Noise from Tranny...???

azpyroguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I noticed it today... it seems to be coming from the middle to rear right side of the truck... its louder when the passenger windows are open than when I have the drivers window open.

Its not a grinding, but more of a howling sound.. picture taking a 1 litre soda bottle and blowing over the top, that is as close as I can get to the sound..

There is a slight vibration I notice with it as well.

It will NOT do it in Park, Neutral, so I dont thinks its anything with the engine.

The sound is intermittent.. and is most noticebale in 1st and 2nd gears.

Once it shifts into Drive, the noise appears to go away.

I can get it to do it if I manually shift into 1st and 2nd.

Anyone ever heard this noise before...

Could this be the noise that guys are hearing from the oil coolers??

Yes I have Heard that On My Quad A couple of times. Just didn't want to bring it up Because everybody would think I'm making stupid Threads.

sounds like a ring and pinion noise from the axle, which would only do it on a stong pull, not coasting.

or posible the center bearing

Stinker said:
sounds like a ring and pinion noise from the axle, which would only do it on a stong pull, not coasting.

or posible the center bearing

This is not under a strong pull... its actually at very moderate to light accelleration... around 2000-3500rpm... range...

Under a hard pull the noise does not seem to be apparent...

check the bearing between the 2 driveshafts...I tore mine all to hell....caused vibration....

Is the noise related to RPM or Speed?

Does it change pitch when it shifts from 1st to 2nd or does it just continue to get louder as you go faster in the same gear?

Tranny shop figured out what the problem is... under low exhaust pressure I am getting a small leak... I felt so dumb...

azpyroguy said:
Tranny shop figured out what the problem is... under low exhaust pressure I am getting a small leak... I felt so dumb...
dont ever feel dumb about a noise on your truck,better safe then sorry.:rock:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back