New Problem Looking for some help

80boboli

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The other day i got in my truck and the interior lights didn't come on when i opened the door. The time before i had opened my door and when the door hit the hinge stop the lights flickered a few times each time the door would hit the stop. And then all of a sudden they stopped working all together when the door is opened.

They can still be turned on when i push on them both when the doors are opened and closed and both the one behind the seats and the two over the dash board but something is wrong when i open the doors. Any one have any idea where the door switch is for the lights to go on when he door is opened or what may be going on? there are no blown fuses that i can see.

might sound like a silly question but have you tried turning your dimmer switch up? if you put it to minimum the interior lights wont come on when you open the door i have done that before lol.

Is there a plunger switch that opens and closes with the door? If so I would check to see if that is sticking.

There are no stupid questions as i try to fix this but unfortunately it is not as simple as turning up the dimmer switch.

Also i dont see a plunger on the door. i used to have one on my S-10 and that is the first thing i looked for. I thought it may have been a short but i havnt found any blown fuses as i mentioned. I was hoping someone knew how the interior lights are turned on and off with the door since there isant a plunger.

It's triggered through the latch I believe sir. Check wiring on latch inside door. :burnout:

I didnt think of looking at the latch ill check that out when i get home. ive been really lazy and havnt had time to pull the doors off lately, i was hoping it was an easier fix and there was going to be a switch in the hinge, no such luck so far.

Give it a try. Use the shaft if screwdriver or your finger and rotate lock all the way locked, the open handle, and pull lock all the way forward in latch and see if light comes on. Maybe wiggle lock plate back and forth and see if it cleans contacts.

Neither the pass or driver side doors or the remote would trigger the interior lights. after taking your advise and pulling the doors completely apart i looked at a service manual and you are correct the "door ajar switch" is located inside the door latches. it is a little white plastic piece inside the latch mechanism that pushes in when the door is closed.

they can't be replaced on their own the entire latch needs to be replaced and the pass side is in parallel series while the dirver side is in series between the ground and the instrument cluster. With that being said i took a flat head and pushed on both of the door ajar switches a few times and voila the lights are working like brand new again. i hope the switch dosnt fail because the latch looks like a bitch to replace.

Thanks again for all the help with this obscure problem. i couldnt find anything else like this on here so maybe the next time someones interior lights arnt working this thread will help? Ill prolly also hit the inside of the latch with some NUTRI clean to hopefully keep the contacts strong.

In the end VTCOA rocks!!!!:D:D:rock::rock::burnout::burnout:

Neither the pass or driver side doors or the remote would trigger the interior lights. after taking your advise and pulling the doors completely apart i looked at a service manual and you are correct the "door ajar switch" is located inside the door latches. it is a little white plastic piece inside the latch mechanism that pushes in when the door is closed.

they can't be replaced on their own the entire latch needs to be replaced and the pass side is in parallel series while the dirver side is in series between the ground and the instrument cluster. With that being said i took a flat head and pushed on both of the door ajar switches a few times and voila the lights are working like brand new again. i hope the switch dosnt fail because the latch looks like a bitch to replace.

Thanks again for all the help with this obscure problem. i couldnt find anything else like this on here so maybe the next time someones interior lights arnt working this thread will help? Ill prolly also hit the inside of the latch with some NUTRI clean to hopefully keep the contacts strong.

In the end VTCOA rocks!!!!:D:D:rock::rock::burnout::burnout:

I bolded the most important part of this message!

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back