New Car

Srt10ram

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys
I need a little help here. I plan on purchasing a car within a year. I need some help on deciding on what to get. I want it to be as fast or faster than the Ram, but still get okay gas milage and have good reliabilty. I got a list of the cars I've been looking at. The plan is to buy a used or new car with less than 20,000 miles, which is stock or close to it. For under $35,000. I do understand it will be hard to beat the performance of the Ram for under $35,000 but I think there are some deals out there. Oh and this car will be a daily driver which is driven around 40 miles per day. I usually drive a little Civic Si to and from work. As of right now I'm leaning toward the BMW and Shelby.

2003-2004 SVT Cobra: $22,000-$31,000 12.6 1/4 Mile
Maybe put on a few bolt ons.

2006-2009 Shelby GT500: $29,000-$35,000 12.3 1/4 Mile
Would keep it stock. Maybe Exhaust. Best Deal (500hp For 30k)

2006-2007 Subaru STI: $20,000-$30,000 13.3 1/4 Mile
Definentely get a tune, exhaust, and intake. Reliabilty:confused:

2003-2008 Viper SRT10:$33,000-Overpriced??? (Very Fast)
I just don't know about this one? MPG-Overpriced-Reliability:confused:

2007-2010 BMW 335i Coupe: $28,000-$35,000 13.4 1/4 Mile
Put an Exhaust and maybe tune. Reliability + MPG + Very quick w/ Tune

Thanks I just want an opinion on what you think about each car and what you would get in the same situation.

Last edited:
I have outrun every car on you list except for the Viper. Have you thought about a Caddy CTS-V???

FATJACK said:
I have outrun every car on you list except for the Viper. Have you thought about a Caddy CTS-V???
I have, but even the old CTS-V's are very expensive used. The old ones are slower than the Shelby or Viper they trap 110-112 stock. If I could find a few for under 35k I might be interested.

viper is probably the most reliable in the group, trust me you dont want to drive it everyday or use it as a commuter car.

i'd go with a terminator...best bang for the buck in your group

why not just drive the ram?

BurntRubber said:
viper is probably the most reliable in the group, trust me you dont want to drive it everyday or use it as a commuter car.

i'd go with a terminator...best bang for the buck in your group

why not just drive the ram?
I was thinking the same about the Viper, but they are a good deal, and prices are getting lower everyday.

I was looking at Terminatos instead of Ram's before I bought the truck, so you do have a good point for the best bang for buck.

I don't really want to rack up the miles on the Ram. I got it with around 3800 miles around 5 months ago, and now have 5500 (500 driving it home). I just want to keep the miles as low as possible. :dontknow:

viper will be expensive to maintain and you have to consider vipertax. they are a pain to drive alot, i put 10k miles on my gts in a year and a half.

i put 20k miles on my ram srt10, truck got no attention...the viper people were all over

BurntRubber said:
viper will be expensive to maintain and you have to consider vipertax. they are a pain to drive alot, i put 10k miles on my gts in a year and a half.

i put 20k miles on my ram srt10, truck got no attention...the viper people were all over
I hear ya about the Viper, I mean its driveability is probably horrible. I scared if I get it, it won't be able to go up curbs and scrap on a bumpy roads, & other minor things like that. I feel like an idiot asking, but what is vipertax?

Srt10ram said:
I hear ya about the Viper, I mean its driveability is probably horrible. I scared if I get it, it won't be able to go up curbs and scrap on a bumpy roads, & other minor things like that. I feel like an idiot asking, but what is vipertax?

vipertax = even though its a basic car, everything is overly expensive becasue of low production & people think its an exotic.

BurntRubber said:
vipertax = even though its a basic car, everything is overly expensive becasue of low production & people think its an exotic.
Oh I figured it was something like that, Its the same way with the Ram.

Srt10ram said:
I have, but even the old CTS-V's are very expensive used. The old ones are slower than the Shelby or Viper they trap 110-112 stock. If I could find a few for under 35k I might be interested.

Older Vs are dirt cheap right now, especially considering what the original prices were. Last yearI picked up an 05 V with 20k on the clock for 24k. Identical to this one except the supercharger.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2004...ewItemQQptZUS_Cars_Trucks?hash=item2a05d5fec5

Personally I would throw on a STS Turbo (I know bad word) if the performance isn't enough stock. Their cheap and work well from what I've heard on LS engines. Even with a power adder you are well below your 35k.

If it were me I would get the Terminator but a Shelby will probably hold value better. I'm not really into the STIs but I think the Evo looks better and AWD is nice for a daily driver.

What the heck is a terminator? I would go for the Shelby or the BMW. What about a used Z06? They can be had (last gen) with low miles for around $20k. Seems like the best bargain around to me and they are livable as daily drivers.

ChrisAZ said:
What the heck is a terminator? I would go for the Shelby or the BMW. What about a used Z06? They can be had (last gen) with low miles for around $20k. Seems like the best bargain around to me and they are livable as daily drivers.

Terminators are 03 and 04 Mustang Cobras. Stock 390 hp but the block can handle a lot more and with a few pulley swaps your in the 500 hp easily.

I agree a used Z06 would be a nice DD.

My buddy has an 05 GTO. It's pretty dang quick and is a nice ride too. The interior is really plush compared to the exterior. He gets mid 20s mpg in town and on the highway. And you can get them with low miles for $20k or less. Just a thought.

BurntRubber said:
04 Z06 FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I like the performance, but I've never owned a Chevy and I don't really like the c5 body style.

johnnybravo said:
My buddy has an 05 GTO. It's pretty dang quick and is a nice ride too. The interior is really plush compared to the exterior. He gets mid 20s mpg in town and on the highway. And you can get them with low miles for $20k or less. Just a thought.
The LS2 GTO's are pretty quick, but I think the SRT-10 would take it. The GTO's just don't appeal to me, but I do see where you are coming from...(Bang for Buck)

Fit95 said:
C6 ZO6 :D I'm partial though
Haha I hear ya I would definentely buy one if it was between 35k-45k, but I guess I should quit day dreaming. I love the looks and performance of the new C6 ZO6's, but I think they are a little out of the question for a DD.

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back