NO BUS...please help!!

beastinside

Reaction score
I have an 05 QC, stock. I've been getting a no bus code in my odometer when I drive my truck. When the code comes up all the gauges stop working, radio wont work properly and I noticed my mileage wasn't registering. When I park and set the E-brake, no bus goes away, gauges function normally and the radio works again. This started as just an intermittent problem, then became an everyday thing. Sometimes while driving if I hit a bump the code would go away and everything would work fine, until I hit another bump then the code would come back and gauges would stop working.

I took my truck to the dealer I bought it from to have them work on it. They've had it for 2 weeks trying to figure out the problem. Apparently the aftermarket alarm was causing some sort of communication problem with the computer. They're telling me the truck needs a new PCM but they aren't able to track one down. So I have two questions for the viperheads out there.

1. Does any of this make since?
2. Where can I or the dealer get a new PCM for my truck?

Thanks in advance.

Contact Dan Lesser and Viper Specialty Performance and he will find you a PCM if he doesn't have one in stock.

You might also want to check for heat damage to the wire bundle that runs by the header on the passenger side of the engine bay

I had this same problem when my son put some quarters in my stereo and it shorted out all my gauges quit working. All i did is disconnect the battery and reset the pcm and it all works no issues

I had this same problem when my son put some quarters in my stereo and it shorted out all my gauges quit working. All i did is disconnect the battery and reset the pcm and it all works no issues

My stereo only takes dollar bills ;)..I'd try disconnecting the battery first also and then reset the pcm before ordering a new one.

Does it store any fault codes when this happens? The basic scanners that the parts stores use wont always pull codes from all modules. The Bus is a pair of wires that go to many modules, if anything on the Bus goes down you get the message. We always eliminate anything aftermarket ( alarms, radio, ect.). Try a tap test on the PCM, key on have someone watch cluster as you tap on PCM also gently twist and wiggle connectors on PCM. Try this test with PCM hot and room temp. Try setting park brake just enough to turn light on but not apply brake and see if bus message stays off. Unplug Radio and see if problem happens with radio unplugged. If PCM passes tap and wiggle test it is most likely not the problem. I think I have a used PCM but it will need programmed with your key code, so not a cheap guess.

Thanks for all the input. The truck is already in the shop so I can't do any of the suggested tests. I did do some research (came across IronAffliction's thread) and tried a few things before going to the shop but I have a warranty on it so I didn't try too hard. I contacted Dan from VSP and he has the pcm in stock so hopefully that'll do the trick. I'll post the results after it's done.

When you called Dan, did you tell him what you were experiencing?

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back