Need help finding info on failed R.P.S. clutches

1qksrt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A friend of mine has an 04 red r/c and was at a traffic light and reved the engine to aprox. 3,500 rpm.At that point,The clutch exploded,resulting in extensive body and engine damage.It took out the left and right side Bellangers,blew the trans apart,ripped out the left rear corner of the block,shearing off the starter bolts,went through the floor,striking the air bag module,setting off the bags,including side curtains.Shrapnel went through the pass. side striking a truck next to him and bouncing back and damaging his pass door.The adjuster said the damage estimate will be around $22,000.I will be posting pics up when I receive them.My friend said he remembers reading somewhere that there is a problem with these clutches exploding.You can see clearly that it was definitely clutch failure.I would never have believed him if it weren't for the police report and witnesses.Anyone ever hear of this before?B.T.W there were no injuies.
If so,let me know.Thanks

Holy shit!!! Glad your friend is ok!! Got a question. Since the clutch exploded would that be Dodge's fault? I know that it's a wear item so it's not covered on most extended warranties, but I would think the damn thing exploding would be covered under something?

1qksrt said:
A friend of mine has an 04 red r/c and was at a traffic light and reved the engine to aprox. 3,500 rpm.At that point,The clutch exploded,resulting in extensive body and engine damage.It took out the left and right side Bellangers,blew the trans apart,ripped out the left rear corner of the block,shearing off the starter bolts,went through the floor,striking the air bag module,setting off the bags,including side curtains.Shrapnel went through the pass. side striking a truck next to him and bouncing back and damaging his pass door.The adjuster said the damage estimate will be around $22,000.I will be posting pics up when I receive them.My friend said he remembers reading somewhere that there is a problem with these clutches exploding.You can see clearly that it was definitely clutch failure.I would never have believed him if it weren't for the police report and witnesses.Anyone ever hear of this before?B.T.W there were no injuies.
If so,let me know.Thanks
Holy Bat shit Robin, Lucky nobody was injured. They used to use scatter shields back in the day, Have not heard of one exploding in quite some time.

. . . Bad install? :dontknow:

cant be a bad install. if it was that it would have blown apart first time out. exploding clutches are bad things. if he ends up keeping the truck and needs a engine or trans let me know. i got a P.O.S. sittin on the trailer perfect engine/trans nothing else good lol. basically, what he needs i got in good shape still :D.

dam.

first one i heard of.

stock clutch????? how many miles????

The clutch is an R.P.S. brand,It was in the truck when he bought it.I believe the insurance will cover it and yes I'll probably be looking for parts.

Thanks a ton guys,
I really appreciate the quick response:rock: It seems the truck in question was purchased as is back in 04.It had a cold air,hennessy 528 stroker motor and obviously an rps clutch.I'm wondering is hennessy installed it back then:dontknow: The you tube video shows similar damage to the block(sheared trans bolts)Its just fricking amazing how much energy is stored in there!!

When Womster's clutch blew, people in the stands got hit with parts of it.

Bill.

Begood said:
When Womster's clutch blew, people in the stands got hit with parts of it.

Bill.

I am thinking that an explosion blanket or bolt on cage would be an appropriate mod to consider(stock or modded)!!!

they make things called scatter shields. its actually a requirement for some NHRA. work VERY well have one on my 79 ford. its basically a plate that bolts on the bellhousing around the transmission. of course the trans wuld still be toast but the block and body damage would not be there with it

Stanimal said:
they make things called scatter shields. its actually a requirement for some NHRA. work VERY well have one on my 79 ford. its basically a plate that bolts on the bellhousing around the transmission. of course the trans wuld still be toast but the block and body damage would not be there with it

Exactly,
I use to use them years ago,I have already started to figure out how to make one for my truck.Better safe than truckless!!:D

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back