New Hood Ornament!

Kevan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was working on the truck last night and had a new hood ornament fly onto it.
Well, technically it's the roof, but....:D

The 9/16" socket is for scale (though it doesn't really help much).

This guy was so big, I thought a bird had flown into the garage.

Attachments

• P1010594.JPG
    P1010594.JPG
    167 KB · Views: 340
  • P1010595.JPG
    P1010595.JPG
    166.3 KB · Views: 239
  • P1010601.JPG
    P1010601.JPG
    166.9 KB · Views: 179
  • P1010600.JPG
    P1010600.JPG
    163.3 KB · Views: 176
Where did you get? How much did it cost? Can they do one in blue and white:D

That would be a Sphinx moth. Maybe the member here with the tarantula could make a cheesy monster movie with both of them.

Thanks for the tip, HemiKiller.
Looks like he/she is either a Rustic Sphinx or Florestan Sphinx.
http://nitro.biosci.arizona.edu/zeeb/butterflies/Spectacular.html

I was always told not to touch a moth's wings; that there is a fine powder on their wings that the oils on our skin can damage.
I didn't touch him/her, but I did notice a fine powder on the roof of the truck after it left the garage. Almost like very, VERY tiny hairs.

Pretty interesting animal. Didn't move as I opened and closed the truck door a dozen times. Very content to catch some rays from the overhead light. :)

Kevan said:
Thanks for the tip, HemiKiller.
Looks like he/she is either a Rustic Sphinx or Florestan Sphinx.
http://nitro.biosci.arizona.edu/zeeb/butterflies/Spectacular.html

I was always told not to touch a moth's wings; that there is a fine powder on their wings that the oils on our skin can damage.
I didn't touch him/her, but I did notice a fine powder on the roof of the truck after it left the garage. Almost like very, VERY tiny hairs.

Pretty interesting animal. Didn't move as I opened and closed the truck door a dozen times. Very content to catch some rays from the overhead light. :)

He stole your rays in the garage! :D

We have a little fella that hangs out on our back patio at night that looks like that... Sarah was petrified at first, because the bottom of it looks like a big stinger! :D Sure enough, you have a Sphinx Moth. :rock:

Here's what our little buddy looks like. :)

moth.GIF

mauiSRT/10 said:
Thats a big bug!!!! ...............reminds me of a great movie.......Starship Troopers!!!! Love that Denise Richards.......ouch!!!

patrick

starship troopers....hum yes.... Denise Richards....hum yes yes....:star:

Here is AZ we have Palo Verde beetles.. I was at my friends house in Buckeye... and I kid you not.. this thing landed on the back porch, it was no less than 4 inches long, and 2 inches wide...

I have a picture of it stuck on the pitch fork somewhere.. I will post when I find it... we stuck it with a pitch fork, then in a coffee can with lid, and the next day it was still alive...:slug:

This is an example pic of one... that was about 5 inches long... not ours.. but.. close..

Attachments

• giant-beetle.jpg
    giant-beetle.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 64
Stinker had an ornament but he used it for his hat though.....:D

Attachments

• DSCF1023.JPG
    DSCF1023.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 42

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!