New custom shifter!

SergioL.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently purchased a near new X-Metal Gen 1 shifter. I researched as much as I could online but could not find any instructions on the install, so I just winged it. I put silcone on both sides of the spacer and the gasket that goes inbetween it and the base of the shifter, when I finished I took it for a 25 mile test drive and checked for leaks. I did not like the look of the X-Metal handle or the fact that it is straight. I had already shortened the factory handle 2 3/8" and removed the vibration dampener of the Hurst which improved the feel a lot. But, I would still miss 3rd on occasion and I even missed 4th once which is when I started hunting for an upgrade. This has never happened to me in any other vehicle, I feel like the stock shifter in a foxbody is better than these Hursts! I decided to keep the stock handle and I redrilled it so it could bolt up to the X-metal and I turned it so it angles toward the driver instead of away like it is stock. I have it bolted up with the 2 bolts that come with the X-Metal and an extra Grade 8 bolt/nut/lock washer, all with Loctite. It is about as short of a shifter you can run on an '04/'05 and probably impossible in an '06. I am in love all over again with the truck. It feels like I'm driving a car, it damn near goes into 3rd by itself, and it is actually quieter than the Hurst with the Vibration Dampener removed despite the fact I'm running Pennzoil Synchromesh in the trans. I was worried I was going to have to mod it some more after the initial test drive to quiet it down.

I absolutely love the shifter and I know people have removed these to upgrade to newer shifters, I can only imagine what those feel like. I'm 5'8," have my seat slightly leaned back and I can reach the shifter just fine:
1st
000_0554.jpg

3rd
000_0555.jpg

5th
000_0556.jpg

000_0557.jpg

000_0550.jpg

Can somebody school me on X-Metal SRT 10 shifters?
I read the Gen 1's are just B&M SRT 10 Viper shifters modified to work on our trucks. Is this true?
How many different generation X-Metal shifters are there?
Why did they go out of business?

It's a clever idea, but looks way too short.

It's one of those things you have to experience I guess. There is no going back for me. If the handle didn't angle towards the driver I wouldn't be able to run it so short. It is set on the lowest setting, it can be raised some. When the shifter was stock I would grab the handle at about the half way mark because it was more comfortable than reaching up and over to the shift knob. I even find myself subconciously grabbing the handle from under the knob now to reduce wear on it. I got the short shifter idea from forum member "Viper" after doing a search on the X-Metal Gen 1.

Last edited:
I had an X-metal gen 1 in my first truck, I loved it and it had a good feel to it. I just missed getting the shifter you just bought. I agree I would have to experience it but it seems too low to me, but if it works for you that's all that matters.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back