New HIDs

johnnybravo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ordered HIDs from Steve at XenonDepot about a month ago. Due to a mix-up in shipping, the resistors that are supposed to come with the kits didn't get sent. Got ahold of Steve and he sent them out right away. To those of you that don't have kits from him, they are the shit. Had some help from Tekhaus and Kickinassrt with the install and now they work great. I'll be putting in the fogs tomorrow hopefully then I'll put up some pics. Thanks for all the help on this you guys. This site rocks.:rock:

Did you get resistors for the headlights because the lights are only low beams and set off a light for no high beams? If so, does Steve not offere a Bi-Xenon kit for high and low beam? John put a kit in from Steve but one of the hid fog lights didnt work so I took it to a shop here and they asked why there were so many wires "under there".

spdrcrj said:
Did you get resistors for the headlights because the lights are only low beams and set off a light for no high beams? If so, does Steve not offere a Bi-Xenon kit for high and low beam? John put a kit in from Steve but one of the hid fog lights didnt work so I took it to a shop here and they asked why there were so many wires "under there".

The resistors that are supposed to come with his kits are needed to allow your HIDs to turn on. Something to do with the fact that HIDs are only 35 watts and halogens are 55 watts. I'm not sure if Steve has a bi-xenon kit for our trucks, but I remember reading on here somewhere that bi-xenon bulbs are more likely to have problems. IMO, these new lights are plenty bright so I don't think not having high beams will be an issue.

Prof said:
Anything available (HID) for the back-up lights?

I've seen LED bulbs to replace the factory bulbs. Just a little cluster of LEDs that plug into the factory harness. I think those are pretty bright. Are you trying to blind people that are riding your tail instead of brake checking? :p

Good concept! Those people that fail to dim their high beams and ride your bumper...what a shock...flip a switch and HID them into oblivion.

johnnybravo said:
The resistors that are supposed to come with his kits are needed to allow your HIDs to turn on. Something to do with the fact that HIDs are only 35 watts and halogens are 55 watts. I'm not sure if Steve has a bi-xenon kit for our trucks, but I remember reading on here somewhere that bi-xenon bulbs are more likely to have problems. IMO, these new lights are plenty bright so I don't think not having high beams will be an issue.

the resistors are for keeping the lamp out light from comming on. 35 watt instead of 55watts means they draw less current.

Someone posted this site a moth or two back:

http://www.tspny.com/hid.html

So if I get these and they are just plug and play, will I get a code from my lights? I called them and they said I shouldn't, but just wanted to ask yall guys who have them. Just don't want to waste my money and time.

i have a regular kit on mine and i have the lamp out light on. i ordered the resistors but dont know what i did with them..

JohnnyBravo, glad to hear you got everything working!

The resistors are needed on Steve's system as the only load the Totally Integrated Power Module sees is the relay to switch on the HIDs. The relay doesn't draw very much current at all. The HID ballast and ignitor modules are connected directly to the battery, so they don't exist, as far as the module is concerned. The resistor acts as a load equal to the resistance of the lamp.

The is also a wire that needs to get added to bridge the high and low beams together, so the module sees resistance (aka a lamp) on both the highs and lows.

IMHO, you'll never need high beams again.

My set up is different. The socket/port for the original bulbs are still wired into the system so I bought a couple resistors from Radio Shack for each side and soldered them in place onto the OEM socket. That knocked out the infamous lamp out indicator. I don't have high beams but I've gone through two vehicle inspections without high beams. My 8000k HID heads and fogs seem to be bright enough to pass.

All this sounds like a lot of work and complicated...does our vendor here provide a turn-key solution?

What are the instructions like?

Anyone have a DIY list with pictures?

Maybe we need to get Kevan on this...

I agree Roy, but unfortunately Kevan hasn't posted for sometime.. Probably for reasons I won't divulge here. But it would be great to have Kevan back to tackle this issue and provide us with a DIY step-by-step path to a better and more efficient HID install.

To be honest, the install was really straight forward and only took around 30-45 min for both headlights. It's entirely plug and play with the exception of the resistors which was super easy and the lamp out fix.

Venom Power said:
I agree Roy, but unfortunately Kevan hasn't posted for sometime.. Probably for reasons I won't divulge here. But it would be great to have Kevan back to tackle this issue and provide us with a DIY step-by-step path to a better and more efficient HID install.

Kevan is a constant over on the SRT C site...I will get in touch with him.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back