Need new valve spring and pushrod.. ASAP!!

Nucdancer01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just broke a spring, bent a pushrod.. And I was waiting for a car to get here from California, then I was gonna trade in the truck.

Damn the luck, right?

Anyway, just one spring and one pushrod, then I can put her back together and trade her in.

Help..

-Jeremy

Gonna disclose the damage to the dealer of just wait and let the new buyer (possibly one of us here) find out the hard way the engine is damaged? :dontknow::confused::evil:

Gonna disclose the damage to the dealer of just wait and let the new buyer (possibly one of us here) find out the hard way the engine is damaged? :dontknow::confused::evil:

That's what happened to me. I bought the truck drove it a while then bam started ticking and smoking. Later I found a broken spring and a bent pushrod in a bag under the seat. It was pretty shitty

That's what happened to me. I bought the truck drove it a while then bam started ticking and smoking. Later I found a broken spring and a bent pushrod in a bag under the seat. It was pretty shitty

Likewise, my first 10 had real damage to the front end. I was so dad gum anxious to get the truck that I just flat went against my better judgment and bought it anyway. :stupido3: Dealer lied but that is not real unusual. :mad: Used a quart of oil every 1700 miles and was told here that that is normal but my second truck uses zero oil in 4K miles. Buyer beware :rock:

I understand that you guys don't know me, therefore it's easy to make assumptions.

I have already told the dealer about the issue. I am already losing my ass on this truck to begin with.. This is likely exactly what happened to me in the first place. These things appear to be a damn time bomb anyway, how often do you hear about someone breaking a spring, or bending a pushrod?? It happens all the damn time. $20k engine right? These things were breaking after 1000 miles in them due to an issue Daimler knew about.

Don't go getting all high and mighty on me, why do you think that a spring breaking on me is any different than when one broke on you?

That's BS dude, they aren't time bombs. Of course it can be if you beat the shit out of it and neglect maintenance. I bought mine used, and I've put over 40K on mine and it's FI. I'm sure many other people here will tell you the same.

That's BS dude, they aren't time bombs. Of course it can be if you beat the shit out of it and neglect maintenance. I bought mine used, and I've put over 40K on mine and it's FI. I'm sure many other people here will tell you the same.

Have you ever searched for this topic, and read the stories about how often this has happened, including the circumstances surrounding the events?

Trust me.. I am not an idiot, I have been doing this for over 20 years, know my way around a vehicle, and understand the value of maintenance.. It is how I make a living.

You are aware that some problems don't affect the entire population, correct? For instance, just because you haven't experienced something, that doesn't mean that it is not a systemic problem.. correct?

Similarly, just as I have experienced this problem, that doesn't mean that my earlier statement of "these things are all..." was warranted. I acknowledge that.

I can tell you that I haven't beaten this vehicle, I take care of my cars because they are such a big part of my life/personality, and that I have been disappointed with the power since I got it. Maybe I have had a few issues lingering for a while and they just surfaced.. Maybe, unlike the norm, just got a vehicle that hadn't been taken care of in the past. Either way, the spring broke, the pushrod bent, and I need to fix it.

As to the underhanded-ness that some of you were referring to because I planned to fix the broken stuff before trade-in.. I don't quite understand why that is underhanded? Those of you who feel like you got a 'truck that had been beaten on, with pre-existing problems' is exactly how I feel. I am fixing the stuff that is broken right now, and I know that this truck is not gonna last. I have done nothing but love her, and try to bring her back from periods of apparent neglect. But THIS particular truck is a time-bomb!

I'd love to continue speaking rationally with anyone who feels that I am missing something, or that can maybe help point out an error I am making. I don't like making mistakes, and if you see that I am, please let me know...

-Jeremy

Last edited:
JEREMY YOU DONT KNOW WHAT YOURE TALKING ABOUT ITS PROBABLY JUST AN EXHAUST LEAK OR SOMETHING, ALSO CHECK YOUR HEADLIGHT FLUID!!!

Good luck bud with whatever you decide, but I do have to agree that for a super high performance vehicle they do have quite a few gremlins, considering the way it was marketed(fastest truck, 500hp monster) it sure has a lot of weak points, leaking lines all over, harmonic balancers that fly off, weak pistons/rings, clutch hydraulics, your issue and quite a few others. Thats it from me, still love them though.......

C'mon guys, some of these thing are time bombs, we all know that. Any high performance vehicle is suspect to failure of some sort at any given time. Parts break period. Don't have to abuse them or neglect them, shit happens. Look how many brand new HEMIS Chrysler replaced under warranty in late 60s, 70s. Buying a vehicle new or used is a crap shoot anyway, pay your money, take your chances. I know couple Corvette owners that wish they left the current "project" where they found it cuz it turned into one more problem after another. Factory cars are nothing more than compromises between the engineering, marketing, & bean counters with BCs winning 99% of the time. Think of the space shuttle as being designed & built with components from the lowest bidder. How you like to strap your ass to that rocket now...

