Need advice!

tomwilliams

Reaction score
I've had my truck for 4 years now, and changed the oil ten times with no issues. After the last change it started dripping oil from the drain plug. I researched the problem and learned that I should have been using a drain plug gasket (yes I'm a dumbass) So I got the gasket, changed the oil again using said gasket, and the problem persists. I have to assume I've been over tightening, so where do I go from here, and are there any other possible reasons for this?

Very little, maybe a couple drops a day

I know a guy with an old Shovelhead Harley that drips way more than that, he has some sort of special mat for it that absorbs oil that he puts under it in his garage. I'm not sure where to buy one or how often it needs to be replaced but I think it would be perfect for you.

The permanent fix of course is a new oil pan.

Try a new drain plug and another gasket :dontknow:
I like to try the cheap fixes first.

is it a gasket or an O-ring :dontknow: I don't remember.

what i call a "dana washer" metal on the outside, rubber in the middle.

maybe a copper washer instead????

try a new gasket ! maybe a copper will work . inspect the matting surface of the pan and the plug and find out where the problem could be. look for any cracks in the pan from over tightening. I had a t-bird Supercoupe and i was at a superlube for an oil change and the kid used a 16" ratchet handle and cranked my plug in. it leaked and found the pan had cracked!! i had to remove the oilpan and get it welded and retapped!!!

If it is the pan that's stripped couldn't I just get it re-threaded for a slightly larger plug?

If it is the pan that's stripped couldn't I just get it re-threaded for a slightly larger plug?

Have you checked the mated surfaces of both the plug and the pan to make sure there is no corrosion/crude preventing a clean seal?

There's definitely no build up or corrosion, I'll check for any imperfections on each.
Would anyone reuse the oil from the last change? (about 100 miles)

There's definitely no build up or corrosion, I'll check for any imperfections on each.
Would anyone reuse the oil from the last change? (about 100 miles)

i would. clean area around drain plug, clean drain bucket & cover till repair is made:rock::rock::rock:

Check this link: DIY: Oil Change - SRT Forum - .:SRTConnection:.

If you are able to apply 25 FT-LBS of torque to the plug then you should not need to rethread anything. See the link, the sealing washer should have a rubber component to it. It sounds to me like you do not have the proper washer?

Finally, I'm sure you have already taken care to remove any swarf from the magnet on the end of the plug?

Check this link: DIY: Oil Change - SRT Forum - .:SRTConnection:.

If you are able to apply 25 FT-LBS of torque to the plug then you should not need to rethread anything. See the link, the sealing washer should have a rubber component to it. It sounds to me like you do not have the proper washer?

Finally, I'm sure you have already taken care to remove any:dontknow::dontknow: swarf:dontknow::dontknow: from the magnet on the end of the plug?

swarf?????

is that the same thing as "FROG FUR"??????:D

back drain plug out a little than wrap teflon tape around it than retighten

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back