Need Help *car*

Exo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 1996 dodge avenger that is my daily driver and winter car. I have noticed that when it is just above freezing out and really moist in the air that it won't start, just cranks and cranks, But fires right up any other time. Can I get a few suggestions as to what I can look at to see what is wrong? No money goes into this car other then gas and oil changes so I don't want to goto a mechanic.

Thanks in advance, Todd.

vacum leak? maybe take some b12 and spray it around the motor when you have it running one day...some motors don't like starting in cold cold weather...or the block could be "Frozen" lol that would suck

But it starts fine in colder temps just in that moist 0C-6C range. Warmer temps are fine aswell.

I had a 98 ram that did the exact same thing. If it was raining or looked like it was going to rain I would have to crank the engine foreeeeeeever before it would start. I ended up popping the coil off and replacing the point and cap and replaced the spark plug wires. After that it was good to go, started everytime.

I guess I will start with that then. Havn't look but I imaging the plug wires are easier to change then our trucks hehe.

The 98 ram was no picnic either. I pretty much had to just feel that job out.

Yep, pretty sure those are distributor-less ignition (coils). If you have a cracked coil, it could cause problems like this when in moisture-rich air. :dontknow: Wouldn't explain the cold issue, other than maybe the battery is starting to go as well (which would also make the ignition signal weaker than normal). :confused:

Good luck finding it... make sure you let us know what it was. :eek:

Back