Noisy powersteering pump

yellowfever#154

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I just did a ton of mods to the truck over the winter basically everything that is in my sig. Of course when I installed the supercharger I had to disconnect the powersteering lines. I tried bleeding the steering system but I just cant get rid of the pump noise. The steering seems to work fine just noisy as sh*t. Is there a specific way to bleed these things or do I magically have a bad pump?

yellowfever#154 said:
Hey guys, I just did a ton of mods to the truck over the winter basically everything that is in my sig. Of course when I installed the supercharger I had to disconnect the powersteering lines. I tried bleeding the steering system but I just cant get rid of the pump noise. The steering seems to work fine just noisy as sh*t. Is there a specific way to bleed these things or do I magically have a bad pump?

You might have tried this but typically on most power steering systems you would turn the steering wheel all the way to the left stop and right stop back to the center check fluid repeat if necessary until fluid level stays at the full mark with eng running also makes it easier if the front wheels are off the ground but not always necessary. This may not work with our trucks not sure... if not might have to look at the service manual?

Good luck
Joe

I know it's an old thread but is there any more info about this issue? I replaced the leaking lines and topped it off and worked fine. Now about 800 miles since I changed it, sounds like the ps pump is making a lot of noise. It quiets down when i turn the wheel but is its just idling, it gets real noisy. Pump bad? Thanks guys.

I know it's an old thread but is there any more info about this issue? I replaced the leaking lines and topped it off and worked fine. Now about 800 miles since I changed it, sounds like the ps pump is making a lot of noise. It quiets down when i turn the wheel but is its just idling, it gets real noisy. Pump bad? Thanks guys.

Could be air bound or pump could be shit. When my pump got noisy the fluid was contaminated with metallic flakes in it... If you see anything sparkling in the fluid it is definitely time for a new pump!

Probably a bad pump, there's been more than a few that have blown up.

In my case if I remember right, when I had the pump off I had lost a piece that drops in under the fitting where the pressure line threads on. I can't specifically remember what the piece was but some type of valve, maybe a pressure regulating valve or relief valve.

I installed a new pump as I couldn't find the missing piece and alls been well since.

Mine made a lot of noise for a few days and the pump went out wile I was driving its not fun with out power steering in these truck you will get a good arm work out

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back