new SCT problem that you may all need to know

Streetgliderx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well i have the X2 SCT handheld for my truck that i got from the PO and i cant get it to load or work from my computer, after 2 hours of SCT tech support they tell me the device is outdated and the software to make changes to it are not available on thier site and do not know when or IF it will become available.

so unless someone can send me the older software file i guess im doomed to buy a new SCT and have Torrie tune it

I also had issue with my sct tuner. I had them send me a second tuner and it didn't work either. I was on the phone for hours and it took me 3 weeks and I'm still fighting with them. They even sent me the older firmware file and it didn't fix the issue. Finally they told me the issue is the tuner itself. They just realized with the 3200 tuner they had them programed wrong. They said they need to switch the board out in the tuner and it will work. I'm waiting on my tuner to come back. I will keep you posted. Good luck!

Torrie came thru big time and sent me the older software so I'm up and running!!!!!

I am having a problem with the SCT X3 that just arrived a little over a week ago. The SCT Device Updater software will not "see" the tuner. When I try to load the custom tune, I get the message "Wrong file type for device". I have the "current" software downloaded from the SCT site, and SCT informs me that I may have to talk with them by phone to resolve this. Sounds like I have the same problem as Foxraceryzf. I will shoot Torrie an email in the morning and see if I can get the fix that Streetgliderx got.

Rather than start another thread about SCT tuners I'll add my thoughts here....

The plug and play upload to the truck is very appealing as all the 'how to' youtube etc films make it look like something a child can do.

Ordered on 24/12 from Torrie, to my surprise was delivered to the UK on 30/12. I hadn't appreciated the custom file would be emailed to me and needed to be loaded to the tuner.

No problem, I'm not an idiot and have access to a computer and laptop, Torrie sent the file within minutes of me emailing the serial number of the machine.

First problem is both my computers are Apple products so I'm now essentially screwed because no software from SCT for these machines - not exactly rare beasts are they....?

A get hold of a PC laptop from a mate running windows 10 and all working fine, (£150) load the SCT Uploader and connect my tuner but they won't talk to one another.

I waste many hours of my time and Torries trying to get this working. Downloading 'windows drivers' and changing loads of the settings on the computer. I'm not too worried about the PC as I've only bought it to get this working.

Lots of worrying messages on the screen, 'are you sure you want to do this?/this is not secure etc, warning', not sure I'd want to risk the contents of my other machines.

Next I pop around my neighbours house, get them to upload the SCT Uploader and try their machine, same thing - won't connect to the tuner. They weren't happy about the on screen messages too but are car people and were keen to see it work, so tried.

So after literally 2 days of poncing about, Torrie has run out of ideas, he tells me to contact tech support at SCT which I did - I've still not heard back after 7 days......

Yesterday another mate of mine who's capable enough to fix PC's, build websites etc spent an hour on it and managed to get it working!

Short version - this isn't quite as easy as you're led to believe, you'll need a windows based PC that you won't mind potentially getting knackered and hope you don't need 'SCT Tech Support', I'll report back if they ever get back to me....

Support from Unleashed Tuning is great and the results are night and day after getting it working.

If you're not very techy and don't have acces to someone that is, I'd insist the tune is loaded to the tuner before they mail it to you.....once the above is done loading to the truck is as easy as it looks!

Now that I'm reading all these possible issues I realize I haven't even tested the tunner I bought from a member here. Nor have I downloaded the RC tune on to it that I will need for my conversion.

when i got mine last year it had driver issues and wouldn't load tunes either. after Torrie couldn't get it fixed he sent me to SCT tech and i spent an hour on the phone with them remoteing into my PC and downloading stuff to my PC to make their tuner work.

i don't think Torrie will open the tuner before sending it to you but maybe. Being in the UK is really a bitch trying to be on the phone with tech support here

i wish there was a competing device but being such an old vehicle that won't happen. i THINK the truck is faster but until i get better tires I'm actually running slower right now

Completely agree - I ended up uninstalling, reinstalling & then manually installing the drivers.
There was one thread on the Internet, maybe linked to an SCT dealer that helped out....kinda clunky & took me a couple of hours to figure out.

Oh, and SCT customer service weren't that helpful on the couple of occasions I called them.
Don't think I ever had a response to my email.

Why so many issues with SCT all of the sudden? Has anybody had issues like this prior to this recent run of tuners?

Had same issue with the x3, the tech remote logged in on my computer and fixed it with a driver.

The issue? Now that Derive and SCT have combined, half the time you are talking to Derive people, and not SCT. They still know VERY little about the product.

Here is one for you:

About 3 weeks ago, I had a customer who accidentally bricked his PCM, and needed a recovery file... I have been doing this for years, and remanufacture these PCM's, I know exactly what he did and what he needed. I had him call SCT, and ask for a recovery file. They pulled him through the ringer, and were absolutely reluctant to give him the file. I call SCT, and try to figure out what is going on. I find out- the asshole tech that took his call was on vacation, and was answering remotely- he couldnt even WRITE a recovery file! Rather than help my customer and forward him to another agent, be badgered him for near a half an hour doing pointless tests, and wouldn't listen to what I was instructing by proxy through my customer. I had to wait for him to hang up, and then have another tech call him that knew what the deal was who I fielded in advance.

Absolute biggest joke of customer service I have ever seen over there lately.

For what its worth, a lot of you guys should be looking at Direct Flash instead of SCT. Why pay for the hand-held if you are only going to ever use it once?

So how did u fix the problem

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back