Need Feedback on Shift Duration Question

oldguysrt10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a TransGo shift kit installed and posted positives because it really improved driveability and shift firmness/durations. Not long after the installation I started getting periodic 1-2 and 2-3 lags on shifts almost like I was bumping the rev limiter. On the 2-3 it'd actually hold speed and seem to slow down a bit before shifting. With my drag radials at the track it was even worse. Recently I sent my PCM to DC performance for some tweaking. One of the things I asked about was this lag. Since getting the PCM back there's consistent improvement on the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts but with the drag radials it's still consistently a .2+ second lag on the shifts at wide open throttle. I had a freind of mine that has lots of racing experience make a pass in my truc. He definitely felt it too but doesn't have Dodge experience and couldn't speculate on cause. I'm concerned that the computer doesn't like increased line pressure from the shift kit, adapts, and thus the lag. I've only had the re-programmed PCM back in since Thursday night and that's less time than it took after installation of the shift kit for the lag to show up, so I may not really be any better off on this problem with the tweaked tune/may not have adjusted yet.

Could my drag radials being 2 1/2" smaller dia. confuse the PCM some way that can be tuned out? I didn't have this kind of problem on my Hemi going from 32.9" goodyears to 28" drag radials so I kinda assume what the Dodge looks at for shifting is consistent on their products and probably not my problem.

Is it increased line pressure from the TransGo in combination with the tune putting the tranny into some kind of a protect mode?

Is there perhaps something in the tranny going bad or has failed that could cause this symptom? Initially after the TransGo kit the shift duration was instant 1-2 and 2-3.

Is there something in the tranny you recommend I upgrade to eliminate this problem?

I'm inclined to ask Dan at DC Performance about the tire diameter difference being a potential cause.......also inclined to drop by and talk to my tranny guy. Surely I'm not the only one to experience this.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
oldguy

The lag on shifts now consistently shows up on the 1-2 and 2-3 with stock tires. Seems like the PCM needed some time and has adjusted to something. The problem never shows up on the 3-4 shift but it takes place below 5500 rpm where the 1-2 and 2-3 are just below 6000 rpm.

Thoughts,
oldguy

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back