Noise in Steering Column

SilvrSRT10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been tracking down a noise (rattle) that has been driving me crazy. I think I've narrowed it down to the steering column. I can bump the U-joint mounted to the rack & pinion which causes a rattle near the firewall. When going down the road, the road imperfections cause the rack & pinion to move around causing a constant rattle. I think the steering shaft is built to expand and contract inside the rubber bellows (not positive) but if a bearing or mount near the firewall is loose that takes up the movement first.

Has anyone else had a similar problem? Looks like I'll be taking it back to my dealer to have this checked unless it's an easy fix. Dave

Got the same thing....only happends at certain outside temps......

keep us updated.........

Update: Noise in steering column/ rack&pinion

The level 4 tech has ordered a new steering shaft U-joint and intermediate shaft. It will be installed tomorrow. I'm not sure this is going to fix it. With the investigating I've done, it seems that the shaft coming out the top of the rack & pinion is loose and causing the rattle. I can actually see the shaft move back and forth when I apply pressure. Have to wait and see what happens. I just said that "He's the tech and I hoped he was right". I hate it when someone tries to tell me how to do my job so I didn't come across as trying to tell him how to do his. I showed him what I had discovered as purely informational. He said he had just fixed a Dakota with the same problem this same way. Chasing the bugs out of a new vehicle is always soooo much fun :idea: .

All I can add is that GM has had a lot of problems with the steering intermediate shafts on their cars and trucks clunking. It's the slip joint that does it. GM just has us lube them.

Chaulk one up for the tech. I picked it up this afternoon and did not hear the rattle on the way home. He explained that on some vehicles the U-joint doesn't fit right and no amount of tightening the bolt will make it stop. So he ordered and installed the new on and the intermediate shaft for good measure. Everything sounds nice and tight and that's the way I like it :D . Have a good weekend.

RedRamRules said:
Was it fixed under warranty? Congrats on the fix :)
Absolutely, The truck only has 4700 miles on it so my dealership is happy to see me at the service door. I'm guessing they get to charge DCX for every moment they spend with me. So far I've had Carpet, Clutch Pedal, Power Steering Pump, Steering U-joint and Intermediate shaft and some minor paint and body imperfections taken care of. The only thing I've paid for is the programming of two ignition keys to the truck. I may be fortunate in the fact that I maintain their shop doors. Kind of the scratch my back I'll scratch yours deal. I'm just wondering how agreeable they will be once I'm past the 12/12 up to the 3 year/36 warranty.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back