need expert opinion

fastestbrickonearth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
driving my truck today and it starting ticking. i stoped and checked and it needs oil. i put some in and drive it home. everything seems fine after that and then it starts smoking and ticking. but it comes and gos. sometimes theres no smoke and seems fine others it smokes and ticks. i wanted to see if u guys had any experience with this kind of problem. or what do u think it would be. i pulled the valve covers off and didnt see any broken springs or bent rods. also what are u guys used to seeing for a leak down test and compression test number wise. any insight would be awesome.

Wasn't it your truck that used a pretty high amount of oil compaired to other peoples?

hard to diagnose anything on the net, but sounds like a ring land has gone south, pistons go boom, hope I am wrong, do a leakdown test, that will comfirm

but be careful if you pull the valve covers off and happen to see a rod, you have more problems than jsut smokin:D :D :D

Like stinky said it could be a pushrod, when It happened to me that was the last thing I checked. Then I talked to Sean and he told me this was another common problem. Im bettin if it is, it will be on either on 5 or 9.

fastestbrickonearth said:
what kind of numbers are u guys getting for leakdown and compression tests
Hmmm crickets, heh ??? : :dontknow: No one has an answer ?? :confused: :confused

PM me your email addy and I'll send you the pages from the manual :)

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back