While a have to agree there are common issues and yes valve springs are one of them but all things aside they are a great engine and truck. Yes maybe my experience is different and rare but I'm at 112,000 miles With only routine maintenance, a battery, brake pads, hub bearings, tensioner/idler pulley, TPS, Crank/Cam sensor, tires and oil. She's made me proud and I do "beat the shit outta her" at the track, then daily drive her to show her love. Honestly although I'm on my stock springs, valve spring changes should happen around 60k miles anyways. 20-40k on aftermarket springs! Less if a track truck! I should be technically getting ready to install my 2nd set.:rock:
Trucks that sit without starting on occasion risk spring failure as well as an engine that's overrevved by wrong gear application or extended redlining.
I think many of us chance the previous owner taking care of our beasts, but often they're abused being 500hp trucks :D

Just broke a spring, bent a pushrod.. And I was waiting for a car to get here from California, then I was gonna trade in the truck.

Damn the luck, right?

Anyway, just one spring and one pushrod, then I can put her back together and trade her in.

Help..

-Jeremy

Obviously you know your way around engines so ill just give you a quick few hints you likely know.

1. Ensure piston is at TDC for that cylinder

2. Make sure your valve seats once air is applied to that cylinder. Rotating it may help it seat. A slight leak from a bent valve won't allow air to hold valve in place strongly. Therefore falling if you look at it wrong, lol.

3. Have new spring ready to swap fast again in case of valve not seating well.

4. If you can't find a sweet spot valve seats then valve head is likely bent too much :(

5. Roll pushrods in a pane if glass to ensure straightness.

Good luck and hope you can fix her fast

I know from what I've read concerning the Gen III motor(Vipers and Viper Trucks) quality is pretty good, with that said, I've seen posts like this enough to know that even with the best of care, broken springs happen and I can't think of a single one where the owner wasn't upset... I know I would have been
Vj

Back in my old 440 6pack days you could remove spring and seat and have a buddy hold stem till you could slide a piece of fuel line on end of valve stem making sure its a snug fit or tighten with a small hose clamp .Then pull up on it till you feel it barely kiss off on the seat and then twist hose end and feel if you get a nice even slight drag on it all the way around .If you feel a spot that was easier or hard to turn mark stem with marker then keep rotating it between your two fingers if you feel that dead spot over and over in same spot ,You more than likely have a bent one ,If it is even all the way around you were good to go .It's a touchy feely kind of thing .

I understand that you guys don't know me, therefore it's easy to make assumptions.

I have already told the dealer about the issue. I am already losing my ass on this truck to begin with.. This is likely exactly what happened to me in the first place. These things appear to be a damn time bomb anyway, how often do you hear about someone breaking a spring, or bending a pushrod?? It happens all the damn time. $20k engine right? These things were breaking after 1000 miles in them due to an issue Daimler knew about.

Don't go getting all high and mighty on me, why do you think that a spring breaking on me is any different than when one broke on you?

Bent spring and bent pushrod always comes from over reving motor .Or if it sat for a long time and that spring was compressed for a LONG time in the same position for months on end or even years.Does not matter what motor or what brand .not because of cheap parts .If you bought it used you have no idea what other owner did to it or why he traded it in with low miles on it .:dontknow:
hope you did not by my old black 05 cause I beat the hell out of it then sold it to someone who beat it even worse than I did ..Its like Sonny and Cher sang "The Beat Goes ON Ya The Beat Goes On " :D

Last edited:
C'mon guys, some of these thing are time bombs, we all know that. Any high performance vehicle is suspect to failure of some sort at any given time. Parts break period. Don't have to abuse them or neglect them, shit happens. Look how many brand new HEMIS Chrysler replaced under warranty in late 60s, 70s. Buying a vehicle new or used is a crap shoot anyway, pay your money, take your chances. I know couple Corvette owners that wish they left the current "project" where they found it cuz it turned into one more problem after another. Factory cars are nothing more than compromises between the engineering, marketing, & bean counters with BCs winning 99% of the time. Think of the space shuttle as being designed & built with components from the lowest bidder. How you like to strap your ass to that rocket now...

I would strap my ass to it in a heart beat and yell

LIGHT THIS ROMAN CANDLE BIOTCHES

Last edited:
Apparently this cat has it all down pat and its just simply a broken rod and spring, but I dont think he took the time to think of what caused it..

Anyhow there is most likely a cause and its a part real close by that probably caused it , but your the expert so , just replace the spring and rod see how that goes..

Apparently this cat has it all down pat and its just simply a broken rod and spring, but I dont think he took the time to think of what caused it..

Anyhow there is most likely a cause and its a part real close by that probably caused it , but your the expert so , just replace the spring and rod see how that goes..

You're right.. Never crossed my mind to try to fully understand the issue. That's a novel idea, maybe I should try that.

Just because I say that I understand the significance of maintenance and that I'm not an idiot, that doesn't mean that I am claiming to be an expert.

People assumed that I was an ass because I want to fix the truck without the standard "oh.. This is a great opportunity to sink $15k into this truck to make it as fast as a stock mustang." It is possible to repair the damage without fixing the root cause. The root cause is likely loading the spring beyond its capacity. I can't fix that now. Whether it was me, or the previous owner(s), I have no idea. I didn't run the crap out of this any more than I have any of my other vehicles. Which leads me to believe (naturally) that this one, for whatever reason, can't stand the same day-to-day habits that I've used in the past. My fault or not...

I don't have a problem spending money on a vehicle, if I feel that vehicle is worth it to me. This one doesn't feel that way. It's fun and good looking, but will never be what I am looking for in one package. I don't have the money to have two of these trucks, and a Porsche amongst other things.

it could be that, and it could also be something vary simple that you will have to fix, perhaps a lifter failed ? could easily cause that damage...

might want to ensure the lifter is doing its job..

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back