NEEDING INPUT ON OIL CHANGES

Reaction score
I JUST BOUGHT MY 2006 SRT10 RAM AND ITS THE FIRST 8.3 V10 IVE EVER OWNED OR BEEN AROUND SO IM IN NEED OF INFO, LIKE WHAT KIND OF OIL DO I NEED TO DO OIL CHANGES , HOW MANY QUARTS IT HOLDS AND WHAT WEIGHT OF OIL.I WAS TOLD MOBILE 1 SYN 10-30 OR ROYAL PURPLE 0-40...ALSO WAS TOLD IT WILL HOLD 81/2 QUARTS OR 10 QUARTS.ANY HELP WOULD BE NICE GUYS.THANK YOU AND HAVE A GREAT DAY...N

YES IF IT IS A '06 IT HOLDS OVER 10 QUARTS AFTER OIL FILTER AND ALL... OIL IS A PERSONAL PREFERENCE, I RUN 0W40 BECAUSE THAT IS WHAT THE BOOK AND OIL CAP SAY BUT THAT DOESN'T MEAN YOU HAVE TOO.... I MAY TRY 15W50 THIS SUMMER

YES IF IT IS A '06 IT HOLDS OVER 10 QUARTS AFTER OIL FILTER AND ALL... OIL IS A PERSONAL PREFERENCE, I RUN 0W40 BECAUSE THAT IS WHAT THE BOOK AND OIL CAP SAY BUT THAT DOESN'T MEAN YOU HAVE TOO.... I MAY TRY 15W50 THIS SUMMER

I like what you did there :D

Quote=BITTENNIGHTRUNNER168] THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP VIPERCLKGTR.SHOULD I USE SYN OIL.I WAS TOLD TO ONLY USE SYN OIL.IM LEARNING AS I GO.I LOVE THIS TRUCK.I AM ALSO LOOKING FOR A R/C NIGHT RUNNER SO IF YOU HEAR OF ONE FOR SALE PLEASE LET ME KNOW.GOT TO HAVE LOW MILES THOUGH.AND ONE MORE THING SIR.I HAVE A NOISE THAT SOUNDS LIKE VALVES CLATTERING BUT IM TOLD ITS INJECTORS AND SAID ITS NORMAL THEY ALL DO IT.DO U KNOW IF THIS IS SO? ITS DRIVING ME CRAZY

15-50 Mobil1 with White Viper filter in warm months, 0-40 for winter storage and cooler months.

Mobile one 15W50 in Tex/Ok. Do NOT use after market filters. Period. I have blown two, a Fram and a Wicks. Use the MoPar from Walmart of the Viper from a dealer. Believe me, you do not want a blown filter out on the highway.

Quote=BITTENNIGHTRUNNER168] THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP VIPERCLKGTR.SHOULD I USE SYN OIL.I WAS TOLD TO ONLY USE SYN OIL.IM LEARNING AS I GO.I LOVE THIS TRUCK.I AM ALSO LOOKING FOR A R/C NIGHT RUNNER SO IF YOU HEAR OF ONE FOR SALE PLEASE LET ME KNOW.GOT TO HAVE LOW MILES THOUGH.AND ONE MORE THING SIR.I HAVE A NOISE THAT SOUNDS LIKE VALVES CLATTERING BUT IM TOLD ITS INJECTORS AND SAID ITS NORMAL THEY ALL DO IT.DO U KNOW IF THIS IS SO? ITS DRIVING ME CRAZY

The injectors are noisy on these beasts. Also, on mobil1 oil you will hear some valvetrain noise upon start up. When I switched to Royal Purple this went away. My truck sometimes sits 3-4 months and I have yet to hear the valvetrain noise anymore when starting. That is enough for me to stick with RP.

The engines in these things are very noisey, 15-50 will help that also, kinda sound like a sewing machine. Injectors and bleed down lifters at idle cause most of the noise from what I remember.

4 posts within 1 minute of each other, pretty similar info also, I love this place!!!!

Yes for sure use a synthetic oil whichever you choose! I'm sure you hear the injectors and rockers. It's normal. I don't see a different brand making it quieter but a different weight (15/50) will quieten things down a bit :rock:

Yes for sure use a synthetic oil whichever you choose! I'm sure you hear the injectors and rockers. It's normal. I don't see a different brand making it quieter but a different weight (15/50) will quieten things down a bit :rock:

Shows how much you know LOL. Speaking only from personal experience :chain:

Shows how much you know LOL. Speaking only from personal experience :chain:

I learn something new every day bro, I think a day would be wasted if I didn't. I think of my brain like a PC and try and cram it full of data. :D
I've just been a die hard Mobil1 fan since the mid 80s as its factory fill on many high dollar engine cars and proved its worth in every engine I've owned. Have you ever pulled apart an engine run on Valvoline(non syn), Pennzoil (non syn), or any of the major oil brands? :puke:
Mobil and a couple others pioneered the Synthetic blends back then and has proven itself over the years. Many LS guys would send oil off for analysis and Mobil1 and a couple other proved top of the class. Believe the NEW Pennzoil Platinum syn was also high ranking as far as breakdown, metals in oil, etc.

Yeah the Pennzoil Ultra is supposed be pretty good, factory fill on all new SRT's.....

I learn something new every day bro, I think a day would be wasted if I didn't. I think of my brain like a PC and try and cram it full of data. :D
I've just been a die hard Mobil1 fan since the mid 80s as its factory fill on many high dollar engine cars and proved its worth in every engine I've owned. Have you ever pulled apart an engine run on Valvoline(non syn), Pennzoil (non syn), or any of the major oil brands? :puke:
Mobil and a couple others pioneered the Synthetic blends back then and has proven itself over the years. Many LS guys would send oil off for analysis and Mobil1 and a couple other proved top of the class. Believe the NEW Pennzoil Platinum syn was also high ranking as far as breakdown, metals in oil, etc.

Just messin with ya man. Everything else I own has M1. I got a sale on RP once and liked the difference it made so I stuck with it. My dakota has had nothing but Mobil 1 10w30 and currently has 207k miles and the most that has been done to the engine is a water pump. Uses less than a quart per 6k oil change.....and that's in dodges sledge factory 4.7L engine.

Don't make me have to do a youtube call out video for you to drive to NC to hear me dry start my 10 :p

Anything 40 or 50wt full synthetic should do you just fine. Use either the oem white viper filter or amsoil eao26 offering. Your truck will take 10 and 11 quarts respectively.

Amsoil is the oversized one, 1 extra qt????

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back