New guy in North Dakota having a problem

black99dakrt

Reaction score
Hows it going? I've got a 06 SRT10 QC and a huge but hopefully small problem. Wondering if you guys can help me out with some diag before i lose patients and take it to the dealership.
Ok, long story short... the truck starts... dies.. I start it again and play with the throttle a bit to climb RPM and keep it up so it warms up a bit... once warmed up it will idle on its own but like complete garbage. Now the kicker is whenever I turn the headlights on or press on the brakes the truck dies. I can have it revved to 3k in park but if I touch the brakes it shuts her down.
I started off thinking vacuum issues so i pulled all of the vacuum lines and seafoamed the truck. didnt fix it. then i thought about how the headlights kill it. so I pulled all the lights out of the headlights and fogs. still no go.... On to the taillights. Popped the taillights out and unplugged them from the harness. Went and tried to start the truck and now it wont start. So, I plug taillights back in and turn the truck on and leave it idling. I start pulling out individual bulbs and on both sides when I pull the center bulb it kills the truck and it wont restart but once I put the bulb back in it starts up and still runs like garbage.
Ive also pulled the alternator and had it bench tested and replaced the battery and checked it just to make sure it was good from the get go.
Any help would be incredible. Sorry if I posted this in the wrong area but my other truck just shoved a rod out of the oil pan and I am getting pretty desperate for a ride to work.

Haha, at one point I thought It may also be a stuck idle air control but idk. it did this run like crap thing for a while but would eventually come out of it and run for a few days fine and act up again and go away and so on. Now it just doesn't come out of it at all.

Or anyone I could call that might help. Not a whole lot of options up here.

is it throwing codes and/or have you checked

Just a k&n intake and cat back exhaust.... dead end there. Nothing lights or interior at all. Haven't even replaced anything.

Clean the grounds on your battery and where they connect to the fuse box and engine. If you can measure your battery voltage with the truck running. Should be around 14VDC.

Im about ready to pull the intake manifold off and check for a weak ignition coil. taking a sleep before hand. Any idea on the resistance the coils should have or ideas on anything else before I pull of that big chunk of aluminum off?

Pulling intake off is a daunting task. I would concentrate more on electrical. If you search the forum you might find similar issues. If I remember correctly several people had problems with the wire loom near the rear of the engine on the passenger side. I can't recall if the problem was the loom rubbing or melting from being to close to the exhaust. I would do a quick check of the entire engine wiring loom before tackling the coil. Good luck.

I will definitely do that. kinda wish I had all the wiring diagrams. haha. The little module on the passenger side with one loom in it, is that the ignition control module? three mounting holes and a rubber plug looking deal in the front of it. found it sitting up by the fire wall not bolted to anything... Don't know how I haven't noticed it before.

Can u take a picture? PCM sits on passenger side firewall but has three plugs full of wires coming off of it.

must be an '06 thang:dontknow:

oh &

welcome to the RBC:rock::rock::rock:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back