O2 sensor or bad gas?

ViperZero

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Recently the weather has gotten cold and I've noticed that my truck is getting less than 6 miles per gallon. I know these trucks were not built for gas mileage but it seems lower than I'm used to. I usually see around 9 to 10 based on my local driving.

My buddy says it may be my O2 sensors not communicating properly and to change them, have you guys experience any of these issues during the winter with maybe crappy gas or 02 sensors?

Only modification to the truck is K&N CAI. Otherwise it's bone stock.

Last edited:
The cooler it runs the more fuel the PCM will dump in, usually a bad o2 will set off a CEL, any lights on, on the dash???

Cycle key 3 times from off to on, leaving in on position 3rd time, it'll show stored codes in odometer area. :chain:

No CEL, just black exhaust tips from running rich. Occasional check gauges for low voltage, going to replace the battery. I'm pretty sure it's the original Mopar battery.
It's winter here in NJ and has been under 40 for a few consecutive weeks.
Did the key diagnostic and say done.
BTW I have 134k on the odometer. Doing plugs on a nice day, the wires were done.

Thinking maybe a tune could help out in the spring.

Last edited:
No CEL, just black exhaust tips from running rich. Occasional check gauges for low voltage, going to replace the battery. I'm pretty sure it's the original Mopar battery.
It's winter here in NJ and has been under 40 for a few consecutive weeks.
Did the key diagnostic and say done.
BTW I have 134k on the odometer. Doing plugs on a nice day, the wires were done.

Thinking maybe a tune could help out in the spring.

Time won't help if its not running correct first ;)
Go ahead and do those plugs:rock:

Viper/viper truck PCMs don't like low battery voltage, I would figure out your charging/battery issue.

I think it is in "limp home" mode. Disconnect the battery for a couple minuites then reattach . A way of resetting the tune would be good. Can you find an OBDII reader anywhere to erase the codes? Your buddy is correct , the computer isn't responding to inputs and is not adjusting the fuel trim,.. just dumping fuel into her. probably not the O2 sensors . could be any number of things.

Viper/viper truck PCMs don't like low battery voltage, I would figure out your charging/battery issue.

I agree, I would go with a new battery, Your over due anyway. I'll bet it will put a smile on your face, Like said above these trucks are touchy when it comes to the battery. ;)

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back