :D

HOT RAM said:
SCT or reflash your stock computer with a Stage II tune
delete the cats and install a cross-over pipe (or it will cackle and pop on deceleration)
stock muffler is large ,ugly and heavy but it is straight-through so a cat-back isn't really needed ,just makes it too loud

later go with 4.56 or 4.88 gears,new clutch with Viper car hydraulics
B&M shifter

handling : all rubber bushings should be replaced with urethane,maybe a set of Cal-Tracs if you drag race any at all and they also help coming out of corners

the hood scoop will NOT work to force air in,there is a large thread on this subject
the drop-in K&N works best,the others just make noise

Good formula above...

What ever you pland on spending multiply by 5.... and thats where it starts

if you don't mind some noise, get some catless mids and then get an SCT tuner. that should run you just under $1000. after that go with clutch/hydraulics and rear end gears. enjoy the new ride:rock:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back