New member with *gasp* another gearing question...

Fishninja27

Reaction score
Hello to all...

This forum seems like a very informative place with good, passionate enthusiasts. :rock:

I recently sold my mustang and now I am in pursuit of an SRT-10. I've loved these since they first came out, unfortunately they were waaaaay out of my price range. I just looked at 04 RC with a mopar cam, intake, headers, borla catback and 4.56's. It is a very clean, we'll taken care of truck but lacked in the acceleration that I was anticipating. My questions are, how much did 5.13 or even 5.38's wake up your guys' trucks? I've been researching and it appears the 04's have a different center section in the rear end, is this true? Also, in 6th with stock tires will I be under 3k RPM at 75 mph with either of these ratios?

Thanks in advance!

Welcome to the VTCoA!!! The gearing gurus will show up soon to help you out.

Great, now Caveman is going to refresh every gear thread from the past ten years. :D

You would need a different carrier to move up to lower gears. I know you would like the 4.88 gears set.

I knew another gearing question would make people nauseous, my bad. Ultimately it's up to the individual for preference and driving style, I know. I was just wondering if it was a BIG improvement to jump that low(high) in gearing relative to the cost of a new carrier, install etc. Ok, no more gearing, I promise :)

Hello to all...

This forum seems like a very informative place with good, passionate enthusiasts. :rock:

I recently sold my mustang and now I am in pursuit of an SRT-10. I've loved these since they first came out, unfortunately they were waaaaay out of my price range. I just looked at 04 RC with a mopar cam, intake, headers, borla catback and 4.56's. It is a very clean, we'll taken care of truck but lacked in the acceleration that I was anticipating. My questions are, how much did 5.13 or even 5.38's wake up your guys' trucks? I've been researching and it appears the 04's have a different center section in the rear end, is this true? Also, in 6th with stock tires will I be under 3k RPM at 75 mph with either of these ratios?

Thanks in advance!

With stock height tires (305-40-22, 31.5" tall) with 5.13 gears you will be doing 2,125 rpm @ 75 mph. With 5.38 gears you will be doing 2,152 rpm @ 75 mph. And yes you will need a new center section with anything lower than 4.56's.

Hello to all...

Thanks in advance!

Hi. Welcome the best forum on the www. Many of us have tried different gear ratios, ranging from 3.07 up to 7.17. The very quickest times at the track have all been with a 3.55 gear. Some speculate that a 3.23 would be the absolute bestest. But, this has not been tested on the dragstrip. If you would like additional information, please use the "search" function located in the upper left hand corner. Also, a brief scanning of the forums would reveal that this topic has been discussed no less than 25 times within the last 9 days. These trucks require a little work to produce maximum enjoyment. They are not for the lazy. Obtaining useful information from this forum is the same way. WADR, of course.

Lol my bad, all the threads I had found recently were referring to higher gear ratios. I had searched through google but only found a couple referring to 5.13 or bigger. Maybe I'm too lazy for this forum ;)

This thread smells "fishy" Who's the alternate ego here?

Btw, I love the Batman unicorn mod. Guaranteed to pick up 5 tenths E.T. :)
If you only picked up 5 tenths with the Batman-unicorn mod, you are doing it wrong. That mod alone should be worth a second. Add in 3.23 gears and you should be DEEP in the 11's.

Where are you located?

Lol Caveman! Dang it I must have put it in backwards. I'm down here in the sweltering armpit of Phoenix

Lol Caveman! Dang it I must have put it in backwards. I'm down here in the sweltering armpit of Phoenix
The truck you are looking at should have plenty of snap down there (good for mid 12's), with the mods that are on it and with the factory 4.10 gears. "itsmekylep" has an identical setup to that truck. You should contact him and go for a ride so you have something to compare to. These trucks are like anything else: the shorter the gear, the quicker they feel. But, that doesn't always translate at the track. A 4.88 in a RC will require shifting to 5th before the 1/4 ends, netting slower ET's. A 4.88 in a QC seems to work really well. The truck you are looking at should blaze the tires at will. If it doesn't, something isn't right.

I mean it when I say "Welcome to the VTCoA". Hopefully you find a great truck and spend some time here. I think you will fit in well.

The truck you are looking at should have plenty of snap down there (good for mid 12's), with the mods that are on it and with the factory 4.10 gears. "itsmekylep" has an identical setup to that truck. You should contact him and go for a ride so you have something to compare to. These trucks are like anything else: the shorter the gear, the quicker they feel. But, that doesn't always translate at the track. A 4.88 in a RC will require shifting to 5th before the 1/4 ends, netting slower ET's. A 4.88 in a QC seems to work really well. The truck you are looking at should blaze the tires at will. If it doesn't, something isn't right.

I mean it when I say "Welcome to the VTCoA". Hopefully you find a great truck and spend some time here. I think you will fit in well.

I think it was my truck he drove :D

I think it was my truck he drove :D
LOLOL!!! Figures.

Hey fishninja, I heard you previously drove a GT500. If that's the case, I can see why a bolt on '10 feels slow. A RC easily weighs 5000 plus the driver.

**Edit** I should also mention that Kyle is GTG. I wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger on his truck. Also, a couple weight reduction mods, coupled with shorter gears, should get the fun factor closer to what you had in your Mustang.

Last edited:
LOLOL!!! Figures.

Hey fishninja, I heard you previously drove a GT500. If that's the case, I can see why a bolt on '10 feels slow. A RC easily weighs 5000 plus the driver.

Yes sir, Mine is 5180 w/driver

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back