oil...... again..

Mr_hd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi there, i've to change oil...... and reading about what u said about mobil1 ( new formula ecc), I was lookin around to see another syntetic ( mobil1 here is almost 15$/qt).

Where I live in Italy, temp, during the year goes from 23° to 98°/100 °.

This w\e, outside temp was 92°, inside water and oil 200°.

I was thinking about Lucas oil 10W-40 syntetic.

What do you think ?

thx

Andrea

If it works don't change it...there have been lots of comments about formula changes with Mobil 1 Syn. I think this is "much to do about nothing"...

I also think that trying to lower expenses by changing brands of oil is a poor reason for changing away from Mobil 1.

You will find advocates for every brand of oil. My opinion is to stick with the recommended oil unless you find strong evidence that it is not the best solution, for your particular application.

Many of us did change transmission fluid based on the recommendation of the manufacturer of the transmission...I have not heard that kind of compelling statement about changing engine oil.

Lucas fully synthetic 10w-40 would be a good choice for your climate. Lucas makes a quality product.
We run Lucas Synthetic oil stabelizer with a special Maxima Synthetic oil in the Top fuel funny car with good results.
Mobile 1 is very good, (I use Mobile 15w-50 myself, but I only pay 6.00 per qt.) but there are others that meet all the specs and work well.

Prof said:
I think this is "much to do about nothing"...

Uh, that's "Much Ado About Nothing".;)

I agree. Other than viscocity adjustment for temp, why change if there's nothing wrong with what the specified oil is?

Ram From Hell said:
Uh, that's "Much Ado About Nothing".;)

I agree. Other than viscocity adjustment for temp, why change if there's nothing wrong with what the specified oil is?

You are full of do do...:p

If I had made the quote literal, I would have had to footnote the quotation...too lazy to do that, inject an error and never worry about attribution..

How's that for a lame excuse on the fly?:eek: :eek:

an interesting discovery on my part, I switched from 10W40 cheap 99 cent dino oil to 0W20 mobil 1 in my scion and the gas mileage dropped from 36mpg average to 30 mpg average. (28 mpg sometimes!)

so i changed to 15w50 mobil one and the gas mileage went up a little bit to 32 mpg.

now I'm back to running the cheap stuff and the mileage is 36-39 average. little tiny engines can really tell the difference and it shows at the pump. no reason to waste money on oil just so I have to waste money at the pump too!

mobil 1 is actually not that great of an oil IMO.

Prof said:
If it works don't change it...there have been lots of comments about formula changes with Mobil 1 Syn. I think this is "much to do about nothing"....

I respectfully disagree :D . The API SM specification has been the most controversial specification to date. The new API SM spec has been largely EPA driven to reduce emissions (even more) and increase catalytic converter life. In response to the EPA stricter requirements ILSAC (American and Japanese auto manufactures) release their GF-4 oil spec recommendation. This called for the reduction in Phosphorus Content, ASTM D 4951 0.08% (mass) maximum and Sulfur Content,ASTM D 4951 or 0.5% (mass) maximum ASTM D 2622 0.7% (mass) maximum. These additives have the primary responsibility for lubricating and anti-wear. The API did not have a unanimous vote to approve the SM spec. Based on the research I have done, my opinion is to stick to a SL spec oil if you can find it. I contacted Royal Purple (my favorite brand) about this, and they will not be complying with the SM specification until they can match the anti-wear characteristics of the SL specification with SM.

I concur that Mobil 1 is a great oil. However, Exxon Mobil does not have much choice in complying. They can either cater to everyone outside the US market and stick with SL or they can comply with producing the SM spec oil for the largest auto market. This is one case where newer isn't better, at least for your engine.

...my 2 pesos
-Muzzy

Yes, Muzzy, but Joe has no right talking oil changes since his rig has only 2k on it, he has yet the need to do an oil change! ;)

I am sure knowing him, he has done 3-4 already (Joe, I love you brother) :)

But as discussed earlier, the Mobil1 0-40w for eurpoean car is still SL rated.

TREKER said:
Yes, Muzzy, but Joe has no right talking oil changes since his rig has only 2k on it, he has yet the need to do an oil change! ;)

I am sure knowing him, he has done 3-4 already (Joe, I love you brother) :)

But as discussed earlier, the Mobil1 0-40w for eurpoean car is still SL rated.
You are correct oh wise one! (3x):)

joemags54 said:
You are correct oh wise one! (3x):)

3 times??? Holy Schmoly!!!

It is synthetic oil guy!!!!;) You are a nut, but you are okay in my book... Change my oil...:D

3 times in 2K miles? Those must be drag race miles. That's right man...drive it like you stole it. :rock:

-Muzzy

Muzzy said:
3 times in 2K miles? Those must be drag race miles. That's right man...drive it like you stole it. :rock:

-Muzzy

Uhmmmm no.... 2k miles backing it in and out of his driveway maybe ;) I dont think he took the plastic cover off the shifter ball yet. :D :D :D

TREKER said:
Uhmmmm no.... 2k miles backing it in and out of his driveway maybe ;) I dont think he took the plastic cover off the shifter ball yet. :D :D :D

Holy crap, it probably has never been washed either. I know a guy that is like that. Life's too short to just look at it :laugh:

-Muzzy

TREKER said:
:eek:rly: I hope your having a good time at my expense! By the way:eek:fftopic: :D

Muzzy said:

-Muzzy

Muzzy has become quickly known for his excellent technical input in various areas. The above post proves that he is also emotionally unstable, overly enthusiastic and just like 99% of the rest of us here!

"Drive it like you stole it...:"rock: :rock: :rock:

Prof said:
The above post proves that he is also emotionally unstable, overly enthusiastic and just like 99% of the rest of us here!

Dang it! I must have forgotten to take my meds again. :laugh:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back