Nitrogen in Tires?

JeffBoyette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is alot of hype around here about putting nitrogen in your tires. The going rate is $35+. Can anyone tell me anything about it?

Most tires are filled with compressed air, which when dry consists of about 78 percent nitrogen, 21 percent oxygen, and 1 percent other gases by volume. Your talking about a weight difference of less than 4 percent of the gas in the tire, which is an ounce for us. There must be more to it then this. Is this a complete ripoff?

Nitrogen does not seep thru the tires like air does. You will maintain air pressure much longer. The Costco stores fill your tires now for free out here in California when you buy tires they also refill for free.
500H V10

the only major gains are the fact that the nitrogen will not leak out of the tire as fast compressed air. so now that you know that then you will also understand that the nitrogen will not change tire temp as much. with the tire temp being the same they claim the tire will last longer. the weight is not really a big deal when dealing with nitrogen. so the big question would i put it in my tires. NO

dragon said:
..... so the big question would i put it in my tires. NO

Why not? What's the "bad" side?

The temp changes from BLISTERING to Chilly here in FL overnight... I have a hell of a time keeping a consistent pressure in my tires. I thought Nitrogen might be an answer to this. :dontknow: Let me know why it shouldn't be. :eek:

reason for N2 in tires:
-Air molecules escape faster through the rubber than Nitrogen thus your pressure will will remain longer (less fuel consumption and better contact on the road)
-Less tire Aging since you have less O2 inside (oxidator). N2 is inert gas.
-Compressed Air can contain water. Fluctuating tire temps can cause condensation/evaporation, thus pressure swings. Indirectly it prevents blowouts due to flex on the tire wall

Big Transport companies with a lot of trucks and mileage will confirm they save money on fuel, maintenance (downtime) and tires...when using N2

Black1 said:
Why not? What's the "bad" side?

The temp changes from BLISTERING to Chilly here in FL overnight... I have a hell of a time keeping a consistent pressure in my tires. I thought Nitrogen might be an answer to this. :dontknow: Let me know why it shouldn't be. :eek:

once nitrogen becomes more avaliable i may think about it but its not worth the $35 it cost to fill them. then what do you do when you get a flat or just a slow leak in your tire and need to just fill up the tire. i have heard from the people trying to sell the nitrogen machines that you dont mix air and nitrogen. then you have to go spending more $ on fixing your tire and replacing your nitrogen.

its 11:00 pm and my tire is low on nitrogen where do i go fill it up at? cant got to the circle K and just put air in it now.

for me the cost and inconvenience are not worth the socalled benefit of nitrogen.

dragon said:
once nitrogen becomes more avaliable i may think about it but its not worth the $35 it cost to fill them. then what do you do when you get a flat or just a slow leak in your tire and need to just fill up the tire. i have heard from the people trying to sell the nitrogen machines that you dont mix air and nitrogen. then you have to go spending more $ on fixing your tire and replacing your nitrogen.

its 11:00 pm and my tire is low on nitrogen where do i go fill it up at? cant got to the circle K and just put air in it now.

for me the cost and inconvenience are not worth the socalled benefit of nitrogen.

Ah.. Very good points... thanks.

I can fill them for free if you want to swing by Ft Hood:D W use nitrogen to fill the tires on our aircraft... so they wont expand in flight

I use nitrogen in my trailer tires for some of the reasons above, mainly less leakage and less problem with dryrot. One other bonus is I stay at closer to max airpressure on my two big trailers and with the nitrogen I don't have to consider the added pressure when they get hot on the interstate during a long trip.

I don't bother in cars

Joe

"Ma'am, how long has it been since you changed from winter to summer air in those tires......?"

D

Dragon,
I have a nitrogen bottle. We can coordinate a meeting in the near future if you want your tires filled.

For those who want to switch speak to your local welding supplier....pretty cheap to get a small bottle, regulator and line. $35 is a just a bit ridiculous.....

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back