Newbie question

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCsrt10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to say hi, and ask a newbie question, my 05 SC needs an oil change and the dealer tells me, they are the only one that carry the mobil oil for my truck. I was wondering what you guys use. Thanks for any help

Welcome to the club, Havent done my first change yet but someone here will be able to help they always are helpfull :D

Last edited:
You can buy Mobil 1 oil at any auto store. Wal-Mart also carries it a little cheaper than some others.

What is an 05 SC?

And welcome, by the way :D

Wifey said:
You can buy Mobil 1 oil at any auto store. Wal-Mart also carries it a little cheaper than some others.

What is an 05 SC?

I thought he was referring to the 0-40 w

I buy Mobil 1 at the auto store and I get the Mopar filters from the dealer. I buy Mopar filters because I don't want any warranty issues.

BCsrt10 said:
Yep i was referring to the 0-40 mobil
Have you checked you local stores for it? If they carry that weight it will be cheaper than at the dealer.

BCsrt10 said:
Just wanted to say hi, and ask a newbie question, my 05 SC needs an oil change and the dealer tells me, they are the only one that carry the mobil oil for my truck. I was wondering what you guys use. Thanks for any help

The dealer is lying. They are not the only source for the oil, but they may be the most expensive. A local DCX dealer near me is selling Mobil 1 (0-40), which is what I use in my 2006QC, for $10.50/quart!!!

I just did the first oil change in my QC and bought the same oil from Kragen Auto Parts for $6/quart. I'm told that it's available from Walmart for less than that. I'm sure it's also available elsewhere. Just shop around for it.

If you buy anything from the dealer, just buy the oil filter which should just cost $6-7. I've seen conflicting comments on which oil filter to buy, but there's always someone who says that the stock oil filter is just fine. Can't breach the warranty by using a DCX filter, so I just go w/that.

Also, if you don't want to do your own oil change, you need to shop around for a place that will do a "labor only" oil/filter change for cheap. I contacted my local Penzoil and Jiffy Lube shops and they both wanted about $40 to do it, but found an independent oil change shop that would do it for about $20.

But, in this case, don't rule out your dealer as a possibility. My local DCX dealers routinely send me discount oil change certificates (usually for $18), but I got one for $12 and, with that certificate, they only charged me $10.

Best deal I ever got out of a dealer!!!!!!!!

I agree with SwingShiftWorker: The dealer is flat-out lying to you.

I get my 6-pack boxes of Mobil 1 from Sam's Club for about $6/quart and do the change myself.
HINT: Get a small box of disposable rubber gloves. :)

There are a couple of different oil drain valves out there to aid in the process.

The only thing I get from the dealer is the Mopar oil filter for $4.99. I can get you the part number if you'd like.

It's pretty damn easy to do.

Welcome to the madhouse BC:ciao: -----Hell my stealership had NO clue how many quarts of oil went into my truck.....best bet is to find someone you trust or do it yourself:D

no way id mess with that dealer. like veryone else said do it yourself, at least youll know its right when its done'

Welcome BC! I also change the oil myself for piece of mind.:)

Also, if you're not familiar with them, a FUMOTO Oil Drain Valve makes changing oil that much easier and cleaner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back