New(ish) Member 06 QC

EZislandboy

Reaction score
So I bought my 2006 QC about two years ago from a guy down in Florida. I have enjoyed every minute driving her, but regrettably, I haven't spent much time keeping her healthy due to military deployments and such. And to put it all out there, I'm not as knowledgeable about vehicles as I wish I was (I know a lot of you may be cursing me for buying such an amazing truck and not properly grooming her). I've spent quite a bit of time reading through these forums here and I am in awe of the masterpieces ya'll have built. I kind of feel like an ass because I call her my pride and joy, but I haven't done any mods, relying on what the last guy put in her (K&N intake, electronic cutouts, and SCT tuner).

Now, I want to breathe some life back into her. I want to dress her up and get it running faster... and louder. I would appreciate any suggestions on performance parts and visual mods. Right now, the entire exhaust system is pretty rusted, brake light comes on while driving (but e-brake is not engaged), and the front brakes squeal at times, even though the damn dealership just replaced the front calipers and brake lines.

First I'm looking at new front rotors from theviperstore.com, the High Performance Slotted and Dimpled Centrex Rotors. Want to go with red hats as red and black will be her colors.
Next will be the Belanger complete 3" exhaust system. I figure I might as well replace the headers, cats, pipes, everything. I have heard about the "X pipes" though, what is the advantage of those?
I want also to hook her up with a new radiator or electrical fan system. I don't know anything about them though, but this one looks like it's been taking a beating. I have only looked alittle at the triple pass aluminum radiator and JMB's Electric fan assembly (which I can also get colored red). Hopefully someone can enlighten me on what is best here.
Then I'm looking at new lights. The previous owner blacked out the headlights by spraypainting the inside of the lights, so basically I use my HID fog lights as headlights at night, crazy, but it works. I want to maintain her "blacked out" look, so I thinking the black or smoked Oracle projector headlights.
Lastly, I would like to repaint her, all black again. The small dings, little scratches, and bits of rust around the bed are bugging the hell out of me.

Those are the big things I want to change, but throughout this I'll be getting things like JMB's radiator pipes, replacement coolant and washer fluid jugs, new thermostat, fuse box cover, and whatever else I can find to add performance and style. Oh, and the Hood panel has gotten old... those stainless steel panels with the viper emblem are sweet looking.

I know this will take some time and cash, but hopefully some of ya'll can let me know if my priorities are on the right track and what I'm missing here.
I'm currently near in Fayetteville, NC and possibly looking at Competition Auto to do the work on her.
Thanks for any input!

Attachments

• IMG_0230.jpg
    IMG_0230.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 32
  • IMG_0874.jpg
    IMG_0874.jpg
    626.1 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_0873.jpg
    IMG_0873.jpg
    534.2 KB · Views: 31
Welcome! First things first. Fix the dam brakes, whatever it takes! Calipers & lines are a good start. New rotors means new pads & flush brakes with new DOT4 fluid right away. This is the only upgrade that will keep you off the wall. New headlights will be next. With 500HP you need to see. Get her running 100% first. All new synthetic motor oil, filter , trans service, rear diff gear oil, power steering & hydro fan (takes ATF).
Pressure test the cooling system. Fix any leaks. Change coolant. A new stock hose is better than burning up the engine while saving hard pipes & fancy tanks. Believe me this is going to add up $quick$!

9, thanks for the info. It def makes sense to check what I've got first. I forgot to mention that the power steering crapped out about 3 months ago and I went to the dealer to have them order and put in a new one... An experience that showed me that I need to find someone more knowledgable to work on her.
I'll go ahead and order the new rotors, but what kind of pads are best to go with? The EBC green supremes sound appealing at the moment.

Venomous1, you talking about jtsvp? I really want to make it up there, I just need to find time to make the 3hr trip up and 3 hr trip back!

Welcome to the VTCoA!

Welcome to the Forum. Enjoy the Ride.

Drive up to Tony's enjoy the day grab a hotel and spend the night and drive back the next day. You might want to call 1st.

Thank all of you for welcoming me to vtcoa.
Gonna go ahead with the Zeckhausen posi quiets now instead of EBC pads.

Sorry for the oblivious moment there, I'll get up to Tony's for sure.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back