New Harley tomorrow

VenomTruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Spent a few hours at the Harley Dealership, and made the decision to go ahead and buy. Only question is, which one? I was more into sport bikes, never had a cruiser. Dont know shit about them. The three that Im torn between are the wide glide, the new Breakout CVO, and the Forty Eight. The Breakout is pretty bad ass, big wheels, big engine, nice look, high price. The wide glide is nice, practical, looks mean enough and the price is ok. The Forty Eight, even though its really just a 1200 sportster with a peanut tank, is the coolest looking one. The fat front tire and overall bobber look really jumped out at me. They have 4 different themed ones to choose from too, gold flakes, satin black, black, and red. Highly customizable bike. Matter of fact they went over an entire list of mods I could do right up front and have them covered under warranty. As of now I think Im gonna get the 48. Only thing is I dont want to get it and hear about how I have a chick bike all the time because its a sportster. Wide Glide would be my next choice, and the Breakout last because its 20 grand. So if theres any Harley guys in here, let me know what you think. I just dont know much about them and dont want to make a mistake. Going tomorrow morning at 10 to pick one of the three up.

I like the 48 and the breakout. I would go roadglide with no trunk and 21" front wheel or a bad ass v-rod

Smaller guys...can't beat the price and performance of a 1200 sporty.....not much room for the wife tho!!...just make sure you ride both!!

The Breakout is the best looking bike Harley has ever made. That's what I would get. I dig the 48's too, but will definitely give you grief if you buy a Sportster :D

Get a glide of some kind (roadglide, electraglide, or road king) I bought a sporty then a fat boy but I LOVE my electra glide. It's a big bike but you can't beat having cruise, stero, and somewhere to put stuff. I will never have a small bike again

The Breakout is a bad ass bike, and the one they have on the showroom floor is incredible. Just not sure I want to spend 20k on a bike right now. What about the wide glide? Seems like a nice bike too. I can get one of those for a great price from this dealership. I still love the 48 too, and it would be a good beginner bike for my wife (she SAYS she is gonna learn to ride) that way I can just let her have that and I can get another bike later on. Drawback is the 2 gallon tank on the 48 tho, Id be at the gas station all the time.

The v rods are cool as hell too, but Ive just heard too many bad things about them. So not even considering one.

What's bad about them? I don't know much about them.

The main thing Ive heard about them is that if you are cruising at 70 mph you are at 4200 rpms. Which is a lot on a cruiser. They lack another gear, which kills your fuel range. And Im not sure about the Night bike. I really dont know much at all about Harleys

You really don't get the full experience until you get into the bigger frame bikes like the glide....what is you'r height and weight, I wouldnt suggest a large frame Harley to anyone under 200 lbs....keep in mind a full dresser us around 900 lbs...

I have a 08 night rod special and love it, 3000 mile ride and no monkey butt. I perfer to ride my v-rod more the my 05 wing. the stretch to the handle bars and forward controls is best suited for 6' tall person.

I have a 08 night rod special and love it, 3000 mile ride and no monkey butt. I perfer to ride my v-rod more the my 05 wing. the stretch to the handle bars and forward controls is best suited for 6' tall person.

Did you just admit you own a gold wing.....OK hand over the man card, and the keys to tour 10...

Mopar Im 5' 10" 200 lbs, Im leaning towards the glide. Everytime I see that 48 though…it gets me. Also the wife wants a bike too, so in time, whatever bike I end up getting will be hers. And it will be her first bike ever. So, as little as she is Im thinking I better just get the 48. That way I can have a year or so to mod it, gift it to my wife, then go back and a bigger bike. I really have no idea which one to get right now man, Ive been online for hours reading reviews, forums, etc.

Get what suites YOU. The only advise I will offer is that you find a dealer that will let you take an extended test ride or will rent you each of the bikes you are looking at for a weekend. It my seem silly to rent a bunch of bikes before you buy one but I have seen too many guys buy the Wrong bike for themselves. So ride it BEFORE you throw down your 20K -30K hard earned dollars and then find out "I Shoud’a bought...."
Also if you have good negotiating skills you might get him to apply the rental cost against the down payment.

holy cow, not one person asked how you intend to ride?

are you a bar hopper, like to disappear in the back roads type of guy or just short trips?

those will help you make a decision

bar hopper - go with the sporty and since you seem to like the looks of it, who cares what others think, and the wideglide is good for that too, besides we all know the girls bike is the Deluxe

short trips - go with the Breakout, it's by far the best looking softail in the line - newer design, long, low, bit tire and really great lines - but the CVO is almost 26k if that is the one you are looking at, and that is BIG $$$ for a softail

if you like to get lost and be on the bike for hours and hours, then you really need to look at the touring line up

right now the touring line is where the market has turned to, there are more baggers and custom baggers flying out the doors then ever before.

don't get caught up in the "geezer glide" nickname, that is what it WAS, now baggers are the custom bikes, from custom stereos, wheels, stretched bags, custom paint!

all that, and comfy riding positions, cruise control secured bags and about all the accessories you can think of to customize your ride

then you also have to think (as another person mentioned) what your own frame will be comfy on -if you are a smaller guy the sporty or breakout will fit, if you are a little taller then the wideglide will be more comfy so you don't feel cramped

me, I have a SG and have for several years and I wouldn't trade it for anything, but I am planning on adding a breakout to the garage next year once the SG is paid off, cause it's really fun to run around town on a softail (but I do have the wife's fatboy when i want it)

however I took a run up to DC from South FL this year with a buddy for rolling thunder and we did the trip in 1 day, 14 hours over 800 miles and there is NO WAY you are doing that on a softail, a dyna or a sporty and walking the next day

Mopar Im 5' 10" 200 lbs, Im leaning towards the glide. Everytime I see that 48 though…it gets me. Also the wife wants a bike too, so in time, whatever bike I end up getting will be hers. And it will be her first bike ever. So, as little as she is Im thinking I better just get the 48. That way I can have a year or so to mod it, gift it to my wife, then go back and a bigger bike. I really have no idea which one to get right now man, Ive been online for hours reading reviews, forums, etc.

You really need to ride both...then make your mind up...what street bikes have you rode?

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back