Need some advice...

BlackViperRam04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am going to look at a 1999 Viper GTS (ACR) within the next couple of days. I don't know much about the GenII motors. Can someone tell me if there is anything to pay close attention to on them? Also, I plan on looking at an 03 one also. Have any of you guys driven a GTS and a convertable one? How loud is the wind noise one the newer ones? Which one did you like better and why? Thanks for the help.

BlackViperRam04 said:
I am going to look at a 1999 Viper GTS (ACR) within the next couple of days. I don't know much about the GenII motors. Can someone tell me if there is anything to pay close attention to on them? Also, I plan on looking at an 03 one also. Have any of you guys driven a GTS and a convertable one? How loud is the wind noise one the newer ones? Which one did you like better and why? Thanks for the help.
Not much different to check from most other cars.

I'd check closely for:
-make sure the fluids are clean (meaning they have been changed/maintained)
- look under the car for leaks
- check under car for frame damage, body damage
- check engine when running for noises/smoke/leaks
- check tires for excessively worn rears compared to fronts
- check door seals for worn/tears
- check under front facia for scrapes
- check seat bolsters for wear
- make sure all gauges work properly
- make sure car drives straight and smooth

I went for the GTS mainly for looks. I don't like the rear ends on the RT/10s or SRT vert's.

Good luck!!!!:rock:

Just for perspective:

I was trying to buy one in Orlando about a month ago ('99 ACR) with about 4000 miles on it...never titled, they were asking $65k. I offered 55 they would not negotiate...

Prof said:
Just for perspective:

I was trying to buy one in Orlando about a month ago ('99 ACR) with about 4000 miles on it...never titled, they were asking $65k. I offered 55 they would not negotiate...

Gotcha! Thanks for the heads up.

For you, very tight...I'm 6' and about 195...drove one for two or three days...just not comfortable...fun, really fun...but once I got in...getting out was tough...but I am in my mid sixties...

I've heard that the Doors on Gen2 cars tend to sag.

I own an '06 SRT Coupe, but I do prefer the GTS over the SRT 'Vert.

Don't know if the Gen2's are any tighter inside than the SRT's, but I'm just about 6'4"/255 and I fit reasonably well in my '06 Coupe now that I installed a 1" seat lowering kit and removed the sun visors.:rock:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back