Need Trailer Help

walbert said:
After this, now I'm pretty sure I don't want to trailer anything 9 hours :dontknow:
couple things on trailoring

keep the speed down

the tires and assembly is not made for contious 80mph, that is why most folks have probs on the hwy

and make frequient stops , feel the caps of the bearings, if they are really extrememlly hot to the touch they may either be too tight or too loose, most of the time too tight.

but letting the tires cool, and keeping the tire pressure accurate will let you trailor for miles and miles

oh and use hi temp bearing grease also

Check the Drop temp on the grease, you will find the marine grease usually has the highest drop point, around 470 deg. (I use StaLube marine bearing grease) works great on the outboard / outdrive grease points also.

After cooling the brakes a bit (before launching) I refill the Bearing Buddies so no water can ever get in. Never had a problem, same bearings since 86 and the shortest tow is about 200 miles round trip.

includemeout said:
Check the Drop temp on the grease, you will find the marine grease usually has the highest drop point, around 470 deg. (I use StaLube marine bearing grease) works great on the outboard / outdrive grease points also.

After cooling the brakes a bit (before launching) I refill the Bearing Buddies so no water can ever get in. Never had a problem, same bearings since 86 and the shortest tow is about 200 miles round trip.

Do the rubber caps that go over the bearing buddies help any? I figure that water would still get in through the rear seal :dontknow: Also would think that the rubber cap would hold heat in.

I am going to look into the different types of grease.
Stinker, good advice. I usually try to check the tire pressure often. This is why I decided to go home first before taking it 45 min on I95. I'm really glad that I did.

walbert said:
Do the rubber caps that go over the bearing buddies help any? I figure that water would still get in through the rear seal :dontknow: Also would think that the rubber cap would hold heat in.

I am going to look into the different types of grease.
Stinker, good advice. I usually try to check the tire pressure often. This is why I decided to go home first before taking it 45 min on I95. I'm really glad that I did.
The rubber caps are just to keep the grease from slinging all over the rims and dirt away from the Buddies, no worries on the heat thing.
Just let it cool and refill, there will be no void to suck water in even if the seals are marginal as the spring in the Buddies keep self packing the hub /bearing ass. Just keep them full.

Most peeps have trouble with tires due to age or using car/ truck tires, a big no no, Trailer tires are a whole different breed.

Last edited:
The drop point of the West Marine Boat Trailer Grease is 550 deg.

walbert said:
The drop point of the West Marine Boat Trailer Grease is 550 deg.
They keep getting it better the older I get:eek: :congrats: :congrats:

Lack of grease.....definately invest in some bearing buddies!

358ciHD said:
Lack of grease.....definately invest in some bearing buddies!

The pic of the axle was after I cleaned it off to see what happened. If you look at the inside of the rim, it slung most of the grease in the rim and all over the side of the boat. The last time I took the boat out, and cleaned it, there was no grease in the rim.
And it also had Bearing Buddies. Im going to get new ones when I get the other hub this week.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back