NO COMPRESSION in #1 cylinder SRT10

black

Reaction score
NO COMPRESSION in #1 SRT10
Hi all, I need advice.

I have a 2005 SRT10 Ram with 40,000 miles on it.
Started making rapid tapping sounds but not all the time.
Engine light is on.
Error codes are:
A. #1 cylinfer missfiring
B. O2 sensor
C. Charcoal canister by fuel tank.

Pulled top end off engine

Here is what I know so far.

A. No compression in #1 cylinder - only 5 PSI
B. The valves and top of #1 piston look very silvery and extra clean compared to the others firing good.
C. Cylinder wall looks very clean.
D. Valves and spring all seating good and vacuum test good from head shop.
E. Poured oil into #1 cylinder and did not leak into crank case in 48 hours.
F. cam and lifters look good.

The mechanic now wants to pull the #1 piston next and inspect it closer.

I looked at the engine oil and its not that bad with a few silver specs.

Where is the leak? I am very perplexed any thoughts?

You need to pull the oil pan and look up at the suspect piston. You might see the oil spring hanging. Compression is probably passing all the rings

Thanks Slitherbeast. If it is the rings can I buy a new sleeve, piston and rings and repair it? Any thoughts would be great. I am so lost without my truck running. I feel like Joe dirt without a hemi :D

Thanks Slitherbeast. If it is the rings can I buy a new sleeve, piston and rings and repair it? Any thoughts would be great. I am so lost without my truck running. I feel like Joe dirt without a hemi :D

What you need to do next is remove the problem piston. Then you can check the cylinder bore for damage. That will determine what you need to do with the block. Most likely it will need to over bored from stock size. Then you need to enlarge the other 9 holes so they are all the same size. If that hole is fucked up beyond all recognition then you may need a sleeve.

Lets simply just pull the oil pan and have a look. There are always options

shouldve just removed the In/Ex rockers and installed a hose into the spark plug hole and used a air compressor and problem found, if rings = hissing from crankcase, throttle body hissing = In valve / seat, Tail pipe hissing = Ex valve/ seat

What you need to do next is remove the problem piston. Then you can check the cylinder bore for damage. That will determine what you need to do with the block. Most likely it will need to over bored from stock size. Then you need to enlarge the other 9 holes so they are all the same size. If that hole is fucked up beyond all recognition then you may need a sleeve.

OK, I feel stupid now, can the sleeves be replaced on these 8.3L engines? Where do I buy sleeve's, rings and parts for these at the best pricing?

Just give me same key words and I'll google them. I really need some help with this project.

Thanks

OK, I feel stupid now, can the sleeves be replaced on these 8.3L engines? Where do I buy sleeve's, rings and parts for these at the best pricing?

Just give me same key words and I'll google them. I really need some help with this project.

Thanks

Why do you think you need a sleeve on you say cylinder looks good? I can get you stock, forged, whatever you need but we need to see whatcha got goin on first boss.
1+2 seem to be problematic in these engines.

My bet is a tuliped exhaust valve. Might seal with the rockers off.

My bet is a tuliped exhaust valve. Might seal with the rockers off.

Thanks! Many people in other forums have said to check this too as this can be easily missed with a visual inspection and explains the weird slapping and knocking noises that come when I let off the gas.

Any idea where I can buy some valves?:burnout:

Thanks

Yes the sleeves can be replaced, I really think you're jumping the gun on what parts you need. Get the engine pulled and disassembled and go from there.

Hi all, I need advice. I am very perplexed any thoughts?

I've seen where you've asked this on other forums too. The correct answer is to get the truck to someone who know what they are doing. They will actually diagnose the problem (rather than guessing) and will be able to tell you what parts you need, not the other way around.

Hi all, I need advice.

I have a 2005 SRT10 Ram with 40,000 miles on it.
Started making rapid tapping sounds but not all the time.
Engine light is on.
Error codes are:
A. #1 cylinfer missfiring
B. O2 sensor
C. Charcoal canister by fuel tank.

Pulled top end off engine

Here is what I know so far.

A. No compression in #1 cylinder - only 5 PSI
B. The valves and top of #1 piston look very silvery and extra clean compared to the others firing good.
C. Cylinder wall looks very clean.
D. Valves and spring all seating good and vacuum test good from head shop.
E. Poured oil into #1 cylinder and did not leak into crank case in 48 hours.
F. cam and lifters look good.

The mechanic now wants to pull the #1 piston next and inspect it closer.

I looked at the engine oil and its not that bad with a few silver specs.

Where is the leak? I am very perplexed any thoughts?

take it to a good, shop it will cost, but also its not a chevy
should have done a leak down test first of all, that is not by the way pouring oil over the piston seeing if it leaks by
the cam should be pulled and inspected, if the cylinder walls are clean then you wont need a new sleeve, they can be had, but not necessary unless you have gouged badly the walls, they can be bored up to 30 over, to a 4.060,
pull the piston check the rings since you already have the heads off, inspect the rings , sounds like a lean piston with the valves discolored, so check the injector also, if your going cheap, get a piston new rings, bearings put it back together
if not new pistons rods, go forged about as cheap to do

take it to a good, shop it will cost, but also its not a chevy
should have done a leak down test first of all, that is not by the way pouring oil over the piston seeing if it leaks by
the cam should be pulled and inspected, if the cylinder walls are clean then you wont need a new sleeve, they can be had, but not necessary unless you have gouged badly the walls, they can be bored up to 30 over, to a 4.060,
pull the piston check the rings since you already have the heads off, inspect the rings , sounds like a lean piston with the valves discolored, so check the injector also, if your going cheap, get a piston new rings, bearings put it back together
if not new pistons rods, go forged about as cheap to do

Yoda???

After lots of searching we figured out it was a collapsed lifter on the #1. $60.00 part and she's ALIVE again:D:burnout:

Maybe you should put a sleeve in it anyway just to be on the safe side. Lol

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back