Need help with a math question

yellowfever#154

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I cant wrap my head around this and need help.

We have started to tune diesel engines in tractors and I need to figure out how much better they are on fuel after tuned. Here are the specific details, can someone help me determine a formula to show how many percent better they are per HP?

Base Tune:
232 HP using 12.2 Gallons per hour of fuel

Mod Tune:
272 HP using 13.7 Gallons per hour of fuel.

We have started to tune diesel engines in tractors and I need to figure out how much better they are on fuel after tuned. Here are the specific details, can someone help me determine a formula to show how many percent better they are per HP?

Base Tune:

Mod Tune:

base tune 12.2 gallons per hr...mod tune 13.7 gallons per hr...im no math expert but I think the modded version is using more fuel...:dontknow:

Might be a stupid question but why would you tune a tractor? Wouldn't it just make more sense to buy a bigger tractor?

Base Tune:

Mod Tune:

Base Tune = .052586 gallons per hour per HP
Mod Tune = .050367 gallons per hour per HP
Mod tune uses 4.2198% less fuel per hour per HP
Mod tune uses 10.94891% more fuel per hour

Base Tune = .052586 gallons per hour per HP
Mod Tune = .050367 gallons per hour per HP
Mod tune uses 4.2198% less fuel per hour per HP
Mod tune uses 10.94891% more fuel per hour

I think these are the number he is looking for. the mod tune is cheaper to run per HP but bottom line is that hp costs money. So now the question is work load. Is he goning to accomplish more work in each hour with the hp gain? this is where the value is!!

I think these are the number he is looking for. the mod tune is cheaper to run per HP but bottom line is that hp costs money. So now the question is work load. Is he goning to accomplish more work in each hour with the hp gain? this is where the value is!!

That's exactly the results they're looking for I'm sure. The extra power should cultivate more acreage per/hr due to power efficiency. :dontknow:

in farming gallons per hr is the most important.. A 10% increase in hp is not even noticeable in a field tractor..but the 10% fuel increase is!!!!

Tyler, based on your initial post, your customers are seeing an increase in fuel used as they build more horsepower. Using the numbers you provided, the customer can build 17% more horsepower, while only using 5% more fuel. I built a spreadsheet that will calculate this for you. All you will need to do is input the new HP and GPH numbers. I can email it to you if you want it.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back