NEED Help from the experts for an LS6 Buildup

HDVIPER

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys, a couple of real good friends of mine and I are building up a 2000 Camaro SS. He blew the LS1 and so we decided to upgrade to an LS6. Everything is ready to go back together but for one major component...
The CAMSHAFT!!!

Here's the dilemma... The aftermarket for these cars and engines is so huge which is great for finding good deals. The problem comes though, when you've got so many options and you have no help in deciphering what you need. If any of you can help it would be greatly appreciated.

Here's where we are at:

He wants a mild cam, nothing lopey as this is going to be his daily driver for at least the next year or so. He's looking at putting a supercharger on at a later time and we don't want to have to change the cam again. Is there a cam that fits into this type of profile that would work for us? Thanks for any help!!!:burnout:

I would just go with a Comp Cam or SLP, if he doesn't want anything too radical.... pitty he doesn't. :( :eek: :D :D :D Because MTI makes some REAL nasty ones. :rock:

i would go with a stock z06 cam....it's almost a perfect cam for the street...that's why it's there;)

but i can't remember the specs...lemme see what i can dig up...

are you starting from scratch on the rebuild?

405hp cars...

'02-'04, 405hp p/n 12565308 duration 214/218 valve lift 0.555/0.551 lsa 117.5

if you want some bumpity...

220/224 .570/.580 112lsa

or more...

230/230 .600/.600

Black1 said:
I would just go with a Comp Cam or SLP, if he doesn't want anything too radical.... pitty he doesn't. :( :eek: :D :D :D Because MTI makes some REAL nasty ones. :rock:

Yeah, if it was me, I'd go with one of the nasty lopey cams. He's a little worried that it'll be too much for him to drive for the next year or so.

viperhauler said:
i would go with a stock z06 cam....it's almost a perfect cam for the street...that's why it's there;)

but i can't remember the specs...lemme see what i can dig up...

are you starting from scratch on the rebuild?

We aren't starting from scratch, we got a GM Crate engine LS6 it's of the '04 variety. Thanks for the info!

Last edited:
:marchmellow:
viperhauler said:
405hp cars...

'02-'04, 405hp p/n 12565308 duration 214/218 valve lift 0.555/0.551 lsa 117.5

if you want some bumpity...

220/224 .570/.580 112lsa

or more...

230/230 .600/.600

Ok, is there any way I could get you to help me understand these numbers? Duration is how long the valve's are open, right? Valve lift is how far the Valve gets pushed open? And Lobe seperation angle, i have absolutely no fuk'n clue what that means...:dontknow: :dontknow:

Thanks for the help gents.

Viperhauler, so the 214/218 cam is perfect for the street, how would it do with a little boost? Is there really even a need for us to change it out?

i'll be honest, mike...when i've had engines built...i would relay the parts info directly to the builder...

now, i THINK i understand what all of that means, but i wouldn't be the person to describe what exactly each number stands for...i know its some lift, some duration, some timing some opening, some closing...;)

but...that 214/218 cam (and part #) is the exact cam used from the factory in the 02-04 vette z06....(from what info i thought i had;) so don't hold me to it)...the others are similar builds...but more aggressive...

my buddy has a stock 04 zo6 with TT's from ATI???? i think...in NM???? it's a bad boy...

I had a Comp Cams 224/224 with 114 LS and .563/.563 lift. I then used 1.75 Comp Cam magnum rockers. The cam was very streetable. It also passed Calif. smog. In a 2000 Firehawk, with 6 speed, 4.10 gears , long tube SLP headers and LSX intake....I made 446 RWHP and ran 11.80 @ 120.27 MPH.

Trainman, that's exactly what I was looking for. if you could go back would you use the same setup?

Anyone have any ideas about putting a ls motor in a 2000 tahoe and was wondering if anyone has tried it and if so what issues you had

I would check into the LS9 cam. It should be streetable, and will support some good power with a SC.

I race lsx engines and what you need is something with a 114-115 lsa to help the future blower and run fine without. Keeps power from idle through high midrange. Not choppy! And get something in the 230-235 duration but keep lift around .600 to avoid flycutting the pistons. Use the thicker gm mls gaskets to help lower compression a hair since you'll be at 10.5 to 1 already with 243 vette heads. N20 and buffers will love that build! Yes change springs to comp 918s and titanium seats. Pushrods as well in 7.425. Lifters will be fine but ls7 427 ci lifters are better.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back