Need Air Conditioning advice

err76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First off thank you for any advice/help posted. It is always appreciated.

The A/C in my 06 Quad cab takes 15+ minutes to cool down, and the passenger side blows about 5* warmer when both in the full cold position.

I had a buddy throw a set of gauges on it and he told me it needs about 2lbs of freon. I know that will not fix the passenger side blowing warmer but my question is, Is 2 lbs of freon enough to make it start working properly?

Second question is, how hard is it to fix the passenger side blowing warmer?

Thanks Again
Eric

The a/c dosnt hold much more then 2lbs total,start by adding freon and check for leaks,a 06 should not be that low on freon.

The a/c dosnt hold much more then 2lbs total,start by adding freon and check for leaks,a 06 should not be that low on freon.

My 06 was low when I got it. Filled it a little, no problems since then except for that blower door :mad:

Why not just completely evacuate the system and then recharge to the proper specs. This is usually the first thing I do when working on A/C. Trouble is that Im not really that good at it though, so maybe my advice isnt the best? I seem to get them working one way or the other though.

Why not just completely evacuate the system and then recharge to the proper specs. This is usually the first thing I do when working on A/C. Trouble is that Im not really that good at it though, so maybe my advice isnt the best? I seem to get them working one way or the other though.

Yep, most A/C shops will evac the system and do a leak-down test... then the machine does a refill and equalizes the system if there are no leaks. If you've had it filled before and still loose refrigerant, but the machine comes back with a clean leak test, it could be a bad schrader valve. :dontknow:

Last edited:
Chrysler sure cheaped out on the 06s !! No grease in the front hub bearings , a number of bad camshafts and now short of freon! Oh yea and they are really hard on tires and gas!! Lol. I need to get a decal that says "HYBRID". It burns gas and tires !!

Bought a gauge set and tested it, With air running on full at 95 degrees outside I had 32PSI on the low side. Dropped 2 cans of 134 into it and that raised it too about 47PSI. Going to see if that helps over the next couple of days, My chart says at 95degrees it should be in the area of 55PSI, but I want to wait and see just so I dont over pressurize.

Thanks for the links and info
Eric

2 Cans seems like alot :dontknow:

Don't just add some freon. Have a vacuum pulled on it. Could have too little or too much oil in it. That'll make a difference too.

My 05 blew warm on the passenger side from new. Dealer found no problems. Went to an independent AC shop and they confirmed Dodge skimps a bit from the factory, that the control door is common and overall the AC system is just barely adequate. Once Freon was added I still blow a bit warmer on passenger side but much improvement over when new. Knock on wood I have over 100K miles and no door problem so far. Then again its pretty much left in one position all year long...AC, Dash vents and fan blowin on #3 position. :rock:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back