Need traction for 12's

ViperPowa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got to make one 1/4 mile pass before they shut the top half of the track down due to rain. Traction was HORRIBLE, and humidity was in the 80's %. Raced against my wifes uncles truck driven by his gf, a nissan hardbody, 350 sbc, 750 holley, edlebrock intake manifold, headers, straightpipes, 12 or 12.5 inch slicks, 350 tranny (i think it was), 5200 or 5400 stall, and I forget what other mods. Said the truck has ran 12.90's before. Even with thier 12+ inch slicks they were having traction problems all night. I ran with 25.5 psi in the stock rear tires and rims, full weight, 3/4 tank gas, spare, bedcover, tailgate all still on.

Ran a 2.118 60ft. to thier 1.987

A [email protected] to thier [email protected] -1/8 mile

A [email protected] to thier [email protected]

I came out of the hole spinning pretty bad, backed off the throttle a little bit to stop spinning and then got back on it. Started reeling um in at half track and was comming up real fast on um, ran out of track to pass um before the 1/4mile mark.

Big difference in power now from stock, loaded in the 93 tune before we ran and now the truck comes screaming out of the hole, too much for the tires this night though. If I could get it to hook and cut a decent 60ft I think I could break into the 12's easily with the power the truck has now.

Last edited:
TNVIPER said:
If a tune is all you have the numbers arent bad for a QC....get some DRs and you might see high 12s...

I have Belangers, catless mids, mopar/borla exhaust, sct, and caltracs. Definitly the truck can go faster, this was just my first pass on this set-up so hopefully when the track opens back up next year I can make it to the daytime drags where the track prep is allot better.

OSO said:
FOR A QC spinning 13.5 is pretty decent. wish they would open the track back up over here .

Thanks, had to let off a little on the throttle to get 'er to stop spinning then get back on it. Broke the tires loose in the 1-2 gear shift too which I though was cool. If I could just get a sub 2 second 60ft mark then 12's should be seen, wasn't going to happen that night though, track way too wet.

When will they open the track back up-up there? Gotta wait til Feb here.

ViperPowa said:
Thanks, had to let off a little on the throttle to get 'er to stop spinning then get back on it. Broke the tires loose in the 1-2 gear shift too which I though was cool. If I could just get a sub 2 second 60ft mark then 12's should be seen, wasn't going to happen that night though, track way too wet.

When will they open the track back up-up there? Gotta wait til Feb here.
I only have to wait till mid Jan but its still to damn long.:)

OSO said:
I only have to wait till mid Jan but its still to damn long.:)

Ahh lucky guy. Only 2 races a month during the season, 1 daytime 2/day event which consist of progas on sat., then reg brackets on sunday. Great track prep on sunday, but the brackets run the show, time trials are non existent unless you make one pass then go cool it off a while and go back and ask them to run again when ur ready, which is what I do. They don't even have a TT or TnT spot. Then outlaws in the nighttime which has horrible track prep, but you can run as much as you want as quickly as you can.

ViperPowa said:
Ahh lucky guy. Only 2 races a month during the season, 1 daytime 2/day event which consist of progas on sat., then reg brackets on sunday. Great track prep on sunday, but the brackets run the show, time trials are non existent unless you make one pass then go cool it off a while and go back and ask them to run again when ur ready, which is what I do. They don't even have a TT or TnT spot. Then outlaws in the nighttime which has horrible track prep, but you can run as much as you want as quickly as you can.

Closest track to me really caters to the street racer but there is so damn many of us around her you might run 3 times in 4 hours.

Yeah that sucks, kinda the same here, line so long by the time I get to run oil temps is really hot. With the stock pcm I could never get to the starting line before the oil temps climb into the 200's. Now with the sct it runs around 190 consistant on the 91 tune.

To be real honest...102.61 mph is not really strong enough for a 12 sec ET. Even though you had a spinning 60' time , that really doesn't hurt your top end speed. You will probably need more horsepower to cut a 12.9x ET. Based on the weight of your truck you will probably need to be at least in the 106 + range to see high 12's.

drag radials would definitely help your 60', but like jerry said - you'll need more power to matter @ the 1/4 mile....... :(

track is huge too..... drag radials cut only .2 off my runs on poor track conditions, but .5 easily on a good track prep & temp...... :)

regardless, for hawaii - those are some awesome times in a qc !!! :rock:

Trainman said:
To be real honest...102.61 mph is not really strong enough for a 12 sec ET. Even though you had a spinning 60' time , that really doesn't hurt your top end speed. You will probably need more horsepower to cut a 12.9x ET. Based on the weight of your truck you will probably need to be at least in the 106 + range to see high 12's.

That's what I was thinking too, I know if your spinning it shouldn't hurt the mph too much, but I also had to let off of the throttle to get the tires to stop spinning, then got back onto the throttle. I'm sure it could do much better in better temps if I could get a decent launch and not have to let off, looked up the temps for that night and at the time of my pass the humididy was fricken 87%.

I was suprised the truck I raced did a 13.5 and only trapped 99mph. Thought the rule of thumb generally was you have to trap 100mph or more just to break into the 13's?:dontknow:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back