Odd problem with the truck today. . .

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Roz, Mar 9, 2009.

Car Parts
  1. Roz

Roz Active Member Supporting Member

On my way to go bear witness to FATJACK's super-bad-ass 60' time (and super-bad-ass 1/8th time) I stopped by our good buddy Mark's house. On the way to his house, I noticed my fog-lights had quit working (yes, both of them). Since we're on our way to meet Jack, I pay it little attention and decide to look at it later. So I get in my truck to start it, and it doesn't do squat!!! Doesn't turn over, or nothing! :mad: :eek:

I pop the hood, and Mark and I inspect all the obvious fuses and they're all ok. He hops in it, pushes the button, and it had like a 2 second delay, and it started. He left it on, and suggested I drive it home and get it in the garage since it's running. When I got it home, I tried re-starting it and it did as it should four times. I figure it may be the actual push-button switch, or the clutch-start switch going bad.

I haven't solved my fog-light dilema. I installed some HID's a while back, and I thought that may be the problem. (They were plug-n-play, so I am confused how they both took a dump at the same time) I swear I remember them working as I left the house, I remember seeing the reflection. I do recall flashing my brights at someone to warn them of an officer sitting on the side of the road, so that may have caused a short . . ? I tried unplugging my HID's, and re-installing a good fog-light bulb, and that didn't work either. So whatever feeds power to my fogs is toast. :( What's odd, is the indicator lights up on the dash.

Has anyone had either problem before? I'm confused how the two are related, and even more confused how this happened on the same day! :mad:

Thanks in advance!

2. Roz

. . . And of coarse I just turned 36k miles a couple weeks ago!

3. kickinassrt-10

kickinassrt-10 Full Access Member

I'm not sure about the push start issue, may be something electrical or something that just acted up for a moment there? As far as the fog lights if you installed HID that is your problem, especially if they are linked to each other, I had that problem on my last truck with the kit I installed...then again it could be just as simple as a loose wire or a fuse!

4. moparracing

moparracing Full Access Member

check the relay for your fog lights to see if it's working....... as far as your engine starting, your 2 ideas sound like a good place to start......:)

5. Black1

Black1 Full Access Member

It could be something under the dash.... It's weird some of the electrical things that are on the same circuit (having had a GM F-Body should make this familiar... ;) ). Something might have come loose. :dontknow:

6. Roz

LOL! I've already got my dashed ripped apart.

I finally decided to look at my Service Manual DVD (which I should have done first) and I'm reading about some dumb Totally Integrated Power Module (started in 06 - go figure). Looks like the Ignition Start button is part of this wonderful TIPM.

:rolleyes:

It looks like the Ignition Start, and Fog Lamp Output are side-by-side on this thing. C7 is the Ignition Switch and C8 is the Fog Lamp Output (I assume "C" stands for Circuit)

7. Django

Django New Member Supporting Member

...either that or "Chit..!".............:dontknow:

D

8. Azmotorhead

Azmotorhead Full Access Member

While you dig through the manuals and wiring of your truck maybe you can solve the problem I've had since day 1.
    At night while my headlights are on the hi beam indicator will faintly (& I mean very faintly) flash about once every 20- 30 seconds.
    If you looking directly at the dash you will not see it, but driving eyes up with cluster lights turned down to about 1/4 bright I can detect it.
    Dealer couldn't find a problem

9. Black1

Figures they (Dodge) would do some shit like that. :rolleyes: ..... I'd hate to see the price on that puppy. :( Better start looking around junk yards! :eek:

10. Venom Power

Venom Power Full Access Member

HEY!! ROZenhiemenberger.. This is the exact symptom I had. But it involved my headlights. They would remain on even with the switch off and the truck wouldn't start. Eventually it would be okay. Sometimes while driving the entire instrument cluster would light up as if I just turned the key forward. Then it would reset and all would be good.. When I went to Macon it JUST so happened to occur while Taliban Dan was scratching his head hearing my description of the problem. In under three minutes he discovered a loose ground under the driver side dash. I never had a problem like that again. BUT, since I had been experiencing this issue for quite sometime, apparently an alternate route was followed for ground blowing the relay for the door locks. I literally saw smoke come from the cluster. Door locks hadn't worked since right before the Macon GTG. So for the time being I 70's the passenger side door lock to let someone in. On my to do list for fixing.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2009
  11. Ironhead

Ironhead Full Access Member

i was there too and ,the grounds he looked at were the one on the front of the engine block on drivers side ,,

the other one is down on the drivers side under dash ,,easy to get to ..
    i would undo both sandpaper them and retighten ,when dan went down the electrical drawing you could see were the ground for Ants door locks were on same curciut and smoked the gound in it !

12. jontyre

jontyre Full Access Member

Roz, I am currently having this same problem and you nailed it on the head with the power module. Mine has been on order for about 2 weeks and still waiting, apparently not a very popular part for dodge to have in stock. Keep us updated, and I will do the same when I get mine fixed.

13. GriffsSRT

GriffsSRT Full Access Member

HEy Jimi check between the drivers seat and steering wheel!!

14. ntw0rk

ntw0rk New Member Supporting Member

That's EXACTLY what I was going to say!! :rofl: :rofl:

15. Roz

What year is your truck? Dodge didn't start this TIPM bullcrap until 06+.

Yeah, the TIPM is actually my "fuse-box". If I understand correctly, it contains "smart" :)rolleyes: ) technology and can detect/control amps/volts etc. Whatever it does, it can lick my scrote! :mad: I'm probably going to have to get under my dealer's desk or start selling Cort's ass. The chances of me finding a wrecked (2006) SRT10 is going to be slim-to-none.

Interesting. Can you pin-point the exact location of the ground so I'll know where to look. Naturally, I read this AFTER I've put my dash back together! :eek: :p

Thanks for the 411, bish. :D

I'm scared it's going to be the TIPM. Two weeks?! Man, that bites! I wonder if the HID's caused the problem? I'm going to give my dealer a call and see what they can do. I have 36,2xx miles on my truck! Did you have to buy the TIPM, or is your truck under warranty?

For fun, I disconnected my battery for 15 minutes or so, and reconnected and I still have the problem.

Also, upon my searching, I found this last night.
    http://www.dodge.com/bodybuilder/2008/docs/dcdm/dcdmextlitmod.pdf

Keep me posted as well Jon. :)

Oh, almost forgot. Are you having BOTH the no-start AND fog-light disfunction, or just the fog-light problem?

:thefinger:

:thefinger:

16. JTS VENOM PERFORMANCE

JTS VENOM PERFORMANCE Active Member Preferred Vendor

go back and look at what you recently done, that is the best starting point.

and not talking grey goose and a can of red paint:p

17. Roz

I tried that already. I unplugged my HID's and plugged my stock fogs back in. Still a no-go. :(

Hmmm, the Vodka. You may be on to something there! :congrats:

18. 5_0_BAIT

5_0_BAIT Full Access Member

AZmotorhead. I thought it was supposed to do that. I thought it was an indicator that is was too dark outside and the computer recommended high beams:dontknow: Mine does it too 05 QC

19. jontyre

jontyre Full Access Member

Went to the dealer first Roz, they wont cover shit since I have the HIDs. Dealers suck, and they wonder why they are all going bankrupt! No service anymore..

20. Black1

:D :D :D :D ........ It's Monday.... You aint got no job.... you ain't got SHIT to do tomorrow.... :D :D :D :D :dontknow: :eek: :p

:cheers: