New Truck. Quick questions!

camslambam

Reaction score
Hey guys.

Got an SRT10 as a daily about a month ago. I am down here in Central America. It's the only SRT10 down here.:rock:

Anyway for some reason the truck feels VERY VERY slow. I have changed spark plugs, oil, everything. Just to give you an idea in stock trim the truck with 4 people in it (including me) could only pull 1 car on a hyundai veracruz (250hp/270tq) with 3 people in it.

First question... I have a supercharged SS (630rwhp) and when I was stock there were issues with the gas table being reset if you put bad gas in it and you had to pull a fuse or the car would run very very slow. Is there something similar for the srt10? Down here we have REALLY BAD gas.... I'm think 88 octane.. So maybe that's where I am losing all my power?

I do have a nitrous kit and water meth on the truck but I don't run anyone with it because people refuse to run me. So right now I re uploaded the stock tune and have the meth and spray turned off.

Second question... What are the best and most cost effective mods for these trucks? Like I mentioned I have spray and meth but I'm thinking something along the lines of a CAI or maybe some headers? What are the best mods to throw on these beasts? It's currently my daily but I just can't have a car and not mod it.:dontknow:

2i96h2.jpg

88 Octane = :(

Get some 93 in that pup!! I believe premium is required at all times..

You have to run premium only in these trucks. I'm thinking that may be the problem. It's not pulling enough timing with that crappy gas you are using. Just a guess tho.

Well I am in Central America and we have no premium gas available.

We have 95, 91, 89.

95 = like a 91 or 88
91 and 89 are even worse.

My supercharged SS runs with meth. I inject at 1psi and full inject at 3psi (lol), even though full boost is 9psi.

Anything you guys think I can do to help the beast out? Only octane boosters come to mind but they are extremely expensive.

combination of high air temperature and 88 octane will cause the computer to pull alot of timing!!! I bet a little shot of nitrous sure wakes her up!!!

You have to run premium only in these trucks. I'm thinking that may be the problem. It's not pulling enough timing with that crappy gas you are using. Just a guess tho.

Actually what happens is the computer sees the knock sensor report and PULLS timing from the tune, therefore reducing power. Agreed his problem is likely due to crappy octane though:D

combination of high air temperature and 88 octane will cause the computer to pull alot of timing!!! I bet a little shot of nitrous sure wakes her up!!!

Problem is if he's already knocking and timing is being pulled, then he shoots Nitorus on top of that he will surely be detonating and really risk the BIG BANG:dontknow:

Problem is if he's already knocking and timing is being pulled, then he shoots Nitorus on top of that he will surely be detonating and really risk the BIG BANG:dontknow:

Well I will be using meth to compensate for the bad octane under spray.

Meth will inject full boost at WOT when spray kicks in. Hopefully this will prevent detonation.

I use it on my 5th gen and it has 0 knock under 9psi boost.

the problem with 88 octane is the hot air temps and 9.6-1 compression ratio. the tuner may not be able to compensate . the fuel may auto ignite. preignition is the same as detonation but uncontrollable.

under those fuel conditions, maybe an sct tuner with an 88 octane tune would be better than the oem computer having to compensate, no???

Exactly Dan! He needs to tune for the 88 octane which will retard timing a few degrees, then on top of that have a second tune with a couple more degrees retarded for the N2O.:D

the problem with 88 octane is the hot air temps and 9.6-1 compression ratio. the tuner may not be able to compensate . the fuel may auto ignite. preignition is the same as detonation but uncontrollable.

Retarding the timing and datalogging is the key here. A tuner should be able to knock a few degrees off across the board and the engine be fine. Spraying without a tune is scary stuff with our engines though with the ringlands wanting to give way under detonation or high cylinder pressure.:eek:

convert it to Liquid Propane Gas , like we do here in Europe.
then u have 100+ octane...:)

Ok i dont care if your running piss for gas how do you almost lose to a hyundai veracruz ?

Can you get ethanol? We have e85 here and it's about 103 octane. Maybe a 80/20(gas/ethanol) mix would let the truck run full timing. Get a tuner ASAP as the qc has factory torque management which kills power in 1st gear anyway, and if you truck is already pulling timing because of bad gas then i bet it'd really feel like a dog.

So you guys say get a tuner?

I have SCT but was told there are no dataloggin hardware for it like there is for chevy and what not...

So you guys say get a tuner?

I have SCT but was told there are no dataloggin hardware for it like there is for chevy and what not...

You can get other software to datalog, then send the results in for the tune. A wideband is a nice investment to see what your A/F ratio looks like thru the RPMs and correct where needed based on the feedback from this gauge. Timing thru the pull, A/F ratio,knock retard, coolant temp, Intake Air Temp, are many of the data that needs logging.:D

You can get other software to datalog, then send the results in for the tune. A wideband is a nice investment to see what your A/F ratio looks like thru the RPMs and correct where needed based on the feedback from this gauge. Timing thru the pull, A/F ratio,knock retard, coolant temp, Intake Air Temp, are many of the data that needs logging.:D

Any tuners you guys recommend? I got AF tuning gauges and what not.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back